• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Reccomended Ideas for Pokemon Story

Forgive me, as im pretty sure this isnt the place for these kinds of threads, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or ideas from people here if possible? Im in the middle of a pokemon story im writing and Im looking for any idea's or suggesions from fans who think they would be cool for me to add in my story. To know it better, here's the plot to it so far:

This story leaves off from the most latent popular event within the Pokemon world: Ash Ketchum managing to defeat Team Flare and becoming the savior of the world, protecting it from destruction. Ultimately, this leads Ash to fufilling to his life-long dream and he finally becomes the worlds most powerful Pokemon Master. But as the cycle of the seasons, the Pokemon world must now move on to its newest chapter.

The story currently takes place in the future, 20 years after the Team Flare crisis, who attempted the destroy the whole world. Ever since then, the world has lived in times of peace, with Pokemon beginning to go through an entirely new era. Here we have our stories newest MC, Bolt Ketchum. He is the son of Ash Ketchum, who is currently the strongest trainer in the entire world, otherwise known as the Grand Champion Master. Along with Bolt is his special, and number 1 friend Pikachu, who he interestingly shares a powerful bond with. However, unlike everyone else, Bolt grows to dislike his father for not only failing to be there and care for him most of his life, but instead choosing to focus on his busy job on being the current Generations champion, hero and overal role model as he and his friends work to try and rebuild the Pokemon world. Because of this, he resents Ash who seemingly ignores him and despite being his son, almost wants nothing to do with, whom he refers to as, a loser. To be a totally different and 'better' person. For almost his whole life, Bolt has had to grow up on his own without his father. In fact, all Bolt really had for most of his complicated hard life was....well....Pokemon, his only friends for a long time. Friends that really cared and understood him as if they were the same person. Especially his own partner Pikachu. And because of this, Bolt has also questioned his own purpose for living in the life he has been living many times, wondering what his destiny really was. What he should really do with the life he has been given. And he has also wondered if his destiny had anything to do with Pokemon, the strange unknown creatures, whom he has had as his only friends, that thrive in this world. But now, being past the age 10 (Yes he is ******* AGING In this xD), beginning to tap into the potential he has as a trainer (the potential to have the power to shape his own path), Bolt wishes to find out what his destiny is by becoming a full fledged pokemon trainer and gaining strength along the way to become THE VERY best, aiming to surpass even his father in his own way (yea he doesn't want to follow Ashes way of being a trainer at all) to prove he is the strongest, forming many friendships and rivalries along the way in this very new generation of Pokemon!

So what do you guys think? Do you like it or hate it? And what suggestions and/or ideas would you want to add into this story?

Only advice I can give is to avoid the biggest cliche in Pokemon fan stories, and thats making the world hyper grimdark. Dark undertones is fine, but grimdark Pokemon always comes off as lame IMO.

Darkanine said:
Only advice I can give is to avoid the biggest cliche in Pokemon fan stories, and thats making the world hyper grimdark. Dark undertones is fine, but grimdark Pokemon always comes off as lame IMO.
Grimdark?

Anime4Life2020 said:
Darkanine said:
Grimdark?

Typically, Grimdark in Pokemon stories refer to the world being corrupted, polluted, characters swearing in every sentence, Pokemon and Humans dying left and right. Just a general very unpleasant atmosphere. Having dark elements can be great, just don't overuse them.

Darkanine said:
Anime4Life2020 said:
Darkanine said:
Grimdark?
Typically, Grimdark in Pokemon stories refer to the world being corrupted, polluted, characters swearing in every sentence, Pokemon and Humans dying left and right. Just a general very unpleasant atmosphere. Having dark elements can be great, just don't overuse them.
Ahh i get it. Yea im not there's only so much of that happening and that would be special scenes related to the plot.

1. Befriend with pokemon.

2. Not following his dad route.

Pick one. Or just lead his youth drive him forward to his dad route without really notice it, since having massive bond is a requirement and the way his dad would have goes. Maybe just have this slightly different by having all the mega-evolution gem in the world or something.

And maybe change his name to something other than Bolt, since you know... Boruto.

Maybe something like:

Ash is now champion and hero like you said...

New MC is Ash's son who tries to come out of his father's shadow and become something not a pokemon master (coordinator? professor? doctor?) despite everyone around him, mom and friends included being excited and expecting him to follow in his father's footsteps. Also, Ash comes around every now and then to help him, keeping him out of trouble being given by his enemies to protect his kid, regardless of the MC knowing it or not, trying to be a doting father that he never experienced while still giving the kid some freedom (a deuterotagonist position for Ash if you will).

or

New MC is some random kid who idolizes Ash and tries to follow him around, deconstructing and overanalyzing his every move (even though Ash's moves are pretty straightforward) and tries to follow those ways (as he thinks those are what Ash does), and tends to get into trouble. Also, Ash becomes busy fighting off big threats, while the MC (in Pokemon's typical adventure fashion) always gets in the right place at the wrong time and gets into battles with the smaller threats along his way to become a new Pokemon master.

Change the MC's name maybe since, like Andykhang said, Boruto.

Anyways, yeah. That's all I got.

Gemmysaur said:
Maybe something like:
Ash is now champion and hero like you said...

New MC is Ash's son who tries to come out of his father's shadow and become something not a pokemon master (coordinator? professor? doctor?) despite everyone around him, mom and friends included being excited and expecting him to follow in his father's footsteps. Also, Ash comes around every now and then to help him, keeping him out of trouble being given by his enemies to protect his kid, regardless of the MC knowing it or not, trying to be a doting father that he never experienced while still giving the kid some freedom (a deuterotagonist position for Ash if you will).

or

New MC is some random kid who idolizes Ash and tries to follow him around, deconstructing and overanalyzing his every move (even though Ash's moves are pretty straightforward) and tries to follow those ways (as he thinks those are what Ash does), and tends to get into trouble. Also, Ash becomes busy fighting off big threats, while the MC (in Pokemon's typical adventure fashion) always gets in the right place at the wrong time and gets into battles with the smaller threats along his way to become a new Pokemon master.

Change the MC's name maybe since, like Andykhang said, Boruto.

Anyways, yeah. That's all I got.
Yea but Its hard to think of a name tho. I was spending all day one time trying to think of names and Bolt is all i came up with that was good. And it makes perfect sense since he has an electric type as his partner lol. Also isnt Boruto just the japanese version of Bolt? I dont think there would be that big of a notice

Considering the amount of pun named characters in Pokemon (Brock and Candice for example), Bolt seems like a fine name imo, fits in with Pokemon pretty nicely.

Dont forget Misty too lol

It also makes sense because his partner is also a Pikachu and Pikachu can learn Thunderbolt. Get it, lol?

I know Bolt isnt exactly the most original name, especially with Boruto now in existence, but its the only name so far I could think of that fits and flows with Pokemon perfectly.

Anime4Life2020 said:
Yea but Its hard to think of a name tho.

Also isnt Boruto just the japanese version of Bolt?
Yes, Boruto = Bolt. And it's painfully obvious (at least to people who saw how Naruto ended, which is a lot) but I'm not stopping you there.

As for other names, I can suggest:

GUYS

Rai (trust, lightning, thunder - japanese origin)

Tarran (thunder - english origin)

GIRLS

Tama (lightning - native american origin)

Sorine (thunder god - danish origin, denmark if you don't know where danish people are from just in case)

GENDER NEUTRAL

Tyrell (thunder ruler - english/american origin)

Hmm. Rai i thought of but that name has been done before and is really common. Tho I never once though of Tarran or Tyrell.....

However, doesnt the english version of Pokemon stick to english only names?

Gemmysaur said:
Alai is celtic
Alanna is possibly old german

Alder is derived from proto-germanic

Alouette is french/canadian

Angus is gaelic

Allegra is italian

...so I'd have to say no. The dubbed version does not only use english names.
Ah k. But the problem is so far im in the middle of making chapter 3 and the MC has already been refered to as Bolt.

However I have an idea: what if i make his nickname Bolt while his real name is one of the one's you suggested? That way his name wouldnt technically be just Bolt.

Could be. It's typically not referred to in-universe what a person's name means, so people calling him Bolt for his electrifying personality or something can be a pass for him to have another name (that can be revealed when he signs up for something that requires his actual name or when his mom calls him while angry).

I'm not forcing you to give him another name though. Oh, and if you have a link for the story (FFnet?), I'd like to have a read if possible. I like me some fanfics.

Gemmysaur said:
Could be. It's typically not referred to in-universe what a person's name means, so people calling him Bolt for his electrifying personality or something can be a pass for him to have another name (that can be revealed when he signs up for something that requires his actual name or when his mom calls him while angry).
I'm not forcing you to give him another name though. Oh, and if you have a link for the story (FFnet?), I'd like to have a read if possible. I like me some fanfics.
Nah your good. I like taking in other peoples thoughts and opinions, even if they are negative ones. That way its not only fair but it also helps me gain experience on what to write in for future chapters or stories. So no matter what your opnion about this is, its a help and it gets taken into consideration. It's at least better than the same rinse and repeat cycle the anime has been taking all these years

Hmm...i can try to give it to you. I have an account on FFnet but i havent used it yet. I'll try n figure something out.

Anime4Life2020 said:
Hmm...i can try to give it to you. I have an account on FFnet but i havent used it yet. I'll try n figure something out.
Thanks for that. No pressure though, anytime you feel like it. I'm in no hurry.

Gemmysaur said:
Anime4Life2020 said:
Thanks for that. No pressure though, anytime you feel like it. I'm in no hurry.
Oh I know lol. However I think I could just post the whole chapters on my message wall on my profile. Then all you'd need to do is just come to my profile and read it if you wanted to.

I see. I'll be waiting till then. Goodluck on your story dude. I'd probably be dropping by your wall every now and then or something.

Gemmysaur said:
I see. I'll be waiting till then. Goodluck on your story dude. I'd probably be dropping by your wall every now and then or something.
Thanks man. I already have 2 chapters done for quite a while now. I'll post them both on my wall later and you can drop by anytime to read them. That goes for anyone else interested too.

Gemmysaur said:
Hey, Gem chapter 1 to my story has been posted so you can drop by on my mssg wall if you wanna read it. Forgive the grammar or spelling mistakes lol

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be reading it a bit later, but my god that's a long-ass post. Maybe it would've been better as a blog? Meh. Anyways, thanks again.

Gemmysaur said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be reading it a bit later, but my god that's a long-ass post. Maybe it would've been better as a blog? Meh. Anyways, thanks again.
Np. And yea my fault I assumed it wouldnt be as long its just that each line has so large ass spaces. Next time i'll try and make it shorter.

Back