• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding relativity

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan

VS Battles
Calculation Group
After seeing several calcs about it, I want to bring up a problem about relativity.

Relativity is usually inconsistent in fiction. Even when speedster are standing still, he still views the world in slow-motion, for example this, and the Quicksilver (MCU) bullet-in-slow-motion feat. In reality, they should only perceive the world in slow-motion when they're running.

I think this video explains it accurately. Gubz believes speedsters in fiction should have an "on/off button", that they can turn their speedster powers on and off, instead of actually relativity. They can live normally, yet perceive the world slower somehow when they "turn on" their powers. I think that is the best explanation.

So, I think there should be a note on the calculations page, that the relativity formula should not be used unless in special cases. Instead, we should use the slow-motion formula (real speed of reference object/apparent speed of reference object*apparent speed of object of interest), which is much more consistent.

Former calc group members, calc group members and Kaltias only

I don't think anything is necessary. Some characters have information processing that is not dependent on time dilation. Flash can process events in an attosecond. He doesn't need to move to comprehend at such rates.

Yes, that is a possible theory as well.

What I meant is too add a note or something like that that the time relativity formula should not be used, due to inconsistency and lolfiction.

I don't care what is the real explanation, but it should be noted the relativity formula should not be used due to inconsistency.

So simply adding two sentences like "Do not assume that a character viewing the world in slow motion is caused by time dilation. The depiction usually doesn't match the real life phenomena and this effect is commonly caused by the character being able to process events very fast, so that they seem to happen in slow motion to them, instead." at the end of the "Slow Motion Calculations"-section? I would be fine with that.

Well of course fiction is going to be inconsistent if you treat it all like a big monolith.

I don't understand how we can say with any sort of certainty that "fiction tends to do ____" because I can assure you there is always an overwhelming amount of other works of fiction that do otherwise. Nothing is consistent in fiction because fiction isn't a hive mind.

However I am okay with DontTalk's suggestion.

Don't we just calculate how much times the time was slowed and then multiply that per the typical human reactions? Wouldn't suggest using relativistic time unless is stated to work with such physic principle or the other method create an outlierish result.

Yes, it tends to be outlierish. It is also inaccurate, as many characters see time dilated when standing still. I've seen a lot of people use that formula, and I realized we have no policy not to use that formula.

Should I ask Antvasima to unlock the page and add the sentence DontTalkDT suggested?

"Do not assume that a character viewing the world in slow motion is caused by time dilation. The depiction usually doesn't match the real life phenomena and this effect is commonly caused by the character being able to process events very fast, so that they seem to happen in slow motion to them, instead."

What page do I need to temporarily unlock?

Also, please be extremely careful to do a proper job when editing it.

Back