• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Superman's speed.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
On the calc that's listed for his current speed, there's a calc at 1.something billion c that states swinging speed, which is combat speed, but we only rate him for the 260c speed feat. Although this came from Karate Kid, Supes normally scales to whatever he can do, right? This has been on my mind for a while, so sorry if this has been addressed before.

Are there other combat speed feats that has backed it up? IIRC, Supes most consistently has had MFTL speeds, but not many billions of times FTL feats.

Not sure why Superman (post-crisis, righ?) still being rated that slow, one time he suggested to have femtosecond reaction, and that without counting some statements fro the authors.

I am honestly not sure. My apologies for not being able to answer your question, man. I am more of a fan from afar of Supes, so I don't know his feats as well as I'd know say, Kirby. It's just that the calc has been accepted, hence it being on one of the most controversial character's page, yet there's no mention of it without clicking the link.

I don't see how having femtosecond reactions is an outlier, authors as mentioned about this and I think that even Batman mentioned about Superman having zeptosecond reaction (still without source, this was said by a Nerdist scientist).

Antoniofer said:
I don't see how having femtosecond reactions is an outlier, authors as mentioned about this and I think that even Batman mentioned about Superman having zeptosecond reaction (still without source, this was said by a Nerdist scientist).
Batman has said different stuff about Superman's speed more often than not.

Well, I am willing to allow modifications, if Matthew builds a solid case for it.

I'm wondering why Post-Crisis Barry Allen doesn't scale to Superman's combat speed. He's supposedly the fastest man alive but has FTL travel speed to Superman's MFTL combat speed.

Not sure why Superman (post-crisis, righ?) still being rated that slow, one time he suggested to have femtosecond reaction, and that without counting some statements fro the authors.
You mean this?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111130781/3636108-3150638629-super.jpg

Superman never actually claimed/stated to had femtosecond of reaction time or combat speed.

even Batman mentioned about Superman having zeptosecond reaction (still without source, this was said by a Nerdist scientist).
I heard this too, but i haven't found anything about that, so i must guess that it just some made up crap for some wanker.

Anyway for the main topic, while i do still think that combat speed and travel speed are not the same thing, i do think Superman could still reach MFTL+ speed in combat, but only when he can accelerate.

While regardless his best instant speed feats are just around MFTL, if he keep to accelerate for enough time, he could reach MFTL++ speed even in combat (this is how he can still more or less keep up with speedforce users).

But he need to accelerate for reach those speed (aka he need time to build that level of speed, he cannot instantly became MFTL+), so when he stop his momentum he would return to had only MFTL speed.

So characters that are normally MFTL+ speed without acceleration, would still be advantaged in raw speed.

Superman still has a MFTL+ Combat Speed Feat, namely fighting with Superboy-Prime all the way to the Andromeda Galaxy in seconds.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Superman still has a MFTL+ Combat Speed Feat, namely fighting with Superboy-Prime all the way to the Andromeda Galaxy in seconds.
Wasn't he fighting from Earth to Oa too? not sure the distance, but Oa is in the center of the Universe

Matthew Schroeder said:
Post Crisis (and Earth-Two) were actually using their own travel speed to reach all the way to Rao.

We can't say for sure, but it's very clear that they were struggling, clashing, reacting and fighting along the way. It scales to more speeds than just travel.

Matthew Schroeder said:
We can't say for sure, but it's very clear that they were struggling, clashing, reacting and fighting along the way. It scales to more speeds than just travel.
Struggling, yes (as Earth-Two and Post Crisis would need to force Superboy-Prime to come with them).

But reacting and fighting, sorry to said but the scenes doesn't show or even suggest anything like that.

I am personally uncertain. It would he better if we had a straight combat speed feat. However, I suppose that we might be able to scale him to Karate Kid.

I'm sorry but if these characters are able to punch, move their arms attempting to restrain each other and have dialogue within a timeframe short enough that people capable of galactic travel haven't reached their destination yet, that shows clear MFTL+ combat speed and reactions.

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt at all for Matt to try and find other feats as well.

Well, if a character is throwing a punch while flying at a certain speed, I do not think that the flight speed automatically translates into movement speed and reflexes.

In order to get an accurate gauge for that, we would have to know the number of punches thrown within the timeframe in question.

If it, for example, took several minutes to travel, and Superman simply hit Superboy Prime a few dozen times within that timespan, it is not very impressive.

@Ant I'm not saying that flight speed, travel speed and reactions are scaled to be the same with Superman.

However if he's flying fast enough to travel to a galaxy in any somewhat reasonable timeframe (even a year would qualify) then he'd be MFTL+.

If he's capable of throwing a punch, moving his arms and reacting while flying at such speeds, then his combat and reactions should be MFTL+. Even if a lesser degree than his flight is.

I understand where you're coming from. I really do. But I beg to differ. Superman has to fly from point A to point B, perceive SBP in his rage, and try not to die to SBP being SBP.

Well, space is mostly empty, so there would not be much to avoid, and again, the number of punches thrown while travelling the distance are what seems relevant to scale.

I understand that his exact speed would vary based upon number punches, when he's doing it, etc.

However being able to react at all (reacting to SBP) and move at all while flying at such massive speeds, should be a MFTL+ feat. Regardless of what degree of MFTL+ exactly.

Back