• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removing Underwater Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but wouldn't it actually make sense if Non-Standard Breathing has another type for physiological Underwater Breathing? As that wouldn't actually be superhuman at all to them as that's just how fishes work

Last edited:
No?

Underwater Breathing is a very notable and distinct enough ability in fiction for it to stay. It having a broader power category that includes it doesn't make it automatically applicable for deletion.

It would be like deleting electricity manipulation since it's just energy manip.

The issue here is that Underwater Breathing is too hyper-specific to warrant being a legitimate ability. Non-Standard Breathing covers it and then some.

Does this include breathing in space?
Yeah, just take a look at the Non-Standard Breathing page. It covers all forms of breathing that aren't standard earth atmosphere. I separated it into two types: one for physiology or supernatural based breathing and another for breathing with an apparatus (scuba diving gear, gas mask, etc.)

No?

Underwater Breathing is a very notable and distinct enough ability in fiction for it to stay. It having a broader power category that includes it doesn't make it automatically applicable for deletion.

It would be like deleting electricity manipulation since it's just energy manip.

Eh, sort of this. I'd argue putting Underwater Breathing as a 'sub category' to non-standard breathing, similar to how we quantify types of causality / elemental manip etc.

Besides, chances are that profiles can just call a power 'underwater breathing', and then link to non-standard breathing. I've seen it done before with certain instances of aura/blessed/superhuman physical characteristics etc.

Shouldn't the non-standard breathing ability have information to allow profiles to specify the type of breathing? A fish can breath under water but not in poison vapour, and gas masks or similar things might filter the gas but be unable to breathe through the water.

I think the "other planets" definition has an issue with how fictional planets are usually just treated as breathable, rather than requiring a special ability to breathe without oxygen.

Sure, but wouldn't it actually make sense if Non-Standard Breathing has another type for physiological Underwater Breathing? As that wouldn't actually be superhuman at all to them as that's just how fishes work
Is anyone not going to address this at all?

Isn’t that just another saying of Type 1 UB? We can just merge all of its types to the NSB page in a format similar to NEP.

Is anyone not going to address this at all?
I already addressed it. The baseline is air within the Earth's atmosphere that humans can comfortably breathe in. Fish gills would fall under Non-Standard Breathing as Type 1.

No. Electricity has special properties and act very different compared to mechanical energy.

This site's nomenclature is objectively it's worst possible thing, I hate, hate, hate the name Non-Standard Breathing.

Your OP doesn't go over this: do you intend to go through and change all mentions of Underwater Breathing to Non-Standard Breathing, either manually or via bot, or have you secured help with this?

This site's nomenclature is objectively it's worst possible thing, I hate, hate, hate the name Non-Standard Breathing.

Your OP doesn't go over this: do you intend to go through and change all mentions of Underwater Breathing to Non-Standard Breathing, either manually or via bot, or have you secured help with this?
I came up with the name :(

Well that's why I made the thread, to hopefully resolve that issue too.

I came up with the name :(
Fie, fie upon you, and hexes upon your House.

Well that's why I made the thread, to hopefully resolve that issue too.
Alright. Well. Get on that, then. The broad concept of the thread is agreeable, but it needs proper ideas of application before... applying.

I think we should use the bot to get rid of Underwater Breathing from our profiles and replace those instances with Non-Standard Breathing. We then go through all the pages and manually add the appropriate types to the profiles.

I'll ping Ant and see what he thinks @Antvasima

Can't we just turn underwater breathing into a redirect page for non-standard breathing instead?

Given that Dread was banned, that AKM is partially inactive, that I am already very busy and do not have the necessary competence in this area, and that Elizhaa never seemed to express an interest and also seems partially inactive, Catzlaflame is our only competent and active remaining bot account user, and he is currently busy with schoolwork, and will try to handle Dread's statistics text-bolding project afterwards.

Can't we just turn underwater breathing into a redirect page for non-standard breathing instead?

Given that Dread was banned, that AKM is partially inactive, that I am already very busy and do not have the necessary competence in this area, and that Elizhaa never seemed to express an interest and also seems partially inactive, Catzlaflame is our only competent and active remaining bot account user, and he is currently busy with schoolwork, and will try to handle Dread's statistics text-bolding project afterwards.

well hey

Eh, sort of this. I'd argue putting Underwater Breathing as a 'sub category' to non-standard breathing, similar to how we quantify types of causality / elemental manip etc.

Besides, chances are that profiles can just call a power 'underwater breathing', and then link to non-standard breathing. I've seen it done before with certain instances of aura/blessed/superhuman physical characteristics etc.

Using underwater breathing as a specific sub-type, due to how common it is, seems good to me.

Using underwater breathing as a specific sub-type, due to how common it is, seems good to me.
What do the others think?
@Abstractions @Mr._Bambu @GarrixianXD @Propellus @Psychomaster35 @Tllmbrg @IdiosyncraticLawyer @PrinceofPein

@Abstractions @Mr._Bambu @Qawsedf234 @Sir_Ovens @Celestial_Pegasus @DarkDragonMedeus @SamanPatou @Damage3245 @Elizhaa @Starter_Pack

What do you think about this?

Should this be a staff thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back