• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revision of Vehicular Mastery and Water Walking and adding new powers

Writing this down so I won't forget it later.

I'd like to revise the skill of Vehicular Mastery into something else that fits the description of following skill. The placeholder name for it will be Transportation Mastery, but anyone can suggest a better title if they want. The description can be changed too if you agree with its implementation but not its definition.

"Transportation Mastery is the skill to operate external, physical and controllable apparatus to transport the user to a different location. This can range from using a bike to cross the street to piloting a spaceship that can travel vast amounts of space and even travel between different dimensions. This skill also includes the ability to effectively use a living creature (ranging from horses to magical beasts) and even supernatural objects (flying sentient brooms and cosmic surfboards) to transport the user to a different position. Note that using one's powers to transport themselves, such as levitating through the air or lifting one's self above the ground with a summoned rock, does not count since it does not use anything that would be considered external to the user. Powers like the ones previously mentioned are usually innate, unless the character can use their powers to summon a means of transportation and use their own skill to operate it."

From the top of my head, here are my examples of the users of this power, including:
  • Anyone from the Vehicular Mastery page
  • Characters that are magicians with flying brooms (ex. Harry Potter)
  • Anyone who rode a Pegasus or similar magical beasts in their respective verses (ex. Kratos, Rider (F/sn), etc.)
  • Silver Surfer
  • Those two weirdos from JoJo who shoot balls while riding horses idk
Also, I would like to integrate powers like Water Walking into the power Supernatural Movement, which is also a placeholder name. Here's my definition:

"Supernatural Movement is defined as the ability to move along certain surfaces usually through supernatural means, often transcending mundane methods of movement. Characters with this power can walk on surfaces that would normally be impossible to walk on such as quicksand, water, air or energy. The application of this power can be extremely broad in its usage, but in general this ability allows the user to move along (or even through) impossible surfaces without falling or passing through it."

Example users of this power would include:
  • Servants from the Fate series
  • Anyone from the Water Walking page
  • Fujin (Mortal Kombat)
Lastly, I'd like to suggest a new skill called Crafting (again placeholder name) with this definition:

"Crafting is the ability to manually create new items of varying uses and sizes in a combat applicable timeframe either through existing materials brought/summoned by the user or from materials found in the battlefield. The user can easily construct a new weapon, tool, or anything beneficial to aid them in battle or other purposes. Unlike Creation, Weapon Creation, and other similar ability, Crafting is a skill that is innate to the user's talents and intelligence."

Examples:
  • LEGO characters
  • Minecraft characters
  • Fortnite characters
  • Servants from the Fate series that possess the Item Construction skill or anything similar to it (as long as its not them summoning stuff out of thin air rather than crafting or manufacturing stuff)
Hopefully this isn't done and rejected already.

It seems fine. I'm guessing that characters who have surface scaling will go into the Supernatural Movements thing as well? And even though I'd like to see crafting as an ability, it's more or less just time-based Creation, honestly.

Perhaps? Characters who use surface scaling as a power usually do it via sticky appendages or magnetic fields, which can count towards supernatural movement as well.

I was inspired to make the Crafting skill after I was reminded of the LEGO movies and series, including Ninjago. Compared to Creation which is a supernatural power, Crafting is a skill done by the combination of physical prowess, skill, and creativity of the user while doing such things in a short timeframe in the middle of a fight.

We unfortunately already have several ability page revisions that have as of yet been left unfinished due lack of volunteers. We need to finish them before we can focus on comparatively less important revisions such as this one. My apologies.

Yes, and we cannot just wave a magic wand and have several hundred pages suddenly be edited for each of them.

I feel a better name for Supernatural Movement could be Enhanced Mobility
Though that might be a bit broader sending then you're implying (since that could easily encompass wallrunning and adhesivity as well)

I feel like wall running might be a variation of acrobatics since the user has to accelerate their speed to stick to the surface their running on, unless you're explicitly using not so mundane methods to run on walls. Adhesivity sounds like a natural feature akin to body control.

I disagree with Transportation Mastery, as it's literally just Vehicular Mastery, but under a different name.

I'm indifferent towards Supernatural Movement. On one hand, it does seem like it has a niche. But on the other, walking on water/quicksand/etc is just Water Walking. If you walk on weird intangible substances, you can just classify it as Flight or Non-Physical Interaction.

Thank you for the reply. I think that your evaluation makes sense.

I disagree with Transportation Mastery, as it's literally just Vehicular Mastery, but under a different name.

I'm indifferent towards Supernatural Movement. On one hand, it does seem like it has a niche. But on the other, walking on water/quicksand/etc is just Water Walking. If you walk on weird intangible substances, you can just classify it as Flight or Non-Physical Interaction.
When I came up with TM, I thought that VH is lacking because it's only limited to vehicles and not other methods of transportation. Why is a skill that's about riding only limited to vehicles, when there are many other means of transport powered by living things or external apparatus? TM is meant to answer that.

Water Walking doesn't cover quicksand or any similar material. The definition covers only water walking, but it can also apply to similar surfaces like quicksand. TM should also cover being able to move unhindered while submerged under liquid, since liquids can slow down moving objects.

"This could be accomplished by defying surface tension, through sheer speed, by releasing energy that keeps the water under their feet stable or by manipulating the water itself to make a solid surface."

All these powers have placeholder names btw and they are not meant to be added as a new and separate power, but to replace the existing ones before we assimilate them into these abilities.

When I came up with TM, I thought that VH is lacking because it's only limited to vehicles and not other methods of transportation. Why is a skill that's about riding only limited to vehicles, when there are many other means of transport powered by living things or external apparatus? TM is meant to answer that.
Not sure what you mean, everything you described is a vehicle. A vehicle is anything that's used for transport.
Water Walking doesn't cover quicksand or any similar material. The definition covers only water walking, but it can also apply to similar surfaces like quicksand.
Yes, it would. Quicksand is made out of water and other material like sand or clay.

I've been told that riding a horse doesn't qualify for VM and the ability's page does not even cover that. All I can see in its page are just mechanical vehicles.
TM should also cover being able to move unhindered while submerged under liquid, since liquids can slow down moving objects.
There's also this as well, plus I recall specifc kinds of characters being able to focus their respective energies under their feet to walk and float on air.

I've been told that riding a horse doesn't qualify for VM and the ability's page does not even cover that. All I can see in its page are just mechanical vehicles.
Don't know who told you that, but it does qualify for it. Even the page itself says
extreme skill Piloting/Driving various types of transport
There's also this as well
That seems really unimportant to index, plus it would fit Supernatural Movement more than your Transportation Mastery anyway.
plus I recall specifc kinds of characters being able to focus their respective energies under their feet to walk and float on air.
As I said originally, that could qualify for Flight/NPI.

Would you be willing to handle it in that case?

I do think the definition OP wrote is fine on its own. Currently, the Vehicular Mastery page only has a single sentence, I'm content with just replacing it with what's in the OP if everyone is fine with it.

About the Vehicular Mastery, shouldn't there be more examples of its usage as well? Besides the current ones, stuff like using animal powered transport or some weird form of transportation like flying brooms and Silver Surfer's cosmic board,

I do think the definition OP wrote is fine on its own. Currently, the Vehicular Mastery page only has a single sentence, I'm content with just replacing it with what's in the OP if everyone is fine with it.
The block of text in the first post seems mostly fine to me as well, but I will check the current page first.

After checking, it seems better to expand a bit on the list of examples in the page:

I'm neutral on transportation Mastery, but I will point out that it isn't exclusive to vehicular mastery, but some people are also skilled at riding animals such as horses, wyverns, or pegasi. I wouldn't call that vehicular mastery by rather steed mastery; though, it can be argued it's more so social influencing in the form of ridable animals as opposed to mastering riding skills. I also recall perhaps recommended call it piloting mastery, though definition later mentioned that made it sound specific to aircraft. So I'm leaning towards calling it vehicular mastery. Or at least Cavalry Mastery would sound better than Transportation Mastery; the latter sounds like it would include being skilled with a teleporting machine. Cavalry includes things like horseback and vehicles looking at modern definition.

Water Walking being merged with Surface Scaling and calling it supernatural movement seems stretchy. Those are two different powers and also they both can be done via different methods; it's not always done via supernatural means, as some character can simply run on water or up walls through sheer momentum rather than supernatural powers that enable them to stand/walk on water as if it's solid ground or hang on to a solid wall with no handles like a spider. So I'm going to give that proposal a no.

I personally do not mind crafting tbh. The difference between that and creation is that the latter can often make things from nothing while the former requires building supplies. Though it should be noted that there are times were even craftsman who allegedly have no supernatural powers and are just those pulling nerd gear from toon storage, still manage to craft things despite not having anything in their pockets and it ends up just looking like creation to begin with. So I think some would just consider it a weaker version of creation so neutral in the long run.

Transportation Mastery just sounds bad, maybe if you got a better name.

I already don't like Water Walking so no, let's not fuse it into something vague and weird like that.

I don't really like Crafting either but whatever, if people are fine with it.

I agree with both of these points.

Transportation mastery is just Vehicular mastery under a different label. It's an unnecessary change. Besides, Vehicular mastery clearly indicates that the character in question is a master of driving/piloting a certain vehicle.

Anyway, I also agree with Ogbunabali in any case.

Also, we should likely expand a bit on the examples listed in the Vehicular Mastery page as a solution here.

Last edited:
I forgot construction already existed, which is the polar opposite of deconstruction.

What do you think about these suggestions?
I'm not for the vehicle mastery change. At most just word the definition to be slightly more inclusive, but the suggestion is just redundant in my view.

Adding some sort of water walking or air walking power, if its not part of a larger powerset like superspeed or water manipulation is fine, but I don't know how used it will be.

I am simply suggesting to make the definition of vehicular mastery somewhat more inclusive, yes.

Back