• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY - Immaterial Non-Physical Interaction Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
A normal intangibility statement backs up general intangibility. To say it's a more limited intangibility requires one more assumption. Simple.
Except its going by whats shown of the Geists intangibility?

The Geist has ONLY ever been intangible in things it possesses. THAT is the extent of the power it has shown that we can 100% confirm. We don't know how its intangibility is beyond that, and you need to prove as such that it works outside of the possession.

Also this argument in general is so backwards its crazy. You ALWAYS go off by what the extent of the power shown is. you dont make it up to what you want it to be,

Except its going by whats shown of the Geists intangibility?

The Geist has ONLY ever intangible in things it possesses. THAT is the extent of the power it has shown that we can 100% confirm. We don't know how its intangibility is beyond that, and you need to prove as such that it works outside of the possession
I do not need to prove a negative Jinx, you are claiming that Geist intangibility is limited and they are generally tangible, so show some proof beyond what's essentially gonna be NPI Justifications.

Wasn't there talk of a hook earlier? That could make or break it

Genuinely

I mean i know yall want to make up nonsense powers for RWBY characters/Aura, but we always judge the limits of a character's power by the extent of it thats been shown. So far, the Geist has shown its intangibility only exclusively to its possession. That it the immutable extent. Maybe its intangible beyond that, but anything like that is a complete unknown that you are pulling out of your ass.

I do not need to prove a negative Jinx, you are claiming that Geist intangibility is limited and they are generally tangible, so show some proof beyond what's essentially gonna be NPI Justifications.

Wasn't there talk of a hook earlier? That could make or break it
You dont know what a negative is, stop soundbiting Weekly.

The proof is that the extent of the Geist's intangibility is only shown to be limited to what it possesses. Outside of that, theres been no other showings of it being intangible, in fact the exact opposite. It would be up for YOU to prove this wrong, by showing an example of the Geist's intangibility outside of its possession.

This is actually simple to comprehend. The fact you're all panicking and dodging this now tells me everything i need to know.

Genuinely

I mean i know yall want to make up nonsense powers for RWBY characters/Aura, but we always judge the limits of a character's power by the extent of it thats been shown. So far, the Geist has shown its intangibility only exclusively to its possession. That it the immutable extent. Maybe its intangible beyond that, but anything like that is a complete unknown that you are pulling out of your ass.
So in other words you cannot back up your argument with added proof, even when I pointed out something that could make or break both sides?

You dont know what a negative is, stop soundbiting Weekly.

The proof is that the extent of the Geist's intangibility is only limited to what it possesses. Outside of that, theres been no other showings of it being intangible, in fact the exact opposite. It would be up for YOU to prove this wrong, by showing an example of the Geist's intangibility outside of its possession.

This is actually simple to comprehend. The fact you're all panicking and dodging this now tells me everything i need to know.
"Theres feats against intangibility!"

shows clear NPI Justifications

Just hunt for that hook thing

So in other words you cannot back up your argument with added proof, even when I pointed out something that could make or break both sides?
Thats called you trying to deflect the point lol.

My proof would be er...every single time the Geist has shown being intangible on-screen? Which is when its possessing stuff.
Is there another scene where it shows its intangibility outside of this to prove me wrong?

Thats called you trying to deflect the point lol.

My proof would be er...every single time the Geist has shown being intangible on-screen? Which is when its possessing stuff.
Is there another scene where it shows its intangibility outside of this to prove me wrong?
You trying to shift burden of proof, which is a fallacy

"Theres feats against intangibility!"

shows clear NPI Justifications

Just hunt for that hook thing
Actually tweaking. Can you just genuinely go away please? Im not interested in your point deflect, you genuinely just wanna make up powers.

Actually tweaking. Can you just genuinely go away please? Im not interested in your point deflect, you genuinely just wanna make up powers.
I'm asking for you to prove your own point bro, it's not deflecting if I'm asking you to back up your argument and even pointing to something you might be able to use without being ran over

Can i get your opinions of
  • Immaterial Intangibility being the default type of Intangibility to assume when it is unclear how it works.
I'll let the others prove this to you.
  • Whether it is fair to deny the notion that the Geist going against its stated 'Intangibility' (A.k.a it getting physically punched or hit in any capacity) could just be a genuine contradiction via RWBY's writing standards, and ergo bring its intangibility into question whatsoever.
Ah yes, 'all evidence that proves the geist is intangible must just be chocked up to writing inconsistencies', best argument.
  • The Geist's intangibility being hard-locked to its Possession ability (As in it can only phase into things that it specifically possesses) and working like the Shihai's Quirk from MHA. Ergo this could be what the book was referring to when saying Intangible instead of assuming the immaterial type.
Shihai's quirk isnt intangibility, its fusionism and darkness manip
  • Current opinions on just the Geists Mask (and possibly its claws?) being the tangible elements
Both have shown to go through solid matter just like the rest of its body

I'm asking for you to prove your own point bro, it's not deflecting if I'm asking you to back up your argument and even pointing to something you might be able to use without being ran over
Maybe actually watch RWBY first of all?

What do you want? Me to show examples of everytime a Geist 'phases into an object' to possess it? A.k.a everytime the Geist's intangibility has been shown?

It'd be much easier for Weekly to disprove it by posting an example where this WASNT the case (Which i'd imagine he's desperately trying to hunt for now), wouldnt you agree? Or are you not finished licking his boots?

I'll let the others prove this to you.

Ah yes, 'all evidence that proves the geist is intangible must just be chocked up to writing inconsistencies', best argument.

Shihai's quirk isnt intangibility, its fusionism and darkness manip

Both have shown to go through solid matter just like the rest of its body
I didnt ask you Weekly.

Shihai's quirk is about as comparable to what the Geist does in any sense. 'Go into an object'. Its not intangibility yeah but its the same premise.

The fact that i can viably fill up a 'mental gymnastics' meme from the arguments in this thread is very telling about the number of assumptions being made here lmao

The fact that i can viably fill up a 'mental gymnastics' meme from the arguments in this thread is very telling about the number of assumptions being made here lmao
They're all coming from you bro

Unless you're actively denying we dont find and use the safe extent of a power by whats been actually shown in the series

Maybe actually watch RWBY first of all?

What do you want? Me to show examples of everytime a Geist 'phases into an object' to possess it? A.k.a everytime the Geist's intangibility has been shown?

It'd be much easier for Weekly to disprove it by posting an example where this WASNT the case (Which i'd imagine he's desperately trying to hunt for now), wouldnt you agree? Or are you not finished licking his boots?
"No, you need to prove my point for me!"
According to the full clip, the mask seems to have different properties than the black body.

The hook couldn't touch the black body, but it could touch the mask.

The mask can phase through objects in the possession process, but once completed, it sets itself on the object and becomes tangible again.
So, this is the Clip I was on, it seeks the hook hit the mask post-possession, which... is when the Geist is tangible anyway cause it's possessing a solid object.

It would appear there is very little, if any, evidence that the mask is tangible in the Geist's base form beyond it being hit by individuals, which falls into the NPI trap the wiki uses as a catch-all for hitting things you shouldn't be able to.

"No, you need to prove my point for me!"
My point is that the Geist's intangibility has only ever shown limited to its Possession.
Go on, how do i prove this? By NOT showing something against this claim???
So, this is the Clip I was on, it seeks the hook hit the mask post-possession, which... is when the Geist is tangible anyway cause it's possessing a solid object.

It would appear there is very little, if any, evidence that the mask is tangible in the Geist's base form beyond it being hit by individuals, which falls into the NPI trap the wiki uses as a catch-all for hitting things you shouldn't be able to.
Please stop deflecting. Its so painfully obvious. Just leave the discussion if you cant answer me properly.

My point is that the Geist's intangibility has only ever shown limited to its Possession.
By proving that it is limited to possession when the guidebook and writers both confirm this is not true. Hell its even specified that it needs to enter matter to possess it, how would it do that if it werent intangible in the first place?

Please stop deflecting. Its so painfully obvious. Just leave the discussion if you cant answer me properly.
The hook passed through it, strike one for it being tangible. Two more and we can call this a home run

Maybe i did some looking and found something that goes agaisnt your claim? That's not deflecting that's using the intelligence I have as a human and doing some looking.

If you believe that then why are you here talking about it?
I thought after the Transmutation stuff, people wouldnt genuienly be THIS devoted to giving RWBY a made-up power that they keep saying the stupidest stuff.

You all genuinely think being 'based' off a ghost for its design is a legit argument to give it the power of general ghost immateriality (Its literally a Grimm), and being called 'intangible' in a guidebook suddenly lets you give the Geist EVERY aspect of an Intangibility YOU want for it.
The guidebook is referring to the Intangibility SEEN in the show. and thats ONLY so far been shown to be limited to Possession.

And you cant prove that wrong. Cause you know you're checkmated with it normally.

At this point you jsut need to beg the writers to bring back the Geist doing all this crazy stuff you think it does. You cant even prove it can phase a physical attack through any capacity, why is this still going on???

I thought after the Transmutation stuff, people wouldnt genuienly be THIS devoted to giving RWBY a made-up power that they keep saying the stupidest stuff.

You all genuinely think being 'based' off a ghost for its design is a legit argument, and being called 'intangible' in a guidebook suddenly lets you give the Geist EVERY aspect of an Intangibility YOU want for it.
The guidebook is referring to the Intangibility SEEN in the show. and thats ONLY so far been shown to be limited to Possession.

At this point you jsut need to beg the writers to bring back the Geist doing all this crazy stuff you think it does. You cant even prove it can phase a physical attack through any capacity, why is this still going on???
I... just did though? That hook hit the Geist and passed through it, you're deflecting the argument now.

At this point I'm fine with giving the RWBY characters who have been shown to to hit the Geists "Possibly/Likely Non-Physical Interaction" and just leave it off the rest of the cast. What do you think @Firestorm808?

At this point I'm fine with giving the RWBY characters who have been shown to to hit the Geists "Possibly/Likely Non-Physical Interaction" and just leave it off the rest of the cast. What do you think @Firestorm808?
Alright but why doesn't the Geist's Intangibility being limited to its Possession power only, not get considered?

This would be what the guidebook would be refering to in the one-word adjective, before it spiralled off to talk all about the Geist's possession

Alright but why doesn't the Geist's Intangibility being limited to its Possession power only, not get considered?

This would be what the guidebook would be refering to in the one-word adjective, before it spiralled off to talk all about the Geist's possession
Because it's an extra assumption you're making?
I know but this is just...genuinely tweaking.

They're literally trying to make up the extents of this power thats never actually been shown.
I dunno man, one argument takes more assumptions then the other

I just did, and I still see it passing through matey!
If this is referring to Clover missing his hook on the Geist - No, he just missed, possibly due to Qrows bad luck

If its referring to him hooking the mask - The hook would have passed through its intangible black body, and kept a hold on the solid tangible mask, even when the Geist was dragged out into its main form - Ergo its not NPI since they're attacking a tangible mask. the main black body of the Geist is the ONLY possibility that is truly intangible imo, but even that thats too unclear and would have been stated.

If this is referring to Crow missing his hook on the Geist - No, he just missed

If its referring to him hooking the mask, then the hook would have passed through its intangible black body, and kept a hold on the solid tangible mask, even when the Geist was dragged out into its main form - Ergo its not NPI since they're attacking a tangible mask.
Prove the mask is tangible in its base form OUTSIDE of assuming it is

Prove the mask is tangible in its base form OUTSIDE of assuming it is
Well if you missed the point again >

If its referring to him hooking the mask - The hook would have passed through its intangible black body, and kept a hold on the solid tangible mask, even when the Geist was dragged out into its main form - Ergo its not NPI since they're attacking a tangible mask. the main black body of the Geist is the ONLY possibility that is truly intangible imo, but even that thats too unclear and would have been stated.

Clover uses his hook to wrap around the mask with his fishing line.

He successfully does so, and then drags the Geist out by the mask

As the Geist is dragged out, and its main black body is shown when pulled out, the Fishing Line would pass through it, but still keep a hold of the mask

Ergo if this is true anyway, it would mean the line is touching the mask, but phasing through the main black body.

Ergo The mask is a tangible aspect of the Geist. As are its claws where it can physically attack Blake.

Seriously how was this Argument not even over after the literal proof the Geist is trying to physically attack Blake?

How do we get so densely into this that we need to claim the Geist cant get hit but can physically attack back, like its on some other plane, but the show literally never explaining such an immense detail if that were the case. And it literally meaning nothing whatsoever.

Last edited:
Well if you missed the point again >

The hook hit the black body as well from what I saw like 10 seconds ago by the time of writing this, in other words, unless you want to say that non-physical Interaction doesn't exist and anything that's hit cant possibly be intangible, you're wrong.

But go ahead, go and yell that your arguments are the true gospel and should be worshipped and anyone who goes against them are heretics and every other word in the book. Because trust me, I'm growing real tired of your accusations, not saying that you think your holier then thou, but holy hell does it feel like it, at least my salt and heat is accompanied by a willing to back down(Recent Example)

The hook hit the black body as well from what I saw like 10 seconds ago by the time of writing this, in other words, unless you want to say that non-physical Interaction doesn't exist and anything that's hit cant possibly be intangible, you're wrong.
Show a Scan. The Hook quite literally wraps all around the mask while the geist is a Petra Gigas (no black body) and attaches to itself, implying cause of Clover's semblance.

Its been well established you arent good at 'Rewatching' stuff. And that you're high-ending on purpose. And that you would be eating all of this up if a staff member said the exact same thing lol

Show a Scan. The Hook quite literally wraps all around the mask while the geist is a Petra Gigas (no black body) and attaches to itself, implying cause of Clover's semblance.

Its been well established you arent good at 'Rewatching' stuff. And that you're high-ending on purpose. And that you would be eating all of this up if a staff member said the exact same thing lol
The scan is there, and if the Semblance is the reason easy NPI

Correction: I am shit at Pausing things. Not Rewatching them.

WAIT HOLD ON COUNTER CORRECTION! I AM SHIT AT REWATCHING THINGS! 13:53 IN THAT SCAN THE BOOMARANG HITS THE BLACK BODY BRO! DAMN! THATS EMBARRASSING FOR ALL OF US! HOW DID WE MISS THAT BRO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back