• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Saving and Loading in Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that saving and loading and whatnot and things like that are usually game mechanics, but with the way things work in Mario, there's more than enough evidence to show extra lives and saving and loading and game overs are a things in the lore.

Obviously there are RPG games and other games where people just sell 1-Up Mushrooms and other times are shown in the series where 1-Ups show up in the series outside of just platformers, and their descriptions usually talk about how they give extra lives. The Underwhere is a place you go to when you lose all of your extra lives and your game ends. He even mentions that a Poison 1-Up could be the reason that Mario lost his last life, further supporting the 1-Ups actually giving extra lives in lore since the Poison 1-Up is the antithesis to it. There is even a Shaydes that insinuates the terminology "aftergame" instead of afterlife and that if a Shaydes were to die in the Underwhere, they would end up in a post-aftergame. Mario ca turn into a bomb and destroy save files in Super Mario Land 2. The concept of saving is mentioned several times in TTYD. The concept of saving is also mentioned in Bowser's Inside Story. There's pretty explicit implications of save files in the original Mario Party, and Mario Party 2. A Toad in Colour Splash says that he "REALLY wants to save" his progress. "I must stay strong. I must not power off...". I mean, it doesn't get much more blatant than this.

My proposal is basically that Mario and every relevant Mario character should have both the capability to use extra lives and also the capability to load by from saved progress either upon receiving a game over or "powering off the game" like the Toad implied was possible. It basically would function just as it actually seems like it does, but I'll show some scans explaining it anyway. "Hit this block to save all the events you've experienced so far." "Even if your game ends, you can continue it from the last point that you saved at." Despite it mentioning that you require a Save Block, Mario saves passively.

Discuss.

1. Considering that actual death seems to happen in Mario, I wouldn't consider the usage of game terms for the afterlife to confirm the existence of extra lives.

2. That's just a visual gag for the save menu. It's not canon.

3. A character saying the tutorial in-universe =/= said tutorial is canon.

I'm just gonna stop there because 99% of your "proofs" are gags or characters helping the player know how the game works in-universe. Neither of which should be taken as canon over actual in-game lore.

Actual death happening is literally said to happen when a person loses all of their extra lives, and even if you ignore the tutorial stuff, what about the Toad in Colour Splash? And how would Goombella's statements just be tutorial text when the Save Block tutorial is literally done earlier in the game as I already showed? And if it's just a visual gag for the save menu, why do they also mention it in the Mario Encyclopaedia as something that Mario actually does? I'm not sure if you've read into much on Mario lore, but there is a lot of stuff supporting that the verse's theology and whatnot actually works like a video game. There's consistent mentions of death being referred to as a "game ending" or when "your game is over", many characters actually talk about saving and save files, even outside of tutorials, and there's a consistent acknowledgement of extra lives. As further support, the "Big-Rock-Who-Watches" is also implied to be the Player, so there's that.

Bump. (Just 'cause I'm remembering the existence of this thread and don't think a new one needs to be made since this one wasn't properly responded to.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back