• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we shut down the leadership board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I and Lord Kavpeny have talked about possibly shutting down the leadership board.

It creates a bad atmosphere with people competing for points, potentially by lots of unnecessary edits, while not gaining any points for contributing to content revision discussions, which is one of the most important parts of the wiki.

If we shut it down, the edit counts would obviously still be visible when visiting peoples user pages, but we would avoid a potentially poisonous atmosphere.

There would likely also be less unnecessary edits clogging up the recent changes pages, which would make the wiki easier to monitor for the staff.

If there has been alot of unnecessary edits to get more points, then I agree about it being shut down.

I agree, it would probably be a good idea to remove the leadership board.

I support this as well. If we continue the Leadership Board existence, he have to risk of having higher potential dangers and threats. So, in order to secure this Wikia's future, we have to shut it down so that we can maintain the site and its contents in a better environment.

It's not like that many people would miss it (Heck, I didn't even know it existed until a couple of weeks ago).

The points system creates a difference of importance between forum contributions and edit contributions, despite both of them being equally important.

As such, it indirectly creates a distinction between the contributions of members, something which I feel might cause members to feel under-appreciated. For example, the members who regularly contribute to the Content Revision board make valuable contributions to the site. However, their contributions do not result in points, compared to those invested in adding categories, which is not of greater importance.

If the point system is removed, the value of contributions in both the main namespace and the forum namespace will be made equal, which I believe will be fair to members inclined towards forum activity instead.

I'm in favour of removing it, however the only thing i'll note is that the leadership board may motivate members to contribute to the wiki, so keep that in mind if you're agreeing to this.

LordAizenSama said:
I'm in favour of removing it, however the only thing i'll note is that the leadership board may motivate members to contribute to the wiki, so keep that in mind if you're agreeing to this.
Well, as one of the new member of this wiki I may not yet to contribute to this wiki other create couple of matches and commenting, but this badge and points thing is one of the reason why I keep active every day.

Get rid of the points system, rank people on how well they contribute to the wiki instead of how much they contribute to the wiki, or just not at all.

@NJS People would still see how much you have contributed in your user page edit count.

Though realistically speaking y'all are right. Edit wh****g is a thing.....

I just hope if y'all do go through with it, at least let me try to break 365 first.

Well, we cannot wait for 200+ days to inactivate it...

My total is 224 atm...though i'm not gonna defy any protocol here. If it needs to be done in the interests of business so be it.

@STA Okay. Thank you very much for being so reasonable.

For what it is worth, I think that my own "days on the wiki" count was reset from almost 300 when I had a vacation last year, and then it was reset from around 130 during the recent glitches in the wiki.

Well, it isn't all that important. I think that it is better that we encourage a good atmosphere.

Hmm. Okay. I may be a staff member but I am still very new to all of this. What I am about to say may not reflect good on me but I am still gonna say it as I think it will help you guys to make your final decision.

The points table had great influence on me. When I first started to become active here (around the AP revision 3 months ago) I visited the wiki everyday mostly to keep up my streak and get the 30 days badge and initially I thought I would give up on the wiki after that. But to my surprise while trying to get the 30 day badge I got addicted to the wiki and kept coming here everyday. I am not sure if that badge were not to be there I would have been where I am now.

Even after that I had no real intention to seriously contribute here. Then came the job offer and I was assured if my work is impressive enough I could become a part of the staff. Which got me seriously going and motivate me to do so much work.

But even during that time and after I actually became a staff the points table had its influence on me. I did a lot of cheap edits (not unnecessary, just cheap) to get my points high. Whenever I woke up and saw I need only 50 more edits to get 100 more points I tried to get it done in that day. Now, here the points table actually motivated me to do more edits than I would have normally done. So, it has its upside.

But at the same time I was competitive and trying to get more points than others. It got me to do the cheap edits (not so serious and important but still not wrong and can be done a lot quickly). If the points table is gone I will likely not waste any more time doing the cheap edits and spend my time doing more serious work. I also noticed the points table motivated other users to do unnecessary and even malicious edits.

So, the points table can motivate a new user to become active here and then after becoming active it may motivate one to do cheap, unnecessary or even malicious edits.

I would like to ask is there a way we take out all the staff members out of leadership board but keep the other users?

If there is I would like to suggest that.

Competition is actually good. It encourages you to do your very best in the quest of becoming a valuable member however, I have seen individuals edit their profiles, "to keep their streak intact" which doesn't serve to better this wikia. Instead of encouraging them to do work at optimum efficiency they become complacent not to mention if what Basilisk says is true, and it encourages cheap, unnecessary or even malicious edits, then this will only give more unnecessary work to staff members that could have been used to improve this wikia.

Basically, yes, please remove it.

In my experience i have only seen one user doing trully cheap edits ,like putting irrelevant pictures to profiles just to get points (and he is probably banned for the next centuries).

Like Basilisk1995 the board has made me do thousands of good edits on pages just to get badges.

I'd just like to ask, would we still get these snazzy little badges every now and then (from editing a profile a certain amount of times, or adding a certain amount of pictures, etc.) if the leaderboard gets removed? I kinda like those little things. It makes me feel like I actually did something.

Else, I'm fine with it being removed. I wasn't even aware of it until just now that I read it.

I do not think so, but do not know for certain.

The two main problems are that the current system discourages people to contribute in content revision threads, which is one of the most important parts of the wiki, and that there have been a lot of unnecessary category edits that clog up the recent changes, and do not serve much of a valid purpose.

In addition, some people have taken it badly when I or Lord Kavpeny have cleaned up categories with inappropriate names, that are duplicates of each other, or that need to be removed due to being pointless, and want to start using mass-editing scripts themselves, which would turn the wiki into a constant hunt for easy points that would be near impossible to monitor. So we are also trying to take ourselves, and our high edit counts, out of the equation, in order to be fair to everybody else.

I see. I'm fine with the changes this will bring, though I still hope we keep the snazzy badges somehow, even if we have to start again (though hopefully not).

Well, as far as I am aware, the old badges are not taken away, just hidden, but I think that the counting will be stopped until the board is activated again.

Ohh, the lack of way to obtain new badges blows, atleast we can keep our old ones I guess.

Still in support of this though.

Not Jim Sterling said:
LordAizenSama said:
Well, as one of the new member of this wiki I may not yet to contribute to this wiki other create couple of matches and commenting, but this badge and points thing is one of the reason why I keep active every day.
A fair point. I do that as well.

Aw... but I've been working so hard to get the Dedicated badge...

But if keeps everyone on the straight path then I suppose there's nothing to do but remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back