• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shovel Knight 2-C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay but this isn’t just god of war guy saying it’s canon, it’s god of war guys and literally yacht club saying it’s canon, that makes it come from both sides.
I didn’t even think that it being canon was still up for debate in the slightest.

And no it’s not an outlier, get me some anti feats or get outta here
Your opinion is noted but I do assure you it very much is. That example I posted above is from Capcom- as in, both entities are by Capcom and feature a significant crossover. There are still a great deal of issues with actually merging those verses.

I suppose if crossover rules themselves go against this then there's not much to do for it.

From 8-C to 2-C? Damn

Was kratos going all out against the shovel knight?
He was at least trying at the end, as I said in... page 3? Page 2? I don't know. Point is he says SK is skilled, gives him an amusing title, and ***** off

Honestly i thought it'd be an essay

Added vote to OP

So that's 2 for Not Canon, 1 for canon but doesn't scale but is canon, one for 8-C, possibly 2-C, two for solid 2-C, and 3 for a separate key.

Only counting evaluation staff(or other staff) because nobody else matters and knowledgeables are up there for prosperity.
To be clear, since you're ostensibly double-dipping votes (DDM fits simultaneously in "Neutral" and a vote that goes against said neutrality, Planck is listed multiple times), I ought to be in that second number, too. Even if we were very silly and took this at face value, honest-to-Betsy verse-merging shit, it would still be an astronomical outlier for the Shovel Knight verse.

I would personally accept canonicity just not the scaling. Like just the fact that they have met and interacted and they are in the same universe.
To be clear, since you're ostensibly double-dipping votes (DDM fits simultaneously in "Neutral" and a vote that goes against said neutrality, Planck is listed multiple times), I ought to be in that second number, too. Even if we were very silly and took this at face value, honest-to-Betsy verse-merging shit, it would still be an astronomical outlier for the Shovel Knight verse.
So just appying canonicity but no scaling at all?

I would personally accept canonicity just not the scaling. Like just the fact that they have met and interacted and they are in the same universe.

So just appying canonicity but no scaling at all?
I do not agree that they are canon, as agreeing to such violates the fundamentals of our crossover rules. However, even if we were to take them as such, because rules are for sissies, it still would not make any sense.

I doubt that the crossover scaling rules contradict this in any way, but I am more than willing to have this turn into a revision of crossover rules, especially when something so astronomically blatantly a common sense thing like this is potentially only being held back by dated crossover rules that didn’t account for something like this
in any case the show must go on, those who agreed before should continue agreeing, and we will just have to fix any rule that gets in the way. We can definitely just do that in this crt considering there are staff here.

I mean, DDM is neutral with everything but option D cause he said that's where he wanted to be, I'm just counting votes Bambu, this ain't a topic i particularly care about other then bringing it up for people to debate and decide on. I also think 2-C SK would be based but yeah I don't lean particularly to either side on this crap lol

If the opposition to fully scaling is truly so insistent, then I have a slightly modified proposal to the keys suggestion
we simply make keys for the Xbox version of shovel knight and the ps4 version in which he fights kratos, although we would also give it to every SK character as well. Since the battletoads and kratos never appear in the same version that is probably the best compromise that can be made.

I do not agree that they are canon, as agreeing to such violates the fundamentals of our crossover rules. However, even if we were to take them as such, because rules are for sissies, it still would not make any sense.
I honestly can't see which part of the crosover rules this is against, could you point to the said part of the rules this is against?

I doubt that the crossover scaling rules contradict this in any way, but I am more than willing to have this turn into a revision of crossover rules, especially when something so astronomically blatantly a common sense thing like this is potentially only being held back by dated crossover rules that didn’t account for something like this
in any case the show must go on, those who agreed before should continue agreeing, and we will just have to fix any rule that gets in the way. We can definitely just do that in this crt considering there are staff here.
We define a canon crossover as such:

Canon crossovers officially take place within both continuities, and as such recurrently happen within a shared universe or feature characters made by the same creators. Examples include Mario Vs Donkey Kong or Dead or Alive/Ninja Gaiden. It is canon to both franchises and feats/scaling may be used if they are consistent.
This is not this as it does not happen recurrently, nor does it occur within the actual God of War verse aside from WoG- Shovel Knight has never made an appearance in a God of War game.

Furthermore:

We still have to differentiate between characters of different comparative power levels within the verses, and there may be outliers and Plot-Induced Stupidity, which are rules that still apply to linear canon verses.
Take note that crossovers will almost always rescale the power levels of the different characters for the sake of writing a more entertaining story. This can happen in both in-canon crossovers such as Dissidia Final Fantasy, in which tier 6 and tier 2 characters fought on equal grounds, and in non-canon versions, such as between Luffy, Goku and Toriko. As such the character appearing in the crossover should only be considered to be as powerful as the original if that isn't beyond the degree of power reasonable for the events in the story or other participants in the crossover.
Due to the above-mentioned story conventions, characters from different fictions should very seldom scale from each other even if the crossovers are official.
The crossover should be reasonably extensive, meaning that just brief cameos or references to another franchise should not be used for scaling purposes.
These nullify everything you're gunning for, as you can probably guess.

What we do have here is this:

Onesided crossovers officially take place within one continuity, but not the other. Given that some characters may be parodies of their original counterparts, they could potentially get a separate profile scaling from the other verse based on their importance to the story.

One example is the version of Dante in Megami Tensei, who is based on his Devil May Cry counterpart, with the same name and appearance, but a slightly altered story to fit in more with the Shin Megami Tensei verse. However, the character in question may not be used to scale to the Devil May Cry cast.

...not because of the word "canon" being used, but because it fits our definition of a Onesided Crossover.

I don't particularly care if you want to rewrite our crossover rules, I would disagree with that out of principle but you're welcome to ply your crusade to upgrade ******* Shovel Knight of all things to Tier 2. The point is, under our current rules, in no way is this upgrade even remotely possible to happen.

I honestly can't see which part of the crosover rules this is against, could you point to the said part of the rules this is against?
Already done so, it's literally the entire first half of the damn page lol

I mean, DDM is neutral with everything but option D cause he said that's where he wanted to be, I'm just counting votes Bambu, this ain't a topic i particularly care about other then bringing it up for people to debate and decide on. I also think 2-C SK would be based but yeah I don't lean particularly to either side on this crap lol
Then, like I said, wouldja mind counting my vote in both categories in which I would agree?

The shovel knight made kratos KNEEL?with a SHOVEL?

That is actually so cool what

Anyways, unless the shovel knight verse has any anti feats, i do think it possible to give him a 2-C key

Wait there's two categories you agree in? I thought you wanted me to put you as Disagree with everything except not canon?
I said that I also generally agree with Lephyr's take, in that even if this were a legitimate canon crossover, as we define that term, then it would not matter: our rules would still state that no scaling could take place and that this is an incredible outlier.

This is not this as it does not happen recurrently, nor does it occur within the actual God of War verse aside from WoG- Shovel Knight has never made an appearance in a God of War game.
that rules doesn’t seem to state we have to see it happen in both verses. Only that they have to officially take place in both. Cory Barlog purposefully stating its one of the adventures that happened between 3 and 4 during Krato’s journey between myths is enough to cover that.

I said that I also generally agree with Lephyr's take, in that even if this were a legitimate canon crossover, as we define that term, then it would not matter: our rules would still state that no scaling could take place and that this is an incredible outlier.
Done

that rules doesn’t seem to state we have to see it happen in both verses. Only that they have to officially take place in both. Cory Barlog purposefully stating its one of the adventures that happened between 3 and 4 during Krato’s journey between myths is enough to cover that.
They explicitly do.

Canon crossovers officially take place within both continuities, and as such recurrently happen within a shared universe or feature characters made by the same creators. Examples include Mario Vs Donkey Kong or Dead or Alive/Ninja Gaiden. It is canon to both franchises and feats/scaling may be used if they are consistent.

It does occur within the god of war verse, and wog from an interview is enough evidence for that. You are very heavily asserting the rule that it must be canon to both verses, while completely ignoring the fact that it is stated to be canon to both verses. Cool rule, but it wasn’t broken to begin with.
And sure, it doesn’t happen more than once, but that rule is arbitrary and we can rather easily repeal that given that this is a landmark case in which the rule is shown to be impractical. As I said before, we can get rid of stupid rules as we go, from a purely logical standpoint, the crt is completely correct, it’s the rule that’s wrong. If a bunch of staff vote against it then we just get rid of it, and we have too many staff here already (I am very uncomfortable with this) so it’s fine.
These nullify everything you're gunning for, as you can probably guess.

What we do have here is this:

...not because of the word "canon" being used, but because it fits our definition of a Onesided Crossover.

I don't particularly care if you want to rewrite our crossover rules, I would disagree with that out of principle but you're welcome to ply your crusade to upgrade ******* Shovel Knight of all things to Tier 2. The point is, under our current rules, in no way is this upgrade even remotely possible to happen.
The story convention that the characters are nerfed for plot is actually VERY DIRECTLY stated to be untrue, as a dev confirmed that Kratos was merged and said that shovel knight was “just that good” to the point where he could match Kratos. Are you starting to see how you sending a big wall of text of the rules doesn’t actually work when you’re failing to prove that these I’m particular actually apply here? And you keep on repeating and repeating the whole outlier bit, now why not go ahead and show off your anti feats from shovel knight if you’re so confident they exist.

I am somewhat annoyed on how vehemently it is being argued that both SK and GoW devs are both completely wrong about their own verse’s scaling when they came together and unanimously agreed that shovel knight being able to fight Kratos is canon…but we’ll probably catch up to the rest of the scaling world eventually.

It does occur within the god of war verse, and wog from an interview is enough evidence for that. You are very heavily asserting the rule that it must be canon to both verses, while completely ignoring the fact that it is stated to be canon to both verses. Cool rule, but it wasn’t broken to begin with.
It isn't.

And sure, it doesn’t happen more than once, but that rule is arbitrary and we can rather easily repeal that given that this is a landmark case in which the rule is shown to be impractical. As I said before, we can get rid of stupid rules as we go, from a purely logical standpoint, the crt is completely correct, it’s the rule that’s wrong. If a bunch of staff vote against it then we just get rid of it, and we have too many staff here already (I am very uncomfortable with this) so it’s fine.
This is neither a "landmark case" nor is the rule arbitrary- I do hate to tell you but Cory Balrog did not invent the notion of a "crossover". There are far sturdier cases than "The writer said it was real in an interview disconnected from the actual game"- ye gods, when did we forget Death of the Author?

The story convention that the characters are nerfed for plot is actually VERY DIRECTLY stated to be untrue, as a dev confirmed that Kratos was merged and said that shovel knight was “just that good” to the point where he could match Kratos. Are you starting to see how you sending a big wall of text of the rules doesn’t actually work when you’re failing to prove that these I’m particular actually apply here? And you keep on repeating and repeating the whole outlier bit, now why not go ahead and show off your anti feats from shovel knight if you’re so confident they exist.
The points I posted do not presume them to be nerfed, rather that our rules would go against scaling characters from two verses with entirely disjointed statistics and power levels. That's the ******* point lol. Are you starting to see how not reading the things you're arguing against doesn't actually work? Piss off.

no. that is not what that means at all.
Do you know what the word "recurrently" means, by any chance

Neutral, leaning on agree with C. Else, B would be a good option.

Honestly though, the PlayStation AllStars stuff for Kratos is clearer than this, since it's both said to be canon by devs at some point and actually referenced in-game.

But since devs insist this is canon then I dunno what to say.
Hey Bambu... get him.

Hey Bambu... get him.
very excited to do so when someone suggests we scale Metal Gear, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, et al, to whatever tier Devil May Cry is currently at

The fact that both All-Stars and Shovel Knight are ""canon"" honestly just makes it seem to me like the GOW devs want to reference every bit of Kratos' history, Shovel Knight for example just doesn't work with GoW's worldbuilding LMAO, especially if you throw the Battletoads into the mix.

very excited to do so when someone suggests we scale Metal Gear, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, et al, to whatever tier Devil May Cry is currently at
it's fine they used DmC: Devil May Cry Donte so like 7-A or something but also like 2-C cause GoW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back