• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some OPM Downgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator

Gouketsu​

The main problem is perspective. If you're measuring from the centre of a ring that's 1 km thick and 30 km across (it's not that big, but I don't care enough to remember all the individual values), you need to account for the fact that the back will look much smaller than the front due to perspective. It's much worse here since we're seeing it from a downward angle. Also, they're each measured diagonally, which means they all have problems with perspective compared to what we'd see if it were measured horizontally.

If we use angle-sizing, the radius (I've made sure to account for the different sizes of the front and back) is about 19062 metres, which is nearly half of the previous calculation. But that takes me to another problem.

The clouds here are centred on the buildings, so even with a FOV of 180 degrees it's not possible for the distance to be this large. In fact, we visibly see that this doesn't extend beyond the horizon from ground level, so the distance would be under 5 kilometres. I think the problem with the size is that we're assuming the clouds in the panel retain the same thickness, as if spreading the substance of the cloud over a much larger area wouldn't change its thickness.

Even if this calculation is still correct, claiming that Gouketsu's feat was performed with a singular hit is based on some erroneous logic. The sound effects vary from panel to panel based on their distance and location, and placing SFX in descending order is really just a trope. Also, the clouds are in concentric patterns, which wouldn't logically happen if this were one or multiple clouds hit by a single blow; you'd either get one ring, or a ring with multiple clouds blown away in different directions around it.

On another note, cloud calculations were revised a while ago, so this feat will have to be halved even if it's still accepted.

What do I recommend doing here if my logic is accepted? Just dump the calculation entirely. It's not going to be very high (clouds like this are only 500 tons), and saves us a lot of weird scaling and possibly ratings. We can just scale Gouketsu above Carnage, DS and Bakuzan. It's also good enough for a supporting feat since the area of a cloud would be nothing compared to the area of the blast wave itself.

Earthquake Formulas​

I've always been iffy on using the Earthquake formula for these because it's a very large shockwave. You can use the power of Earthquakes created by meteors and nuclear weapons to determine their yield, but that's based directly on the intensity of the Earthquake it creates, not the amount of damage it causes on the surface. But then they could be entirely comparable (I don't really think so, because shockwaves typically flatten buildings), so I'm not too sure.

I'd like some discussion here because multiple members, including Therefir, find this extremely precarious.

Last edited:
Agree Gouketsu shotting every dragon is hard to believe
FFsHeC4VEAAHSgE

I agree with the Gouketsu thing because now people will stop whining about him every other post, and I definitely agree with dropping the earthquake formula for the meteor and Boros’ ship calcs. I have no idea why those were used in the first place.

Since he can’t comment rn, @Emirp sumitpo wanted me to let you know that he agrees with the thread and downgrading Gouketsu to “At least 7-B” as well.

I agree with this, and Gouketsu's feat using the clouds I calculated from another feat didn't make much sense to me either.

City-A and City-Z calculations should change their method to the Ground Burst explosion formula and drop the earthquake formula, since the former is the standard for destruction feats via shockwaves and, in general, any kind of basic destruction performed by unknown means.

Last edited:
I'll ask Ugarik what he thinks as well, since I believe he's the one who decided on using the Earthquake formulas for these feats.

@Ugarik

I suppose there must be another CRT after this one right? To downgrade other characters who scale to Gouketsu. Or are you planning on solving that issue in this one as well?

There's only 3 characters who scale, and they just have possibly ratings. So I can easily get rid of those ratings.

It was debunked.

Also, it uses the distance between the stadium and the building to find the distance between the stadium and the building based on timeframe.

Edit: I meant distance between buildings to the clouds, but it's effectively the same thing.

Last edited:
It was debunked.

Also, it uses the distance between the stadium and the building to find the distance between the stadium and the building based on timeframe.

Edit: I meant distance between buildings to the clouds, but it's effectively the same thing.
It's funny. Previously, Vaccine had a level of 33 megatons. Beefcake had a level of 30 megatons. According to new calculations, Gouketsu will have a level of 33 megatons.

Some kind of curse.

have no idea why those were used in the first place.
Because Orochi and Tornado had calculations for them, along with the meteor impact and everyone just sorta assumed that's how it works.

Of them all only like, the meteor actually qualifies for the earthquake thing used.

This is a shame, but I understand the field of view counting against the feat. We'll just end up with an indeterminant plague of at least 7-Bs

I'll remove the feat, then.

Also, I tried to ping you earlier, but there's a few people with the same name.

I'll remove the feat, then.

Also, I tried to ping you earlier, but there's a few people with the same name.
Not to worry. Did you see my idea for calcing Rover's durability? It seems to me that the chasm in the monster association was created, or at least dramatically altered into being what it is now, by Saitama punching Rover. However, I want to make sure there aren't any big objections to the method before I finish the calc.

I disagree with dividing the Gouketsu cloud shockwave. In the chapter, we see the sound effect for "smash," then we see the shockwave. link. The effects that we see on the panel of the feat don't seem to be sfx signalizing punches from Gouketsu, because in the next couple pages, we see the sfx for multiple punches. They say, "Crack, Smack, Stomp." In the panel of the feat, unless we can have someone verify, I think it is safe to assume that the sfx on the feat are not meant to signify punches, but to signify the birds flying.

To further support that the feat happened is one punch, is from Suiryu. After the feat, he clearly said, "That sound.. It's started." If it was 5 punches, wouldn't Suiryu have said "Those sounds"?

The birds flying away are different sound effects to the three large sound effects around the cloud, which are what I'm referring to. The other sound effects in a different location that I posted were examples of the SFX changing with distance.

As for why he says 'that sound', it could be that A) he's just not including them all, because who cares and they're the same sound, and B) sound takes time to travel.

The calculation is wrong, anyway, so I'm still removing it. Even the person who calculated it admits that perspective makes it inaccurate. The fact that it was multiple blows is just one part to compound why it's not really worth recalculating.

Last edited:
Ugarik apparently hasn't been on the wiki for a month, so I guess we should do the Earthquake downgrades.

We already have the distances measured, so we just need to take them and apply the explosion formula (the ground burst one).

I could do it myself, but then we would have to ask another member of the calc group to evaluate it.

So I would prefer if someone else made the blogs for me to immediately evaluate them.

There's an earthquake formula for meteors so I think that one can stay.
Nukes do as well. The problem is still the same because you're determining the level of the earthquake from a shockwave that flattens buildings rather than the known seismic intensity.

I see, so the meteorite would just scale to the destruction of a city I suppose?

You can apply it, the removal of the earthquake formula has been already accepted in this thread.

Last edited:
I've finished the changes. Also, thanks for doing the calculations section.

Should I close this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back