• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some resistances and immunities for Brook

The_Calaca

VS Battles
Retired
Brook is dead, and he's not only dead. He's a skeleton and nothing more and as such he should be immune to things such as Blood Manipulation.

He shown himself unaffected by an attack that absorbs the moisture by virtue of being an skeleton. This should apply the same way to anything that targets body parts that he lacks to begin with. This is the same thing as Immunity to Soul Manipulation by virtue of lacking a soul.

Some attacks that ignore durability do that by targetting the organs, so a Limited Resistance to Durability Negation with the proper justifications should be fine.

I'm not sure myself if he should be resistant to things that target body parts such as the eyes or the brain because even if he lacks them, he's somewhat capable of see and think without them. Possibly Resistance to sight-based Illusion Creation and Mind Manipulation.

Well, by default it would possesses the physiology of an undead skeleton, so he has it by default, not sure if is necessary to add it, guess there's nothing wrong with it.

Durability Negation involve several abilities, so it do not counts as having that.

Unless he is mindless, he shouldn't be immune to mind manipulation; however, he is immune to brain based abilities, but that fall in the fist part.

That's why I said about those that targets the organs rather than some kind of magical ability.

Dunno much about the characters who lacks some vital part, but I think they gain the resistance/immunity added to their profiles. This should be the same.

This seems fine to me I agree with specifying the exact resistances and the point about mind Manipulation.

Why am I picturing Brook telling a skull joke any moment now

Ok, I'm fine with it, although kinda redundant, but don't think you should put resistance/immunity to Mind, Illusion Manipulation nor Durability Negation.

Immunity to Moisture Absorption / Blood Manipulation seems like an obvious power, but I'm not sure if it worth noting on his profile because it is so obvious.

It's not like anyone will try to argue that a character with blood-manipulating powers could affect Brook because it would take about 2 seconds to point out that Brook has no blood to begin with.

Antoniofer is right that Resistance to Durability Negation doesn't really apply.

Resistance to Sight-based Illusion Creation wouldn't really apply because he can still see, unless those specific techniques only worked through eye-contact like Lelouch's Geass for example.

I'll try to word it better:

Immune to brain-based Mind Manipulation by virtue of lacking a brai

@Damage

Since this is an index site, it should be listed even if it's obvious. What a member in a versus match would say has nothing to do with this. We're looking for being as accurate as possible.

Every power that works contacting some part of body Brook lacks should be ineffective and useless.

Right, but how far could you take it?

You could say he has Immunity to Blood Manipulation, Nerve Manipulation, Muscle Manipulation, Skin Manipulation, etc.

I think a better way of summing it up would be to give him Limited Resistance to Biological Manipulation (Due to lacking blood, organs, muscles, etc.)

How does that sound?

Much better, but that doesn't take into account Illusions and Mind Manipulation.

Edit: Limited is possibly not accurate since he's only bones and hair, meaning that only that kind of manipulation'd affect him while the things that he's immune are far more numerous.

So Limited Immunity to Biological Manipulation.

As for the other part, that is more of a weakness of those abilities than a strength of Brook's. That Lelouch's Geass can only take effect through eye contact is his weakness.

A blind person would not gain the ability to resist mind manipulation just because Lelouch's power wouldn't work on him.

As for the eyes-based attacks, yeah, that's a weakness. But as for the brain-based attacks it should be listed. Soul Manipulation works on people's souls but if the target lacks a soul as Brook lacks a brain we list the Immunity on their profiles.

Yeah, but there isn't a specific power for Brain Manipulation, and Resistance/Immunity to Mind Manipulation is too broad.

If we consider manipulating someones brain to induce an illusion to be a sub-power of Biological Manipulation, then the Limited Immunity to Biological Manipulation covers it.

Limited Immunity should be fine if we specify which type is it.

But it probably is as you say.

I'm mean... It's common knowledge, this would be the equivalent to us adding immunity to biological manipulation for Non-Corpreal entities.

However it's fine I guess.

LordGriffin1000, in those cases I think having the ability of Non-Corporeal would make adding the other bit redundant, but Brook doesn't have an equivalent power in place that covers it.

Well Brook is nothing but a skeleton so it should be obvious Blood Manipulation won't work on him.

In-verse he's often referred as a guy with a skeleton's mask/helmet.

We know he's a skeleton, but people around him don't realize that the same way.

Not sure if Resistance is accurate. He's not resisting attacks that target some organs that he doesn't have. He's outright ignoring them, which means he's immune against those attacks.

Calaca Vs said:
Not sure if Resistance is accurate. He's not resisting attacks that target some organs that he doesn't have. He's outright ignoring them, which means he's immune against those attacks.
on Resistance page:

Outright immunity should nearly never be given except in certain cases, such as being immune to Soul Manipulation due to lacking a soul.

In this case Brook lacks all the organs and have just hair and bones so he should be immune to powers that target skin, vital organs, brain, heart, etc.

Calaca Vs said:
In this case Brook lacks all the organs and have just hair and bones so he should be immune to powers that target skin, vital organs, brain, heart, etc.
His immunity is too limited to be the case as he still corporeal which many characters with Biological Manipulation can affects. Limited Immunities, in any case, is resistance and is a misnomer.

He's corporeal but he's just bones and hair. That isn't even the 30% of things a body is composed of. Limited Immunity should be fine since he's immune to things that affect the parts of the body he lacks.

Resistance isn't the correct word in this case.

Seems good go me, Brook doesn't have a brain to effect with mind hax so there's really nothing that can mind screw him. Although it can be debated that his mind is just disembodied.

I don't know. This is literally like giving every robot, golem, etc. on the wiki immunity to biological manipulation. Just seems really unnecessary.

Actually, Mindhax that attacks the mind as the metaphysical thing should have effect since the brain isn't the target.

Andytrenom said:
I don't know. This is literally like giving every robot, golem, etc. on the wiki immunity to biological manipulation. Just seems really unnecessary.
The definition:

The highest degree of resistance is outright Immunity, preventing use of that ability on any scale from affecting the user at all. However, immunity is not easily gained, as while someone's resistance to a certain kind of attack may be absolute within their verse, it is not necessarily the case against more potent uses of that ability. Outright immunity should nearly never be given except in certain cases, such as being immune to Soul Manipulation due to lacking a soul.

Calaca Vs said:
He's corporeal but he's just bones and hair. That isn't even the 30% of things a body is composed of. Limited Immunity should be fine since he's immune to things that affect the parts of the body he lacks.
Resistance isn't the correct word in this case.
RIP his Limited Immunity since most characters with Biological Manipulation can affect bones anyway.

How do you call a dude who ignores the effect of blood manipulation due to lacking blood?

It's the same for every organ he lacks. Limited Immunity to Biological Manipulation is the way to sum up every immunity without being redundant.

@Nedge

That's why it's Limited and not outright immunity. He ignores everything but hair and bones manipulation but the things he ignores are much more in variety than the things that can affect him.

Why do you bring Higher Dimensional beings? Of course they ignore lower dimensional resistances/immunities. I don't get the point.

Andytrenom said:
Andytrenom said:
@Nedge Your point?
Well, I didn't mean to be impolite. Andytrenom, it is really immunity case in point; what happens when 1-A or Tier 2-A use Biological Manipulation on Tier 7 robot? I am pretty sure, the robot won't resist it or be immune to higher D attack.

Once again how is this any different than giving a robot immunity to Biological manipulation? Some abilities are obvious enough that they don't need to be listed.

That sounds like a Golden Mean fallacy Nedge. Of course a higher dimensional being can bypass his resistance. Brook is 3-D, but that doesn't mean he isn't resistant. That's like me removing every resistance on 3-D profiles because someone who's 4-D and above can effect them. It doesn't work like that, here's a good example. You wouldn't say that Natsu isn't resistant to fire manipulation because a 1-A can burn him right? It's the same case here.

Andytrenom said:
Once again how is this any different than giving a robot immunity to Biological manipulation? Some abilities are obvious enough that they don't need to be listed.
Non-Corporal beings and robots have powers that make this redundant while Brook doesn't. He doesn't have any kind of Cyborgization nor Non-Corporeality or Abstract Existence.

Rin The Dragon Empress said:
That sounds like a Golden Mean fallacy Nedge. Of course a higher dimensional being can bypass his resistance. Brook is 3-D, but that doesn't mean he isn't resistant. That's like me removing every resistance on 3-D profiles because someone who's 4-D and above can effect them. It doesn't work like that, here's a good example. You wouldn't say that Natsu isn't resistant to fire manipulation because a 1-A can burn him right? It's the same case here.

Golden Mean fallacy
This kind of argument supposes that when there are two opposing viewpoints, the truth must lie somewhere in - between, ignoring the possibility that one of the viewpoints is simply wrong.

This is not what I have done. My point is on immunity.

Back