• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Somewhat stricter upcoming word filter settings

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Our forum system manager told me the following earlier today:
1000042505.png

Because of these words along with other few words, ads are blocked on like 18k+ pages.

Google detecting them as violation and ends up blocking those pages.

And it is hampering our ranking.

I have added a few just for test.

You can check the censor word list.

I think I have added 3 to 4.

Those are very common.

It can save at least 5k+ pages.

Remember, Google will never count them as real pages and they will consider them page violation.

We are risking our community going down.

Google hates forums and if this going non stop, our rank will go down.

I am in test phase now and see how much it removes.

24 hours should be enough.

So I guess I will see the impact tomorrow morning.

A mixed community is very dangerous and we gotta set some strict ground rules.

You can do whatever you want via personal message, but please, not in a public forum.
As such, we will unfortunately be forced to add a few extra words to our automatic content filter. My apologies. 🙏

We obviously won't start to ban people for using what are not actual serious slurs, but we will have to add a few more words to our filter due to Google currently hiding all of our pages that contain them from their search results.

To check if a slur or a swear word has been used, our thread moderators and administrators can click the "Edit" button for a specific post and select the source editing mode.

Again, I apologise for the inconvenience, but this issue has turned out of my hands, and we strictly apply this measure because of Google's enforced regulations. 🙏

Well frick. I think it's flopping stupid that we have to frigging censor all that shiz. I kinda hope this doesn't do jack, but if that's the bullhockey we have to go through to keep this Kant alive, then so be it.

And, I guess, at least I'm putting my donkey on the line by donating to the Patreon, how about you Bíches?

Well frick. I think it's flopping stupid that we have to frigging censor all that shiz. I kinda hope this doesn't do jack, but if that's the bullhockey we have to go through to keep this Kant alive, then so be it.

And, I guess, at least I'm putting my donkey on the line by donating to the Patreon, how about you? Bíches.
Damn.

I really don't think its that bad that the censorship of swearing is being introduced though. It really doesn't hurt but a lot of users are annoyed by it.

Question. So this filter means words can still be posted but they will only censored?

Users wont be punished for writing them, correct?
That is correct, unless they are serious slurs or threats, and the like.
Why aren't these censored when you say them though
We haven't applied the new censor filter settings yet. Our forum system manager told me that we may have hit our base upper limit of automatically censored words, due to all of the illegal links in our list, and may have to add some kind of plugin to extend it.

If @ImmortalDread or somebody else has good suggestions for a plugin of this nature, feel free to mention it to me via private messages.

We haven't applied the new censor filter settings yet. Our forum system manager told me that we may have hit our base upper limit of automatically censored words, due to all of the illegal links in our list, and may have to add some kind of plugin to extend it.
Ah, alright.

There may be another option, but highly doubt it may work out and doubt many users will be willing to contribute to it. Not sure if that was permission and if possible it would be discussed in a different thread. Though I wouldn't mind listing it as an optional statement but as said, it would still seem unlikely.

Well, what are we supposed to do? Pick a fight with Google when we have already lost a lot of money from keeping this forum running?
Personally, I don't care if this forum/wiki survives, I don't like it at all, but the fact that people are clowning you for something out of your control and not helping you keep this forum alive is really ..cking evil tbh.
Before you say it, I would donate, but I don't have enough money to be donating like that.

Personally, I don't care if this forum/wiki survives, I don't like it at all
Well, our community have collectively likely spent at least a few millions of hours building what is probably the most perfectionistic and ambitious wiki in all of Fandom, as well as the most popular powerscaling information wiki that the world has ever seen, and I alone have probably spent over 40,000 hours doing so, so I very much do care about the continuous wellbeing of both our wiki and community.
but the fact that people are clowning you for something out of your control and not helping you keep this forum alive is really ..cking evil tbh.
Before you say it, I would donate, but I don't have enough money to be donating like that.
No problem. Thank you for your support anyway. 🙏💖

Last edited:
And, I guess, at least I'm putting my donkey on the line by donating to the Patreon, how about you Bíches?
I have been doing it the entire time, and I still suggest people to donate rather complaining excessively without offering any good alternatives.
If @ImmortalDread or somebody else has good suggestions for a plugin of this nature, feel free to mention it to me via private messages.
Unfortunately, censor/swear filter only extends to the word itself, but as long as it is formatted, it can't detect it. To illustrate my point further:

badword != badword

The former will be censored, the second would not due to the formatting in the word. As for plugin in itself, no need (you will pay unnecessary money), I can tell you the solution if wiki manager understands basic PHP configuration (and I hope he does, since every wiki manager should know how it works).

But to make it public: there is limitation after 337 entries because there is a default max limit in PHP, you can simply configure it by simply editing the max limit there.

Thank you very much for the information. I will inform our forum system manager about this. 🙏🙂💖

It's a fair point but some people just don't have money to donate sometimes, it's frustrating but hey what can ya do?
It is unfortunate. I completely understand. That's why it's optional – as long as you are capable of it and can afford it. I am simply referring to people who can do this regardless but choose to complain and rant nonsensically.

It's a fair point but some people just don't have money to donate sometimes, it's frustrating but hey what can ya do?
Yes, and other people live in authoritarian countries that restrict Internet access, such as to PayPal or Patreon.

Yes. I am uncertain if it is due to Google blocking 18000+ of our forum pages with words that they dislike from containing advertisements, as we have switched to another advertisement partner that will hopefully pay us more recently, or if they are preventing 18000+ of our forum pages from appearing via their search engine, or both in combination, but they are certainly strangling us financially.

Well, what are we supposed to do? Pick a fight with Google when we have already lost a lot of money from keeping this forum running?
That's the problem, I doubt Google would be this strict in the first place to begin with. The problem lies elsewhere, because FANDOM runs wikis significantly more profane, gory, suggestive and heavily unsuited for people under 18 years of age.

Speaking of filters, can the word "troon" be added to the swear filter, among other anti-identity slurs? Because that's a recently-appeared transphobic slur from what I've witnessed and it's only fair to add discriminatory words to the filter.

I purposely inline-spoilered the word to avoid offense despite wanting it filtered.

That's the problem, I doubt Google would be this strict in the first place to begin with. The problem lies elsewhere, because FANDOM runs wikis significantly more profane, gory, suggestive and heavily unsuited for people under 18 years of age.
This makes no sense.

"I doubt Google is strict," don't you see the statistics in the screenshot? They removed over 18,000 pages because of it. This is the definition of "strictness." Also, how did you connect Google advertisement with Fandom when Fandom itself does not enable advertisements by default.

We are discussing advertisements here. Any fandom without this system can have any gory or suggestive content or any other content as long as it is not sponsored. You missed the entire point here. Google is strict, and thus we are adhered to the guidelines. There is really no conspiracy or anything.

Well, our forum system manager apparently has a list of all the pages that Google prevents advertisements from running on, which I showed a screencapture of in my first post in this thread.

Speaking of filters, can the word "troon" be added to the swear filter, among other anti-identity slurs? Because that's a recently-appeared transphobic slur from what I've witnessed and it's only fair to add discriminatory words to the filter.

I purposely inline-spoilered the word to avoid offense despite wanting it filtered.
I'm no expert here but seems this thread is a warning only about the more everyday swear words. Offensive slurs such as this ought to be bannable offenses instead.

Back