• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Well, I'm not saying that they should be a lower tier either, given there's direct relative scaling between Classic Super and Modern Super with Generations.

It's amusing that despite the fact most of the fandom knows IDW Sonic is the embodiment of mediocre, there are still some fans that are disappointed that the teased "Phantom Rider" turned out to be Sonic and not Infinite, sunken costs is one hell of a drug (my shameless cynicism aside).

I think that was already revealed in the solicits, so I wasn't too disappointed.
It was but copium and theories do go wild unfortunately. Still hilarious that Doctor Eggman (A war criminal, imperialistic dictator, mass murderer, etc) can just causally order food in a public place like it's nothing because mUh FrEeDoM (which is ironic considering the writers aren't even free to show background human characters lol!).

It was but copium and theories do go wild unfortunately. Still hilarious that Doctor Eggman (A war criminal, imperialistic dictator, mass murderer, etc) can just causally order food in a public place like it's nothing because mUh FrEeDoM (which is ironic considering the writers aren't even free to show background human characters lol!).
TBF, given some of Eggman's portrayals, he's either a) a decent enough person to respect establishment rules, or b) a guy who would kill everybody in the vicinity if they got even one part of his order wrong. Sometimes it's best just to play along.

I love most of the characterization in idw and usually new character's introduced are great or at worst alright. Another plus with idw is the art which is usually top notch or again alright at worst. I can also appreciate some of the sonic forces damage control. I hate that it was necessary in the first place but I think it was handled as well as it could be.

But the negatives of idw for me are narrative stakes especially when a legacy character is involved a lack of context on how the world responds to events like the metal virus.

Anyways I could elaborate on why I feel that way but instead I will summarize all of my IDW sonic thoughts in one sentence.

A mixed bag with highlights

I've grown semi-fond of IDW, even if many of my initial gripes remain. Hopefully this Phantom Rider stuff is cool and Clutch gets shat on.

Maybe with any luck, we'll get something as Kino as Scrapnik Island.

Why people don´t like IDW Sonic? I´ve read until the end of the Metal Virus arc and found it pretty ok (Although the way Shadow got infected is explicitely bad writing imo)
Essentially IDW Sonic pretty much has the flawed Batman mortality (which reached critical mass when he and Surge fought, with the latter calling him out for always allowing Eggman to getaway with literal murder and the world being "grateful" to be caught up in a perpetual conflict between Sonic plus friends and the Eggman Empire while people continuously get hurt or killed) but arguably worst since Sonic regularly makes truces with Eggman knowing full well he will never willingly change for the better with all the blood he has on his hands, I mean the first settlement he used the metal virus on was the one that took him in as Mr.Tinker (Also the idealism of giving freedom to everyone including those who's core objective is to takeaway everyone else's freedom is quite the paradox).

Funny enough this is the same IDW Sonic that tried to infect Eggman with the metal virus so....

Personally I don't mind IDW Sonic's characterization as long as other characters don't get demonized for having different world views (which would contradict Sonic wanting everyone to be "free") but IDW is gulity of doing this without the nuance that you can have good aligned characters whose morals don't revolve around the main protag which is one of the major reasons IDW Shadow is a mess... but that's a different discussion.
It's just really boring for me.
I feel the same. Predictable plotlines, shallow barebones worldbuilding (literally half the population is missing because Sega is still afraid of human NPCs) and knowing full well the new characters will always play second fiddle to the legacy characters (with their hyper form level plot armour) while the new villains are just there to be hype fodder for both legacy heroes and villain, casing point: Dr.Starline.

Last edited:
IDW Sonic is ok... and thats about it. It doesnt really feel grandious enough lately, which while it was problem at start due to Metal Virus arguably happening too early in comics, it feels like nothing major is happening, even when they have been building stuff. IDW has arguably been stuck in mediocrity, which while it will likely never sunk to depths of say worst of Archie, is just... ehhhh

Then its the problem of OCs getting too much time. And they kinda have become buzzkills so that sucks.

And there is the problem of Eggman's characterization, they opened the demon from bottle as I said way back. They reaaaally shouldnt have questioned Eggman's morality and whatnot because now there is much less reason to keep Eggman around. He was fine with leaving Earth doomed with Robot zombies? They made him bit too evil to stay free. I suppose SA2 also made him evil, but even then his core was to be ruler of the world. Not, "oops I ruined Earth, oh well I'll go to next planet hohoho".

And having pretty art is... not quite best argument for IDW.

I Will say...archie IS shit
Png

I mean tbh Archie's problems are technically lesser, as majority of it is Ian's good stuff thanks to Issues 160+ and Universe Issues.

But good god how did Archie not die in 75-159s Era? I know I said good art might not be best, but garbage abysmal art from that Era is baffling.

I mean tbh Archie's problems are technically lesser, as majority of it is Ian's good stuff thanks to Issues 160+ and Universe Issues.

But good god how did Archie not die in 75-159s Era? I know I said good art might not be best, but garbage abysmal art from that Era is baffling.
Maybe people had different standard

What was the point of even making idw canon why not a Separate universe they do it all the time honestly otherworldly comedy make a far more better and understanding sequel to force than the idw comic

I think the worst thing to come out of IDW being canon to the games is Sonic Frontiers. Specifically, Eggman's relationship with Sage.

To keep it brief but simple: IDW really goes hard into how much of a threat and monster that Eggman can be, which IMO works under any other context, with the whole Metal Virus thing and all that. And then you have Frontiers, which says that same doctor who did all that nefarious shit actually has a sense of humanity inside him and can actually care about others. It creates this very crazy whiplash of characterization where one medium embraces the evil of Eggman, and one tries to humanize a villain that's been around for decades.

I think the worst thing to come out of IDW being canon to the games is Sonic Frontiers. Specifically, Eggman's relationship with Sage.

To keep it brief but simple: IDW really goes hard into how much of a threat and monster that Eggman can be, which IMO works under any other context, with the whole Metal Virus thing and all that. And then you have Frontiers, which says that same doctor who did all that nefarious shit actually has a sense of humanity inside him and can actually care about others. It creates this very crazy whiplash of characterization where one medium embraces the evil of Eggman, and one tries to humanize a villain that's been around for decades.
I mean.......have you kept up with this franchise in the past 30 years? Eggman's portrayal in idw is NOTHING special when compared to the games, he is just game eggman, idk why everyone treata metal virus as something big when he has done FAR WORSE before in most of tge games, slaves, genocide over and over, etc, metal virus truly is NOTHING in comparison

What was the point of even making idw canon why not a Separate universe they do it all the time honestly otherworldly comedy make a far more better and understanding sequel to force than the idw comic
It always followed the games, with the events being cited since the begining, it was merely a natural step i was surprised wasn't done since the begining

I understand that they wanted to do their own thing, that's why there are so many original characters and that's why initially it contradicts Team Sonic Racing about the fact that they hadn't seen Eggman since the events of Forces (that I remember),
What's funny, as I remember, apparently there are 3 sequels to Sonic Forces that are canon, but all 3 contradict each other (

I understand that they wanted to do their own thing, that's why there are so many original characters and that's why initially it contradicts Team Sonic Racing about the fact that they hadn't seen Eggman since the events of Forces (that I remember),
What's funny, as I remember, apparently there are 3 sequels to Sonic Forces that are canon, but all 3 contradict each other (
It doesn't contradicts Team Sonic Racing, idw starts only 1 month after Forces, TSR happens somewhere after Metal Virus

I Will say...archie IS shit
TBH I think it was the absolute buck-wild nature of the comics along with the fact that it wasn’t canon to the games that generally make it more fun than the IDW comics. There’s no game continuity to follow and characters are allowed to be and behave however they want in these comics and it wouldn’t matter.

In contrast, the idw comics feel like they try to do the same thing but their canonicity ends up detracting from the games rather than adding to it with Ian’s frequently clashing interpretations of characters compared to the games along with the fact that the stories just feel heavily sanitised and underwhelming in general.

Even in their lows, Archie Sonic was always a so bad it’s funny kind of thing whereas IDW kind of just feels mediocre and lacking of a certain charm Archie had.

Back