• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Soul Eater: Speed Upgrade

So I just finished reading the final chapters of Soul Eater, I know the series isn't as popular as the big ones out there, but I believe these feats have not been looked over enough and I have a few questions on why Black Star is rated as he is. I believe he should be higher up in the speed category and I shall explain thoroughly as to why that is:

First off, Black Star has been fired at with laser beams from Moonlight and has not only dodged but caught them and thrown them back at his opponent (1 , 2 )

I'll get into how this was possible in a moment but let's look at his laser beam attacks; How they work is he actually reflects the rays from the sun and fires it off as an attack out of his cloak (much like the way our own moon reflects sunlight) this was possible because they were actually battling on the moon itself and their enemies are essentially mini-moons. If you still make the argument that this isn't natural light then I point you to one of the ways it has been avoided without speed and that is through a Soul Resonance Light Refractio Technique. It was performed by both Dengu Dinga and Alexandre (Dengu as the Rainbow Axe) and it literally just bends the light around them, in this case the Air Ship avoiding them all from harm.

Now Black Star himself exclaims why it was he was able to actually grab the light (3,4) and it really isn't a good reason it's basically "Because He's Super Awesome" which equates to "Because He's Black Star" basically and if you're all aware of Fairy Tail there's a similar character like that in the verse and the author likes to give the excuse "Because She's Erza" so we have a common clause of the characters recieving special treatment. I have my own theory that it's because his powers revolve around manipulating the shadows and he was able to pull the light in but that is neither here nor there.

However, I do not believe the special treatment of him discredits the feat because this is just how he was able to grab the light itself able to react at such speeds should be considered all his; thus pertaining to the "Ninja" esque character typing and is basically the fastest person in the series, on par with his Father, White Star.

If you argue that it's because he can sense it before it comes like Precognition (spidey sense, haki, etc) The closest thing like that the verse has is
Soul Perception, and Precognition. Precog is only granted to high-level Magic Users like Eibon or Maba, Soul Perception is an ability Black Star most definitely has being a meister but it's not the type of ability that can do such things it only reads the presence of another person and through higher concentration can be used to determine what kind of Soul it is, it's personality and emotional state like when Maka searches the whole earth for Crona, being such a high level at it.

Now, this is not the only instance of him having extraordinarily high speed feats, for example Black Star with his
Shadow Star Third Form: Severed Shadow Tsubaki explains that this form gives him the ability to move at the "Speed of a Shadow" (5 ) and leave Afterimages that have the appearance to have actual mass behind them. Well Shadows are essentially brought upon by the last photon that is allowed through the obstruction or actual particles that move at the speed of light. If you make the argument that these are actual "shadow clones" they are not because no such thing is possible in the verse as Mifune goes on to say (6) even with his Fourth Form Technique that is merely his partner, Tsubaki transforming into Black Star there's no such technique that gives clones their mind of it's own only leave a Dummy like a subsitution jutsu in the verse.

The last instance of him demonstrating why he's the fastest character in the verse is when he's infiltrating Baba Yaga castle and sets off multiple alarms at once scattered about the enemies territory and the only way he could do that was if he was in multiple places at once, perhaps a foreshadowing of Third Form? (7,8) You can see from the scans that he left an extraordinarily large amount of destruction just brough about by his sheer speed alone.

Now as to accepting this I don't believe we should just jump to conclusions right away saying he's both the Speed of Light in Travel Speed and FTL in reactions that is possible but he could also just very well be Relativistic in both I believe.

Now you're all probably wondering how this would scale to all the other characters well after heavy researching I see that the only reliable evidence for their speeds are
Mifune's calculation and it looks like it's a whole cluster of scaling from Mifune going to Black Star then taking his speed putting that towards Kid & Maka but the whole feat just seems very casual which is why we have the "at least" there on his page and i'm not sure why it's removed on the other pages.

Please don't just say this isn't possible or not the case if you disagree towards the argument please provide your own contradicting what I've put together, Thank you and I'd like to hear all your opinions on the subject.

Edit: Excuse the font Idk what happened :/

No, this is not a legitimate light feat, for a few reasons:

1) Light cannot be grabbed. There is no excuse for that. While it's true that this can be overcome with other standards met, this feat doesn't meet those standards, because...

2) It was not refraction, but bending. Refraction doesn't work that way. So it's not a point for, it's a point against.

3) The light also curves many many other instances when Moonlight uses it

1) I explained why the light was grabbed nobody else could, it was merely because he's Black Star.

2) Refraction does work that way it's when light enters a different medium it changes it's speed by slowing down drastically and appears to bend. Through the soul resonance Dengu was able to put up somewhat of an invisible barrier and bent the light through it, much that of making a different media.

3) Moonlight can manipulate the natural light what's your point that's his ability I don't see how that discredits the feat

1) "Because he's black star" does not prevent it from being a negative

2) As you said, media needs to change. It didn't go from a gas to a liquid, it just stayed in the air. Furthermore, the way it curved is totally unnatural. Light doesn't "curve" - it is always a straight line until refraction or reflection occur.

3) He uses curved light many times in that fight

It is too late to reply, but i think that OP is right.

Moonlight's Light Beams were countered by Light Bending, due to it being light, like, literally.

It's even shown clearly in the manga and stated in the wiki.

So, the laser that comes from Moonlight is light laser beams.

https://w11.mangafreak.net/Read1_Soul_Eater_91

Read pages 12, 13, 14 and 15.

The beams traveled at straight lines in pages 12, 13, and 15 (The beams were bent to be refracted around the ship).

In addition to this, despite the technique being named Light Bending in the manga, i went to the Japanese version of the manga, and found its kanji spelling to be: ÕàëÕ▒êµèÿ.

Which literally translates to : Light Refractio.

So, there you go. Light Refraction, which in turn means that those are indeed light lasers. You also have the 3 conditions of it being light.

1 - It travels in a straight line.

2 - It was refracted and was refracted by a technique that refracts light.

3 - It was stated to be a laser, and from the technique that countered it, it was shown to be light-based.

Because this is not the thread that is meant fr the calculation that i posted. In fact, after i did the calculation, the calculation staff agreed on it and allowed me to upgrade the speed of the characters.

May I ask where? Cause on the blog ant said it can probably be used. and I'm think? a revision theead still needs to be made to discuss who scales to it/if it's an outlire. Sometimes I see threads made sometimes I don't is why I think.

Back