• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Speed Equalization Regulations and "Stomp" Matches

Dragonmasterxyz

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
So two thing I things need to be addressed when talking about vs battles.

Speed Equalization: So this must be discussed as there are multiple interpretations of this. So I will ask the questions. Is EVERYTHING equalized? Y'know Movement,Combat/Reaction,Flight and Attack Speed. Are speed boosting techiniques null and void? We need to devise a rule for this to avoid confusion.

"Stomp" Matches: We need to set a guideline between "Stomp" Matches and "Decisive" Matches. What is a stomp? What would qualify as a stomp? Well more specifically Haxstomps. That's it.

So I want to know you guys' solutions.

1st paragraph response: Yes. Everything speed related is set to one speed. Including techniques.

2nd paragraph response: agreed. I'll come up with something later

No. Staff discussion is the only one like that. (Though I feel that this will likely be moved there eventually)

Speed equalised should mean just that, speed equalised. Arguing for speedblitz in a match where speed is equalised sounds silly, imo.

Stomp would be when theres no literal way to win before the fights even started, or a very unrealistic chance of winning. This needs a bit of laxing, we remove more fights then we add because everyone just claims stomp.

^yeah. While decisive would be a win in which one character would be able to use his obvious advantage to clearly win in what would be a really tough fight without it.

While I support Speed Equal as almost every match would be impossible without allowing it, as silly as it may sound, I am not a fan of equalizing infinite or immeasurable speed.

If you had to nerf/amp someone literally by an infinite amount, the match isn't very "notable" in my opinion.

Wiki Management is the wrong board for this. It is for rule-violation threads, and other maintenance requests. I moved the thread to the staff forum.

Antvasima said:
Wiki Management is the wrong board for this. I moved the thread to the staff forum.
Ah okay. I wasn't sure whether this should've been staff only or not.

LordAizenSama said:
Speed equalised should mean just that, speed equalised. Arguing for speedblitz in a match where speed is equalised sounds silly, imo.
Stomp would be when theres no literal way to win before the fights even started, or a very unrealistic chance of winning. This needs a bit of laxing, we remove more fights then we add because everyone just claims stomp.
So you agree that even attack speeds should be equalized, right? Just trying to get everyone's opinions right.

I agree with this. Hence why I want us to see what exactly should qualify as a stomp. Like for example. X character stop time and use energy blasts. Y character can only use simple energy and elemental attacks. Is this a stomp or not?

Dragonmasterxyz said:
So you agree that even attack speeds should be equalized, right? Just trying to get everyone's opinions right.

I agree with this. Hence why I want us to see what exactly should qualify as a stomp. Like for example. X character stop time and use energy blasts. Y character can only use simple energy and elemental attacks. Is this a stomp or not?
Yes. attack speed also.

It's really a case by case basis, for example a characters personality or mindset, Esdeath has timestop powers but she tends to avoiding using it until she feels she is backed into a corner far enough, and perhaps because she just wants to extend the duration of fights, giving the other person a window of opportunity to win.

The difference decisive and a stomp is a grey area, theres no real clearcut way to define them.

Ah okay. Could we perhaps add this to the speed equalization rules. " All speed is equalized including attacks."

Question though. If speed is equalized, do we bump the slower one up or bump the faster one down?

E.g. Superhuman vs Hypersonic

Where whichever speed being bumped will be the difference between zigzagging through bullet fire and getting zigzagged with bullets.

So if a gun fight between a peak human and a casual bullet timer is equalized...

What then? Bumping up, they're both bullet timers, bumping down, they're gonna get shot or something.

I agree with what Gemmy is saying and have thought the same.

If someone's speed is nerfed for a match, their fighting style could be considerably changed since they are used to fighting at high speeds blocking and evading a massive amount of hits. Or vice versa with a rather slow character's style being more suited to fighting at lower intensities.

But I do not believe it is that big of an issue and that a match can still be held fine regardless, though with different effects.

EDIT: I might have misunderstood what Gemmy meant. But I still believe this could effect one's fighting style at times, but not to a significant degree.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
So a move that has infinite speed is equalized as well?
In my opinion this depends on infinite in which sense. Teleportation has "infinite speed", but if you would change that it wouldn't be teleportation anymore. In other words techniques that work instantly, without really crossing distance, probably shouldn't be equalized to work different. Infinite speed as in actual movement speed probably should on the other hand.

What about momentum based speed?

Here are a couple of examples

Goku can propel his body with his Kamehameha giving him a speed boost.

Guts shoots his arm cannon so he has more momentum with his swing.

I don't know about the momentum based attacks one since we would also just have to go against logic.

In my opinion taking away the speed factor from the Kaioken is fine but if both opponents have their speed equalized there momentum based attacks should not since both of them can use it to there advantage.

Promestein said:
Seems absurd to take away things like fixed speed attacks (like guns and lightspeed lasers) and speed boosts.
This. Speed equalized already removes it from the concept of "who would win" enough. Equalizing it so much that a character can't even use their weapon/attack properly is just dumb. I've always seen it to be like, equalized proportionally.

Like Peak Human vs. The Flash would make the bullets MFTL+ or the Flash Peak Human level and the bullets stay Supersonic. However despite the fact the Flash's reflexes and footspeed are Peak Human he is still able to phase and use the IMP.

@Xcano and Prom If we don't equalize those kinds of speed then we would have to also specify low end and high end speeds (since it'll have an impact) making this more and more complicated

That's just even more unfair, rigging the battle to have the peak human in you example win via "blitz" techniques instead of being completely the same. The gun (or more often Kaio-Ken, Warpstar, Ruby's Semblance, Pikachu's Agility, Link's Pegasus Boots, etc.) could just use that and win almost automatically.

The real cal howard said:
That's just even more unfair, rigging the battle to have the peak human in you example win via "blitz" techniques instead of being completely the same. The gun (or more often Kaio-Ken, Warpstar, Ruby's Semblance, Pikachu's Agility, Link's Pegasus Boots, etc.) could just use that and win almost automatically.
Aimdodge, say the fight is in a place with cover.

The regulations are just there in order to be able to have any matchups whatsoever, without the results being predetermined. I also think that we cannot make them too complicated to be practical, despite a few logic holes in the most extreme cases.

Like for our tiering scale, it is impossible to create an easily understood system that is at once generic enough to be inclusive, and to cover every specific scenario.

Back