• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spike fights a fire dragon but it’s a Pokémon (GRACE)

Not really gonna work against someone who resists fire. And true, Charmander’s fire also wont do much to Spike, but he does have alternative options such as Dragon Breath or Scratch. Also, Charmander is 717 tons while Spike is 569. Not to mention how Scary Face can slow Spike down greatly while Growl lowers his attack.

Voting Charmander

Charmander's technically not a dragon, but whatever.

Charmander FRA.

Lance would be very upset by you saying that, he ended the discourse himself and yet here we are, still debating 'dragon pokemon'.

Does Spike's thing where he burns a letter to teleport it work on living beings? Cause that could be a BFR. Otherwise if it doesn't, Charmander seems to have most of the advantages here with move variety, stat changes, and probably being more combative naturally?

Lance would be very upset by you saying that, he ended the discourse himself and yet here we are, still debating 'dragon pokemon'.

Does Spike's thing where he burns a letter to teleport it work on living beings? Cause that could be a BFR. Otherwise if it doesn't, Charmander seems to have most of the advantages here with move variety, stat changes, and probably being more combative naturally?
No, it doesn’t. That only works on letters

Okay, full vote for Charmander then. AP advantage, move variety to avoid the fire resistance, having it's own fire resistance, stat manipulation options, dragon breath can even paralyze, smokescreen can blind Spike, ect.

Spike's only advantage might be that he's probably book-smarter? But not sure he'd be at all more skilled than a normal Charmander is in actual combat.

So, here's a thought that just occurred to me: After the Pegasi saw him coming and let go of the ice cloud, it started falling again for several seconds before Spike hit it with his fire, and when he did, it slowed down again. See where I'm going with this? His fire breath can hold a 4 million kilo ice cloud in the air.

So, what stops Spike from just chip damaging Charmander to death? The dude's only Class 25 and the second he gets hit, he's getting blown over. And considering Spike likes to spam his fire breath as a stream when attacking, Charmander ain't getting back up.

So, here's a thought that just occurred to me: After the Pegasi saw him coming and let go of the ice cloud, it started falling again for several seconds before Spike hit it with his fire, and when he did, it slowed down again. See where I'm going with this? His fire breath can hold a 4 million kilo ice cloud in the air.

So, what stops Spike from just chip damaging Charmander to death? The dude's only Class 25 and the second he gets hit, he's getting blown over. And considering Spike likes to spam his fire breath as a stream when attacking, Charmander ain't getting back up.
I mean, the match has already been concluded and added so it doesn’t matter now

If a new argument has been made that wasn't made before then it does matter. Context changes and I don't feel like making an entirely new matchup just to make an argument based on one singular point. The people who commented on this thread can just get the notification and respond.

If a new argument has been made that wasn't made before then it does matter. Context changes and I don't feel like making an entirely new matchup just to make an argument based on one singular point. The people who commented on this thread can just get the notification and respond.
The reason why charmander won was because of AP advantage, scary face or growl

Fire manipulation doesn’t work on both opponents, so he uses scratch or dragon breath

Neither opponent is immune to fire only resistant to it.
The reason why charmander won was because of AP advantage, scary face or growl
Yes, I know, and none of those things are usable when he's getting constantly knocked over via pure force.

The feat isn't listed for the key in question, which means using it in a VS thread isn't allowed until the profile is revised.

But even if it is, it's still an ability that Charmander resists so it's gonna be a lot of chipping away. That's a ton of time for an ability like Scary Face to slow Spike down and give Charmander the ability to get in again.

Plus SBA gives Charmander the range advantage in the first place, we only have 'higher' for Spike's fire breath, but ranged pokemon moves can trigger their effects for multiple meters to hundreds of meters out. Spike's likely already debuffed/damaged before fire breath is able to hit Charmander while Charmander can make use of Scary Face, Smokescreen, Dragonbreath, ect.

Neither opponent is immune to fire only resistant to it.

Yes, I know, and none of those things are usable when he's getting constantly knocked over via pure force.
Scary face, growl, and other status moves are likely totally useable while getting knocked around, they literally only take making faces and noises, and tend to have AOE ranges in the games

Scary face, growl, and other status moves are likely totally useable while getting knocked around, they literally only take making faces and noises, and tend to have AOE ranges in the games
How is he going to see Charmander making a face at him when his view of Charmander is obscured by fire?

Also, speed equal at hundreds of meters means an assload of time for Spike to move out of the way.

The move has been portrayed as firing outwards as a projectile before, Spike spamming means there's likely downtime where he stops to breath or get back in range from knocking Charmander away, and 100s of meters also means an assload of projectiles Spike needs to dodge before he's in range and that's neglecting the ones that have AOE effects.

Spike's not avoiding the debuffs, there's way too many opportunities for him to have his stats lowered, his speed lowered, get blinded, or even take ranged damage or getting paralyzed. To assume none of them connect and Spike can just run up that whole distance, avoid everything, spam, and get away with it is ridiculous.

...and we're still arguing a stat and feat that's not even recorded, which means we can't use it anyways.

Back