• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The comment sections

Lord Kavpeny said:
Actually...Kav brings up some incredibly good points, and as I said, I'm worried that disabling comments will lead to messageboard spamming, which could become equally i not more troublesome.

And the man himself makes his voice heard here.

Hmm. Well Kavpeny does have made some points about this. God sakes, i actually already imaged the annoyance of my wall being litered with asks or requests or whatnot about whatever.

Still, i wonder what the others have to say about this, Kavpeny.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, I think that this notion is worth trying out regarding whether or not it will decrease our workload. If it does not, it is easy enough to switch it back again.

Currently it is hard to navigate between what is relevant and all of the nonsense, which removing the comment sections would do something about, as we could easily spot and prioritise the content revision threads in the forums.

Also, with all due respect, I am the one who has mainly had to deal with the massive workload, so in this case I actually do know rather well what I am talking about. It is not reasonable that we should have to spend most of our time dealing with nonsense, and that said nonsense should take up several hours of work every day.

If we do not monitor the comment sections they easily get completely out of hand, so it isn't as easy as simply ignoring the problem away, and currently they constantly distract and drain our energies from dealing with the more important work (content revision threads, and monitoring that there is no vandalism).

Also, the sheer amount of current edits recurrently overflows the 1000 edit monitoring cap in 8-10 hours, which makes it hard to overview and deal with.

As Darkness said, most popular wikis disable the comment sections for practical reasons, and in addition, they also constitute a distracting eyesore for casual visitors.

Just a few things:

If this is going to work, we will need a few new official threads for requesting admin help. The ones I can think of are ones to, respectively, add new images, or fight results, to locked profile pages.

It would help to keep things more organised.

We would, of course, need to link to these threads in the front page.

Are there any other official help request topics that you would suggest that we create to make this work as well as possible?

Okay, so a special help section in the start page, with links to:

• The rule violation report thread
  • The calculation request thread
  • The render request thread
  • A profile image addition or replacement thread
  • A fight result addition thread
  • An all-purpose request thread
Does this sound reasonable?

Yes. There is no need to hurry.

Are there any further viewpoints regarding this, or should we try it out?

Hmmm, I'm OK with closing comments for certain pages. But against closing ALL pages from commenting.

Reason - with comments you can add some usefull info for page. Or clarify some info on the page. Without adding all of it to the article.

Well, I am the one who have had to do most of the practical work, and it was on the verge of giving me another burnout. We had to do something to make it more manageable.

However, as I linked in the above post, I have created various content revision threads, to simplify our work, and let us easily spot the important parts. In comparison, as it is, most of the article comments have been nonsense.

Well, I think this is a good idea to try.

But, I would have no problem shutting off comments for a couple weeks or a month, to determine how effective it is.

Sorry for the delay.

Thank you. I also think that it is worth a try.

Thanks for the support.

I always felt the page comment sections were better for casual conversation than the forums. I don't use the forums much. Now, whenever I want to start a casual discussion, I have to make a forum thread with a topic, and then monitor that thread to keep it from going off the rails, or just create a general "talk about anything" thread, which has no rails in the first place and quickly becomes an eyesore as well as becoming difficult for my laptop to load.

Well, as I mentioned, this is a tryout to see whether or not it will diminish and simplify the workloads of the more active staff members. As it is, it has turned nearly unmanageable, and constantly kept rising at a rapid rate. We had to do something at this point.

Was just wondering, how do you guys feel about no comments so far? I think it's going rather well actually more people in chat from it, which is always nice.

Let's wait and see for a few weeks.

Well I fully supported the idea in the past so I guess I still support it now. Although I wonder how this would effect the number of users and visitors we get...

It should probably not affect our visitor numbers at least. We get about 52000 clicks a day and over 110000 individual visitors a month.

In fact, I think that casual visitors will find the pages more streamlined and less distracting to read.

Antvasima said:
It should not affect our visitor numbers at least. We get about 52000 clicks a day and over 110000 individual visitors a month. In fact, I think that casual visitors will find the pages more streamlined and less distracting to read.
Point Taken. It does however seem that some of the users are displeased with disabling the comments. But not everything can go as one wants I hope things work out...

For example, the Marvel wiki has no comment sections, and it has 17 times as many visitors as we do.

SchutzenDunkelZiel1217 said:
Point Taken. It does however seem that some of the users are displeased with disabling the comments. But not everything can go as one wants I hope things work out...
So do I. There was just far too much work to handle, so I am hoping that this will put it more on a level with our actual resources.

Oh it seems I made a mistake then I guess it was on Marvel Answers where you're an admin.

But anyhow this thread is getting derailed so I'll just say let's hope everything works out in the end....

Back