• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"The First Rule Of Fight Club Is, You Do Not Talk About Fight Club" (Fight Club CRT)

Fight Club, one of my favorite movies ever. But, The Narrator's profile is really iffy. Let's change that

Part 1: The Novels Aren't Canon To The Movie
So my biggest problem with the profile currently is that it includes feats from both the movie and the novels, mainly the sequel comics, such as Fight Club 2 and 3.

Big problem, those are canon to the novel version of Fight Club, not the movie. If you want proof, here's the synopsis of the fight club 2 comic:

Ten years after the event of the first novel, Sebastian and Marla are married with a son. Sebastian works a do-nothing office job, at a military contractor company called "Rize or Die". Marla has grown tired of suburban life, resuming her habit of infiltrating support groups and ultimately resurrects Tyler Durden full time by replacing her husband's medication with placebos so she could have "an affair with Tyler". Tyler has other plans and burns down the family's house and apparently kills their son as a result.
So yeah, treating the comics as canon to the movies doesn't work, because it isn't. I know that the movie and the book are virtually identical, but that doesn't mean that we can just composite the character. Also, the comics are just not at all consistant with what was established in the movie with the way Tyler Durdan acts and what he even is.

If someone else wants to make a profile for the book version of Tyler Durdan & Sebastian than go ahead, but this CRT will be solely focusing on the movie Fight Club released in 1999. I've never read the og book, so I don't feel qualified to really go that in-depth on the character. But I've seen the movie many times and I think I'm more than qualified to tier him.

And before I start part 2, we should probably rename Narrator's profile to "The Narrator (Fight Club Movie)" and name the novel version something like "Sebastian (Fight Club)" as he actually has a name in the novels. Also, no, his name should not be put as "Jack" in the profile, there is no proof of his name actually being Jack outside of some headcannon, and saying that his name is Jack is borderline fan-ficiton. And from this point on, I'll be calling him Narrator and I'll call Tyler... take a guess what I'll call him

Part 2: The Seperation Of Narrator & Tyler Durdan
So currently, the profile has 2 keys, one for Narrator, and one for Tyler. Why?

Sure, Tyler is meant to be the better version of Narrator, but that's just in confidence. There's no real proof that Tyler is actually stronger than Narrator. Sure, we have that one fight near the end of the movie, but that's not Tyler actually beating up Narrator, that's Narrator beating up himself. Tyler doesn't actually physically exist, Narrator is just punching himself while hallucinating that Tyler is doing it like some acid trip gone horrifically wrong. We see this multiple times in the security footage that Tyler isn't there, Narrator is just throwing himself around.

And it's not like their power levels are that diffrent at all, they're litteraly the same person and would share pretty much the same feats. Everything Tyler did, he did in Narrator's body. And in the above clip, Narrator was still tanking full powered strikes from Tyler and was okay. And it's established in that same scene that pretty much anything Tyler can do, Narrator can do. The only diffrence is confidence. Unlike Narrator, Tyler is a free individual that has complete confidence in himself, and uses his intelligence and physical prowess to their fullest extent, wheras Narrator is supposed to be an unconfident corprate slave that doesn't. We can see this in their fight, Narrator is trying to run away and not fight back while Tyler is going fully on the offensive. There isn't that much diffrence in them physically, just a diffrence in mentality, aggression, and confidence in their own abilities. Hell, Narrator could harm Tyler in their first fight, and throughout the movie, there is nothing to suggest that Tyler holds back in his fights with Narrator, so they'd scale to each other anyways. This isn't like The Horde where there is an extremley obvious diffrence in strength between personalities, there's just a diffrence in confidence between Narrator & Tyler, and Tyler is more willing to use his full strength, but that doesn't mean that Narrator has a weaker body or anything.

The only diffrence that you could argue is intelligence, as Tyler seems to know far more than Narrator does. But:

1. Where would Tyler have gotten better intelligence? Tyler is apart of Narrator's mind, thus meaning that he would've had to have gotten that knowledge from Narrator. If Tyler has an intelligence feat, he did it using Narrator's brain, just with more confidence
  2. It's litteraly confirmed in the movie that if Tyler knows something than the Narrator knows something, thus making them equals in intelligence
So tl;dr: there really isn't much reason to seperate Tyler & Narrator into seperate keys. There isn't solid proof of Tyler being much stronger, Tyler used Narrators body, thus meaning that Narrators body is as strong as Tyler, and they can share information with each other, thus giving them pretty much equal intelligence. Their biggest diffrence is confidence and mindset, and in VS Matches we should probably specify whose mindset we're using as Tyler would likely approach a fight diffrently, but that's about it, and that can be cleared up in a note or something at the bottom of the page.

Now, time to actually get into this and talk about abilities.
Part 3: Abilities
So what abilities do these guys have? Let's list them out
  • Peak Human Physical Characteristics (Will explain why later in the stats section)
  • Genius Intelligence (Explained in stats section)
  • Multiple Selves (Narrator has the definition of DID, and that's all Tyler Durdan is. Another personality)
  • Martial Arts (Both the Narrator & Tyler have shown impressive fighting skill, though I couldn't tell you exact styles they use)
  • Social Influencing (Tyler was capable of creating Project Mayhem, a large-scale cult that spread throughout the country full of followers that are willing to bend to Tyler's every request and whim, even those that require mass destruction. He also successfully threatened a politician into stopping his search for project mayhem and convinced people that he was harboring deadly diseases, testicular cancer, ect through the support groups. He also blackmailed his boss into giving him weekly paychecks and convinced the guards that his boss had assulted him and got the police off of his tail for the exploded apartment through a single phone call)
  • High Pain Tolerance (Both Narrator & Tyler have feats of laughing off and fighting through immense amounts of pain, such as Tyler's encounter with Lou and Narrator's self-enduced beating to frame his boss & shooting himself in the cheek. Hell, one of the cult members even said "how the **** is he still standing?" after seeing his gunshot wound to the cheek)
  • Preperation & Explosion Manipulation (Through prep time, Tyler can make explosives)
That's what I think he should have. But what about his other abilities that are on his profile?
  • Hive Mind: That's a thing in the novels/comics, not the movie
  • Non-Physical Interaction: Just because someone with schizophrenia is the only person that can see their own hallucinations doesn't mean that they have non-physical interaction. Also, that's not how that ability works.
  • Weapon Mastery: He shoots a gun like, once in the movie and misses. Real weapon master right there
  • Berserk Mode: Only seen in the novels
  • Invulnerability: First, that would be a durability feat. Second, Tyler doesn't physically exist. He was uneffected by the bullet because there was no body to be effected. Narrator was just shooting the air
  • Immortality: Novel feat
  • Fear Inducing Aura: I don't remember this ever happening in the movies so I'm guessing novel feat
  • Plot Manipulation: Novel feat
That's about it for his abilities

Part 4: Stats
AP/Durability:
I think you can make a reasonable arguement for 9-C. Narrator could turn Jared Letos face into grilled pizza and beat the absolute shit out of himself multiple times to the point of where he's badly bleeding. Narrator has tanked being slammed through a glass table and glass shelves, glass windows, car crashes with no/minimum injuries (depends on if you think Narrator is possessing himself or if Tyler is, that scene is so confusing ngl), falling down flights of stairs, and beatings from other fight club members such as Robert, who is a former bodybuilder. And again, Narrator can harm himself, so he'd scale to all of that

With all this, I think a 9-C rating is justifyable. If not, then definetly high Athlete level or something

Speed:
There is like, no notable speed feats in the movie. There is pretty much nothing to suggest more than Average - Athletic human

LS:
Narrator can send himself flying, even with just one hand/punch. Edward Norton, Narrator's actor, weighs 155 lbs, or 70.3 kg. Throwing himself around like that should be good support for Above Average Human, as he can clearly throw his own weight great distances

Stamina:
I'm not sure if "Can win brutal fights" is a great stamina feat, and it definetly doesn't support peak human stamina. Athletic human stamina, maybe. But, both Tyler and Narrator can fight through plenty of pain and act completely normal afterwards, so Athletic Human - Peak Human stamina should work just fine

Intelligence:
Narrator/Tyler is pretty clearly a genius. He was implied to have graduated with a degree in chemistry and has great knowledge on chemistry, such as turning human fat into soap and turning the soap into explosives as well as other general chemistry knowledge such as with the chemical burn scene. He made improvised dynamite that exploded his apartment and came up with all of the planning and ideas for project mayhem, with many of them being extremly introcet and complex plans. He also created the project mayhem cult, started fight club, has shown great SI skill, and is knowledgable in philosophy. If not genius, then deffinetly high gifted or something

Part 5: Explosives
Throughout the movie, Narrator/Tyler makes multiple explosives. Why aren't the explosives AP on the page? We could have stats for him with prep time.

The calculation for this is easy. Let's do it now!

"WOAH! Okay, you're now firing a gun at your imaginary friend... NEAR 400 GALLONS OF NITROGLYCERINE!"

Nitroglycerin weights 1.6 g/cc

400 gallons = 1,514,160 cm^3

1,514,160 * 1.6 = 2,422,656 grams of Nitroglycerine going off

Nitroglycerine releases 6,230 Joules of energy per gram of the stuff

2,422,656 * 6,230 = 15,093,146,880 Joules, or 3.61 Tons of TnT (Large Building level)

Eat your heart out Walter White, you got nothing on Tyler's explosives

Part 6: TL;DR

So to summarize everything:
Tyler & Narrator shouldn't get seperate keys
Tyler & Narrator are 9-C with Above Average Human LS, Average Human - Athletic Human Speed, Athletic Human - Peak Human Stamina, and Genius Intelligence
They can make High 8-C explosives with prep time
They have Multiple Personalities, Martial Arts, Social Influencing, High Pain Tolerances, and Explosions with Prep Time
The novel/comic version needs its own profile seperate from the movie version, as those novels aren't canon to the movie

Ok, I did NOT know we had fight club profiles. Saying that, i should have expected that tho, since it’s basically the greatest movie of all time.

Agree

After a more in-depth look, the only thing I don’t really agree with is combining the narrator and Tyler together.

They’re basically the same person, yeah, but Tyler would kind of be a huge hinderance to the narrator in a VS battle, and might make matches sorta of unfair since he’ll beat himself up, which is the main reason why they aren’t conjoined I think, since tyler is way different, as he’s what the narrator wishes he could be. Tyler also clearly has way different abilities from the narrator too, so I feel like having Tyler in a VS battle would be like the opponent trying to find a way to overcome this seemingly invincible and better-in-every-way foe just as the narrator did in the movie, which I think would be kinda cool to see.

After a more in-depth look, the only thing I don’t really agree with is combining the narrator and Tyler together.

They’re basically the same person, yeah, but Tyler would kind of be a huge hinderance to the narrator in a VS battle, and might make matches sorta of unfair since he’ll beat himself up, which is the main reason why they aren’t conjoined I think, since tyler is way different, as he’s what the narrator wishes he could be. Tyler also clearly has way different abilities from the narrator too, so I feel like having Tyler in a VS battle would be like the opponent trying to find a way to overcome this seemingly invincible and better-in-every-way foe just as the narrator did in the movie, which I think would be kinda cool to see.
Tyler isn't an actual invincible ghost, he's a split personality. He's another personality that Narrator enters and sometimes talks with due to Narrator hallucinating, but they share the same body. And in most of Narrators fights with people outside of Tyler, such as with Blondie, the officers in the interrogation room, ect, Tyler isn't constantly interupting him, because Tyler doesn't exist, he's just another personality inside of Narrators mind and isn't constantly forcing Narrator to fight him all hours of the day. Tyler isn't just what the narrator wishes he could be, he IS the narrator, just more confident, free, heterosexual, and "masculine". He is what the narrator wishes he was, but that doesn't mean that he has diffrent AP or hacks or anything that would actually justify a seperate key. We don't seperate Steven, Marc, and Jake into diffrent keys on the Moon Knight profile, and this is an extremley simular situation.

And as for the extra abilities Tyler has, those abilities only exist inside of Narrators mind. Tyler can't attack anyone else but Narrator unless he's in active control of Narrator's body. When he's controlling Narrator's body, they have virtually the exact same abilities. Tyler isn't actually teleporting around and being invincible while using Narrator's body. Specifying if we're using Narrator's mentality or Tyler's mentality is important, as both would approach a fight vastly diffrently, but both of them wouldn't get other keys. I also already debunked the whole "invincibility" idea, because Tyler doesn't have a physical body. He's inside of Narrators mind. Shooting at a hallucination doesn't give the hallucination invunerability, it makes it a hallucination

Tyler isn't an actual invincible ghost, he's a split personality. He's another personality that Narrator enters and sometimes talks with due to Narrator hallucinating, but they share the same body. And in most of Narrators fights with people outside of Tyler, such as with Blondie, the officers in the interrogation room, ect, Tyler isn't constantly interupting him, because Tyler doesn't exist, he's just another personality inside of Narrators mind and isn't constantly forcing Narrator to fight him all hours of the day. Tyler isn't just what the narrator wishes he could be, he IS the narrator, just more confident, free, heterosexual, and "masculine". He is what the narrator wishes he was, but that doesn't mean that he has diffrent AP or hacks or anything that would actually justify a seperate key. We don't seperate Steven, Marc, and Jake into diffrent keys on the Moon Knight profile, and this is an extremley simular situation.

And as for the extra abilities Tyler has, those abilities only exist inside of Narrators mind. Tyler can't attack anyone else but Narrator unless he's in active control of Narrator's body. When he's controlling Narrator's body, they have virtually the exact same abilities. Tyler isn't actually teleporting around and being invincible while using Narrator's body. Specifying if we're using Narrator's mentality or Tyler's mentality is important, as both would approach a fight vastly diffrently, but both of them wouldn't get other keys. I also already debunked the whole "invincibility" idea, because Tyler doesn't have a physical body. He's inside of Narrators mind. Shooting at a hallucination doesn't give the hallucination invunerability, it makes it a hallucination
Yeah, that’s fair, but I still think we should specify whether it’s the narrator himself, or Tyler inside the mind of another character altogether in a Vs thread, since I don’t think he can be just ignored, right? You said so yourself that we can use the narrator, AKA, an actual person, or Tyler as a hallucination (Presumably), which can also be cleared up in a note.

Yeah, that’s fair, but I still think we should specify whether it’s the narrator himself, or Tyler inside the mind of another character altogether in a Vs thread, since I don’t think he can be just ignored, right? You said so yourself that we can use the narrator, AKA, an actual person, or Tyler as a hallucination (Presumably), which can also be cleared up in a note.
Idk if you can use the actual hallucination in a fight. Transfering someone's mental illness into another fictional character, although an interesting concept, isn't how movie Tyler Durdan works.

Also, I was talking about using their personalities in the matches. Not Tyler as an actual hallucination. In VS matches, we can specify if Narrator is in control of his body or if Tyler Durden is. I don't think we can use hallucination Tyler in a match as that's not really how the character works. But, it is a very interesting concept, I just don't know if that would actually be allowed in a VS thread or if that should be saved for fun & games

First Point, Canon Part.
I don't really know if it's in the canon continuity, but as far as i know Chuck Palahniuk in the comics (Fight Club 2) says that he intended to end the series on Tyler ending the world (literally), but couldn't make it in the movies... so he do it, in the comics (This happens when Chuck talking to Tyler in the Real World, he already have the script in mind)... so it's up to you if it's canon or not

Second Point, Statistic Differences.
Tyler is much so superior in statistic than Narrator... as in Fight Clubs 2 he literally cause a Chaos while Narrator stuck in a cave... he even survived non injured by the Chaos he cause, shown later in the end when Chuck Palahniuk gets a complain of the ending

Third Point, Abilities.
There's much more ability that needs to be added, but i couldn't have the time to do so.
What i wanted to add:
• Reality Warping & Chaos Manipulation (He sees the world as a game, that he can control and destroy he wants by his only thoughts... this is proven to be true btw, as he did destroy the world by his power in the ending)
• Plot Manipulation/Fate Manipulation (He can change any scenarios he wants, this shown when he invite Narrator to the Branch in Fight Club 2 near the RAGNAROK... he can change the narrative text by Chuck, and also forwarding the plot)
• Time Travel (He can travels to the future where the world gets destroyed by him... and idk about this one, but he somehow can travel back into Adam & Eve Era where he become The Serpent in Fight Club 2)
• Abstract Existence 1 (He exist as an archetypes ideas, this mentioned so many times in FC2 & FC3)
• etc...

Fourth Point, Separation.
They are a separate sentient being, it is answered in Fight Club 3 where Tyler is not just some Parasytes Infection but more of as an ideas, much complex ideas that God in Paradise has sent into... this is why people on earth is having the same problem as Narrator (It's not only Narrator who have Tyler Durden on them), infact, they used Tyler to achive their desire.

And before I start part 2, we should probably rename Narrator's profile to "The Narrator (Fight Club Movie)" and name the novel version something like "Sebastian (Fight Club)" as he actually has a name in the novels. Also, no, his name should not be put as "Jack" in the profile, there is no proof of his name actually being Jack outside of some headcannon, and saying that his name is Jack is borderline fan-ficiton. And from this point on, I'll be calling him Narrator and I'll call Tyler... take a guess what I'll call him
The Narrator have so many names due to his identity crisis disease, in which he calls himself as Baltazhar in Fight Club 3... i kinda forgot where get named as Jack tho, but i'm pretty sure it's not headcannon

First Point, Canon Part.
I don't really know if it's in the canon continuity, but as far as i know Chuck Palahniuk in the comics (Fight Club 2) says that he intended to end the series on Tyler ending the world (literally), but couldn't make it in the movies... so he do it, in the comics (This happens when Chuck talking to Tyler in the Real World, he already have the script in mind)... so it's up to you if it's canon or not
I don't really think that you can count it as canon to the movies. As stated by Chuck himself:
"Because 20th Century-Fox created the convention of calling the protagonist Jack, I'm calling him Cornelius"
That, to me, screams that he wanted to seperate the comics from the movie. Also, could you link a scan to the page where he said "yeah I was going to make it into a movie but couldn't"

Virtually every other source I could find (The Fight Club wiki, the announcement of Fight Club 2 at Free Comic Book Day re-telling the novels story and not the movies, the fact that Sebastian was at a mental hospital, which happens in the novels but not the movies), makes me believe that it's closer connected to the novels and not the movie, so for the movie profile (which this whole CRT is about) he shouldn't have feats from the comics

Also, could you link a scan to the page where he said "yeah I was going to make it into a movie but couldn't"
I don't save it, it's in Fight Club 2 when Chuck bring his fiction-work to the Real World.

Oh yeah, the part about “destroying the world” is not right, it's actually Chuck wants Marla to get pregnant with Tyler kids and make her goes abortion after that and couldn't make it to the movies so he decide to do it in comics... and obviously Tyler didn't like this ideas and k*ll him before this script is applied

There is so many details that can make the comics canon, for example:
Chuck got a massive backlash (narrative story) when he make that ending... Implying that the Tyler they sees in the comic is the same Tyler as to the movies.

But idk, like i said earlier
It's up to you

Edit: damn i tried so hard to link the comic here, but i can't

Last edited:
If someone else wants to make a profile for the book version of Tyler Durdan & Sebastian than go ahead, but this CRT will be solely focusing on the movie Fight Club released in 1999. I've never read the og book, so I don't feel qualified to really go that in-depth on the character. But I've seen the movie many times and I think I'm more than qualified to tier him.
Alright, since the verse isn't that big I'm fine with just making it about the movie version.
So tl;dr: there really isn't much reason to seperate Tyler & Narrator into seperate keys. There isn't solid proof of Tyler being much stronger, Tyler used Narrators body, thus meaning that Narrators body is as strong as Tyler, and they can share information with each other, thus giving them pretty much equal intelligence. Their biggest diffrence is confidence and mindset, and in VS Matches we should probably specify whose mindset we're using as Tyler would likely approach a fight diffrently, but that's about it, and that can be cleared up in a note or something at the bottom of the page.
I'm fine with this. Its two personalities for the same person, but that doesn't require a different power set. It's mostly emotional intelligence and selective memories.
  • Hive Mind: That's a thing in the novels/comics, not the movie
I'm fine with removing that
  • Non-Physical Interaction: Just because someone with schizophrenia is the only person that can see their own hallucinations doesn't mean that they have non-physical interaction. Also, that's not how that ability works.
Yeah that's not NPI at all
  • Weapon Mastery: He shoots a gun like, once in the movie and misses. Real weapon master right there
Tbf this was probably given when weapon mastery's sole requirement was "Can be argued as better than the average person" rather than "Is skilled in using it". But yeah it should be removed.
  • Berserk Mode: Only seen in the novels
Fine with removing
  • Invulnerability: First, that would be a durability feat. Second, Tyler doesn't physically exist. He was uneffected by the bullet because there was no body to be effected. Narrator was just shooting the air
Yeah this isn't invulnerability. At all
  • Immortality: Novel feat
It would also need a better justification. Since it could just be the cult of Tyler rather than the entity known as Tyler
  • Fear Inducing Aura: I don't remember this ever happening in the movies so I'm guessing novel feat
Yeah that's not a movie feat. Though I'm not sure if that even qualifies for fear manipulation either
  • Plot Manipulation: Novel feat
Fine with removing it
Part 4: Stats
Fine with the suggested changes
Throughout the movie, Narrator/Tyler makes multiple explosives. Why aren't the explosives AP on the page? We could have stats for him with prep time.
You can but it needs to be written like the Novel Jason page
Durability: Wall level (Survived a point blank 40mm grenade explosion[1] which typically contains 32 grams of Composition B which would yield 178 kilojoules
So maybe something like
Large Building level with prep (Made 400 gallons of Nitroglycerin, which equates to 2,422.656 kilograms of Nitroclycerin or 15 Gigajoules of energy. Destroyed multiple skyscrapers when the vans were detonated)
It still needs work but you get the idea.
Edit: damn i tried so hard to link the comic here, but i can't
Because that's a quasi-legal aggregator site that the forum blocks. Probably.

Yeah. Well presumably the comic canon of the story by the original author.
I don't see why you can't, so long as the scaling is accurate

I'd reccomend making the profile in a sandbox first and then sharing it here so that we can look at it before you publish it
I've made it, take a look (I'm sorry if its confusing, because my english is just that sucks)

Calculations being made would be a better justification and I can do that if you give me some time.
Appreciate it🙏

I already post the sandbox as a regular page
If your calculation is accepted... you can just edit it there

Appreciate it🙏

I already post the sandbox as a regular page
If your calculation is accepted... you can just edit it there
The english here really needs some updating...

Back