• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Problem with Storm/Clouds Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well

Yeah I'm gonna have to figure out how all this math translates to in English and update all my stuff

RebubleUselet said:
I mean... if High 7-A went to Low 6-B, then RWBY will probably be back to 7-B methinks
No, it is unafected.

And if we aolied the horizon stuff it would lead to an absolute outlier (it already is but lets ignore that)

okay but how is someone having a 5th of the power of an ancient and powerful wizard an outlier when the only time said maidens get hurt their powers aren't enabled

legit out of left field

Also yes Kal

Yeah.

Though I feel that somewhat of a multiplier for each cloud could be made to not remake all calcs.

But I'm not following the math anymore than DMUA.

It's not a multiplicative matter

It's a need for completely recalculating everything so it lines up with the new horizon determining methods

Yes, but as far as I understand the difference mostly stays the same between each. How high the cloud is, which leads to how much more mass it has.

It's more complex than that.

If you refer to the image I posted above, we used to calculate BH, now we will calculate AB.

It can't really use a single multiplier because both the observer's height and the cloud height affect the result

No.

We need to rewrite the calc page and add values for cloud height, be patient

Well, I hope I learn how to do the new method, Fairy Tail has a Horizon Storm Calc, so I'll be happy when the new method comes out

I mean

I've never really played any games other then X but my bro Ed is into them apparently so by association I kinda know stuff

DMUA said:
I mean

I've never really played any games other then X but my bro Ed is into them apparently so by association I kinda know stuff
That's actually pretty much how I know Prototype.

Yes. Because we will no longer use distance to horizon as radius of storm but something much bigger than it.

Just to know, Is the method for scaling the volume of clouds changing as well? As far as I am aware, Cylinder Volume with radius of storm + cloud height is the standard to measure it.

Jobbo said:
It's changing if we go with DontTalk's method.
This is not gonna be much diffirent because the curvature is not that significant even at that distance. In fast this may leed to even a greater inaccuracy

I heavily disagree with measuring volume of clouds as a spherical cap because:

1. The method was clearly only suggested to make the results lower than they would be, in order to avoid characters being rated too high or have their feat regarded as an outlier.

2. Spherical cap only works with a straight line as a base, clouds extend far enough to where earth's curvature is noticeable and as such you will end up not including the full volume of the clouds or vastly inflating it depending on which altitude you pick to draw the line of the base

3. It overcomplicates a simple and intuitive process that requires only the radius and the average height of a cloud to figure out.

Actually volume as a spherical cap supposed to get a higher results but I can agree with you overall

Except it isn't actually a spherical cap, it's just taking two spherical sectors and using the difference as the volume which is more accurate than using a cylinder.

Tbf almost nothing changes.

It looks like a notable difference looking at something like this, but that's only because the observer and the clouds are several hundreds of kilometres above the ground.

If it was drawn according to the actual proportions, it would be more clear that the difference between the cylinder and the spherical cap is almost null.

There are some calcs that would have their cloud distance bumped up to the hundreds of kilometers, perhaps more. At that point not accounting for the curvature results in a difference of several percent.

Or rather, why not just use whatever formula you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back