• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Ultimate Garfield Revision Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so lets begin. Attack Potency:

Garfield eats part of a wall.

Garfield does this to an ice cream truck.

Garfield destroys the house by smashing a window.

Takes this. Nothing too cool.

Hurls a TV at Jon.

Haxes from SpelunkyDunkey

Retractable Claws, Adhesivity (Able to stay on ceilings, walls and other objects with claws.),

Possible Fear Manipulation (By bringing out his claws, able to scare anyone he points them towards . Also works on inanimate objects and sources of light. ),

Non-Physical Interaction (Able to touch ghosts. Held the ghost of a wrapped-up newspaper and used it against the ghost of a spider he swatted. ),

Superhuman Digestion (Ate an entire TV and was completely fine. ),

Hammerspace (Shown here. ),

Able to talk and listen to inanimate objects,

Transformation (During Halloween, Garfield transforms into a Mr Hyde version of himself. )

Now, onto the Haxes discussed in the other things.

Dream Manipulation as he can make his own Nightmare Monsters haunt other people

Garfield regenerated from this. Given how there is visually nothing left of Garfield, we can place this as "At least Mid-High, likely High, Potentially Low-Godly" Regenerationn.

Mind Manipulation as he can manipulate the thoughts of Joh

Immesurable speed since he ran back in time to get a box of cookies

However, Immesurable speed would probably be more like "At most Immesurable speed" to be honest. However, I believe the feat is Immesurable since Garfield doesn't show any time travel Hax as far as I'm aware of.

So, that's about it for now. I better put this here so that the general discussion board doesn't get filled up.

To be honest, the immeasurable speed is more toonforce reality warping. I feel like that's much more fair, since it's literally a gag feat.

Even if it was done via toon force, that doesn't make it any less valid. I would say that we should honestly just give Garfield a Varies for his speed with Immeasurable as the high end of the range

I don't know really. It might just be fourth wall breaking since he's just walking between panels. Many characters can travel between panels and that isn't shown as immeasurable speed.

"Potentially Low-Godly" for Regenerationn isn't necessary, you just need the "At least Mid-High, likely High" part. You would need to demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that it Garfield was completely obliterated and that his parts weren't simply propelled off-panel to justify "Potentially Low-Godly" without it being a borderline wank-ish interpretation.

It's just honestly more reasonable to assume that the force of his explosion scattered his tiny giblets, since that's what would happen in a real high-energy explosion. And the reason why those giblets aren't shown on panel is because that's definitely too dark for a newspaper comic strip about a mostly unfunny fat cat.

Jaften said:
"Potentially Low-Godly" for Regenerationn isn't necessary, you just need the "At least Mid-High, likely High" part. You would need to demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that it Garfield was completely obliterated and that his parts weren't simply propelled off-panel to justify "Potentially Low-Godly" without it being a borderline wank-ish interpretation.
Alright, that makes sense.

SpelunkyDunkey said:
I don't know really. It might just be fourth wall breaking since he's just walking between panels. Many characters can travel between panels and that isn't shown as immeasurable speed.
It might, but in my opinion it would have to be far more blunt in order for it to be fourth wall breaking. Like if the people were talking to themselves in the other panel before they move panels, or something like that.

Iapitus The Impaler said:
Even if it was done via toon force, that doesn't make it any less valid. I would say that we should honestly just give Garfield a Varies for his speed with Immeasurable as the high end of the range
Basically, that would be movement via reality warping hax (AKA, messing with the fact that a comic is formatted in sequential panels in this case in order to "go back in time"), so it's definitely not congruent with normal movement.

Bill With A Mouth Solos said:
It might, but in my opinion it would have to be far more blunt in order for it to be fourth wall breaking. Like if the people were talking to themselves in the other panel before they move panels, or something like that.
Have you read Garfield? It breaks the fourth wall all the time. In fact, the very comic this feat is taken from features John breaking the fourth wall to talk to the audience about how his "clever" meta-knowledge allowed him to hide the cookies from Garfield.

Well, the pole vault shown in Garfield's hand also travelled across panels. It's just that the border obscures some of it, making it appear that Garfield has immeasurable speed.

Overall, it's fair to assume Garfield was breaking the fourth wall. Let's just keep him at FTL until we get a clear answer.

Jaften said:
Have you read Garfield? It breaks the fourth wall all the time. In fact, the very comic this feat is taken from features John breaking the fourth wall to talk to the audience about how his "clever" meta-knowledge allowed him to hide the cookies from Garfield.
I wasn't arguring that Garfield doesn't break the fourth wall. I'm saying that the feat likely isn't Fourth Wall Awareness.

SpelunkyDunkey said:
Overall, it's fair to assume Garfield was breaking the fourth wall. Let's just keep him at FTL until we get a clear answer.
I honestly don't even agree with the FTL rating, given that in his "outrunning the speed of dark" he actually could have just be outrunning the "lack of electrons" in the light's wiring.

I think that "At least Relativistic+" is a more reasonable conclusion to make for a low-end assumption, since it's unclear if he's outrunning the last photons from the light or the last electrons going to the light.

SpelunkyDunkey said:
Well, the pole vault shown in Garfield's hand also travelled across panels. It's just that the border obscures some of it, making it appear that Garfield has immeasurable speed.
Um... Because Garfield is moving it? How does that disprove anything?

Since the current "immeasurable" feat has us divided in opinion as to whether it is meta toon force or legit speed, I propose we leave it as "potentially immeasurable" for now until the time we have further evidence that can resolve this issue.

That would make sense.

So, so far the only thing that we need to change is "At least Mid-High, likely High" Regenerationn and Potentially Immesurable Speed.

True. Let's bring something else up:

Characters like Wile E Coyote and other comic characters have been travelling in between panels for years and haven't been classified as having immeasurable speed. The only thing different with the Garfield feat is just that the border's in the way.

Garfield might not be displaying fourth wall awareness, but it's a plausible bet.

SpelunkyDunkey said:
True. Let's bring something else up:
Characters like Wile E Coyote and other comic characters have been travelling in between panels for years and haven't been classified as having immeasurable speed. The only thing different with the Garfield feat is just that the border's in the way.

Garfield might not be displaying fourth wall awareness, but it's a plausible bet.
True, so that's why Garfield should probably be "Possibly Immesurable Speed".

Christian Higdon said:
I'm fine with the abilities except Low-Godly. That'll need discussing.
To be honest, it's unprovable without in-universe or author statements saying that literal no physical part of Garfield remained after the explosion. The former is impossible due to the one-off nature of the comics, and the latter... well if you want to message Jim Davis and ask him about this comic feel free to do so, but I have the distinct impression that he probably won't answer such a question.

Christian Higdon said:
Just saying. I dunno if it's provable, but it gives him some sort of regen.
It's unprovable given the current evidence in a single seven-panel comic strip, without word of god anyways.

...If someone does ask Jim Davis about this comic, make sure to use specific wording. "Is there nothing left of him" means something different colloquially than it does scientifically.

To be honest Garfield is a character that spans across so many different series, that it makes more sense to be composite. But, I guess a composite key would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back