• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Discussion Thread 3 ⌈Eternal Fantasy Edition⌋

Got a whole lot of dosh recently, so I'll try to help out with indexing the written works since it turns out they're pretty cheap here. Has nobody managed to find that missing WaHH episode yet?
No, I should try to look for that when I get the chance. But the written works are uh, well,
image.png

FS only has a question mark since I feel like I could argue for something really funny with just a little more context. CDS and LE are ongoing, CiLR has a partly untranslated website, EaLND's translation is a little fucked, and SaBND has like one untranslated chapter.

Good news: Genso Narratograph, as well as an issue of Comptiq covering the game accompanied by an interview with the author, are now available for purchase.

Bad news: Cant buy digital copies with Paypal, and international shipping costs are absurdly high.

Since I'm gonna eventually be redoing the verse page, does anyone have any good official art that we could use as the main image? The current one is pretty outdated, and I haven't found any official art that really captures the feel of the series as a whole.

When you are the one who uploaded almost every Hisami fanarts there lmao
But man the lack of 2hu fans in zerochan nowadays saddened me, like Yuuma is arguably very popular yet she only has 20+ fanarts in zerochan

When you are the one who uploaded almost every Hisami fanarts there lmao
But man the lack of 2hu fans in zerochan nowadays saddened me, like Yuuma is arguably very popular yet she only has 20+ fanarts in zerochan
Nearly all the Touhou artists became Blue Archive artists and it seems Touhou has been on a popularity decline over the years. My guess is that Touhou fans switched fandoms. I don't know to which one exactly.

Nearly all the Touhou artists became Blue Archive artists and it seems Touhou has been on a popularity decline over the years. My guess is that Touhou fans switched fandoms. I don't know to which one exactly.

From what I'm seeing, probably the same as the Artists. I've noticed a LOT of Touhou fans within the Blue Archive subreddit at least. (Me included). It was surprising at first.

From what I'm seeing, probably the same as the Artists. I've noticed a LOT of Touhou fans within the Blue Archive subreddit at least. (Me included). It was surprising at first.
It makes sense. Both Touhou and Blue Archive are series where a cast of 99% women do cute things, adorable slice of life things.

Touhou also focuses on the backstories and daily life of the characters, does Blue Archive do the same? I haven't played it.

That appeals a lot to shippers and people who want lot's of waifus which I assume are most of the Blue Archive fans, just like Touhou, right?

"Man Kantai Collection is pretty popular and it seems like a lot of Touhou artists are migrating towards it. Is Touhou doomed?"
"Man Azur Lane is pretty popular and it seems like a lot of Touhou artists are migrating towards it. Is Touhou doomed?"
"Man Blue Archive is pretty popular and it seems like a lot of Touhou artists are migrating towards it. Is Touhou doomed?"
image.png

It makes sense. Both Touhou and Blue Archive are series where a cast of 99% women do cute things, adorable slice of life things.

Pretty much, yeah-

Touhou also focuses on the backstories and daily life of the characters, does Blue Archive do the same? I haven't played it.

Heavily so. It's not super backstory heavy, but it does put the characters first and foremost and really tries fleshing them out. Lot of stories involving them either through main story, events, side stories, etc. Many of Touhou fans feel the same exact way towards the BA cast as they do with the Touhou cast (me included).

That appeals a lot to shippers and people who want lot's of waifus which I assume are most of the Blue Archive fans, just like Touhou, right?

Sort of? Shipping doesn't actually seem very popular in the subreddit but I imagine it's popular outside of it. It's mostly because the BA cast are a lot more fleshed out than the typical gacha characters. There's a lot of overlap between the two fanbases. It even shares the power of "Every character has a loyal following, even if small".

BA made me tear up quite a lot, as much as I hate to admit that

Heavily so. It's not super backstory heavy, but it does put the characters first and foremost and really tries fleshing them out. Lot of stories involving them either through main story, events, side stories, etc. Many of Touhou fans feel the same exact way towards the BA cast as they do with the Touhou cast (me included).
Interesting, I should have known, specially when what I played Blue Archive, the little of what I played made me realize the game is basically a light novel with how many stories, cutscenes and side stories it has.
Sort of? Shipping doesn't actually seem very popular in the subreddit but I imagine it's popular outside of it. It's mostly because the BA cast are a lot more fleshed out than the typical gacha characters. There's a lot of overlap between the two fanbases. It even shares the power of "Every character has a loyal following, even if small".

BA made me tear up quite a lot, as much as I hate to admit that
My guess is that Blue Archive doesn't have a lot of shipping because the fanbase has more straight men than lesbians. An observation I made is that straight men in fandoms tend to ship girls with faceless self insert characters or the few men there are or just draw solo art of them while lesbians tend to ship girls between each other.
Maybe it's due to the intended demographic? Blue Archive is a shonen, right? Maybe it's because it lacks yuribaiting and yuri? I'm not sure.

My guess is that Blue Archive doesn't have a lot of shipping because the fanbase has more straight men than lesbians. An observation I made is that straight men in fandoms tend to ship girls with faceless self insert characters or the few men there are or just draw solo art of them while lesbians tend to ship girls between each other.
Maybe it's due to the intended demographic? Blue Archive is a shonen, right? Maybe it's because it lacks yuribaiting and yuri? I'm not sure.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm pretty sure that there's more to a series' popularity than just the number of fan art that exists about it. And part of the reason why Touhou seems to be in decline is just that the new games by ZUN just don't seem to be as impactful as they used to. So far anyway since Touhou looks to be entering a new phase now that TH 14-19 are done. If he makes a good game in 2025, which he probably would, then it would look better.

Then again, Touhou has grown far beyond the games themselves at this point and it has been around for 27 years so nobody's leaving just yet regardless.

Know what.
I'm pretty sure that there's more to a series' popularity than just the number of fan art that exists about it. And part of the reason why Touhou seems to be in decline is just that the new games by ZUN just don't seem to be as impactful as they used to. So far anyway since Touhou looks to be entering a new phase now that TH 14-19 are done. If he makes a good game in 2025, which he probably would, then it would look better.

Then again, Touhou has grown far beyond the games themselves at this point and it has been around for 27 years so nobody's leaving just yet regardless.
Fair enough, I'm mostly saying so because I saw several artists stop drawing Touhou and start drawing Blue Archive, some of my friends say something something "Touhou IS OVER, THE Touhou HAS FALLEN" and because I'm seeing a lot of more art of the usual suspects and usual characters rather than the new ones.

Interesting, I should have known, specially when what I played Blue Archive, the little of what I played made me realize the game is basically a light novel with how many stories, cutscenes and side stories it has.

Yeah. Playing through the main story, I did notice long stretches of time between gameplay and reading. BA is more story-focused. It's a little similar to the Touhou Mangas than the Touhou games, funny enough.

Uh... I don't know. I do notice characters get shipped with Sensei (the only legitimate "male" character) the most as it is very clear nearly every girl likes them. (Despite the feelings not being mutual).

Female Sensei is a thing in the Fandom and she also gets shipped with the girls. Some girls do get shipped with each other, and there does exist moments in the game itself that seems a bit like the game sprinkling some Yuri into the mix.

But if you love the Touhou cast and moments between them. Chances are you'll get the same feeling with the BA cast.

Well you can argue that LoLK and WBaWC are pretty impactful as they were back in the days, and maybe TH17.5 as well
TH19 is close to it if not because of the kusoge level of gameplay lmao (tho kusoge can be a good thing so i'm not contested it much lel)

That appeals a lot to shippers and people who want lot's of waifus which I assume are most of the Blue Archive fans, just like Touhou, right
Uh... I don't know. I do notice characters get shipped with Sensei (the only legitimate "male" character) the most as it is very clear nearly every girl likes them. (Despite the feelings not being mutual).

Female Sensei is a thing in the Fandom and she also gets shipped with the girls. Some girls do get shipped with each other, and there does exist moments in the game itself that seems a bit like the game sprinkling some Yuri into the mix.

But if you love the Touhou cast and moments between them. Chances are you'll get the same feeling with the BA cast.
As a degenerate myself, i can fathom that majority of BA fanbase are more focusing on their sex appeal and horniness over shipping at all, like where did that "cunny" meme bs came from if not from BA fanbase lel

And i recall that BA wasn't that much of horniness until Asuna and Karin came, and that's where the series lean towards to nowadays

"Man Kantai Collection is pretty popular and it seems like a lot of Touhou artists are migrating towards it. Is Touhou doomed?"
"Man Azur Lane is pretty popular and it seems like a lot of Touhou artists are migrating towards it. Is Touhou doomed?"
"Man Blue Archive is pretty popular and it seems like a lot of Touhou artists are migrating towards it. Is Touhou doomed?"
image.png
Lmao i think it's only happened to Kancolle, when Azur Lane and Blue Archive are on their rise, nobody doomposting Touhou at all
In fact, it was Kancolle who got doomposted when Azur Lane reaching their massive rise

Otherwise you can add Bang Dream on it since Ringetsumon did much more Hina x Sayo fanarts than his/her touhou fanarts

20230919_132443.jpg

Translation: "At the end of last year my grandmother had taken my plush thinking it was a gift for her and I ended up telling her that it was actually mine. Shortly after turning 90, I asked her if she wanted a plush like mine and I let her choose.

As soon as it arrived yesterday, I already opened the package and delivered it to her today. I think the photos speak for themselves about how much she enjoyed her gift, she still tells me that it was the first plush she has ever won."

Honestly this wholesome post changed my heart on fumos. Maybe I should stop hating them for petty and appreciate the wholesome cuteness of fumo and fumo culture.

FUMOS, I FORGIVE YOUUUU

Well you can argue that LoLK and WBaWC are pretty impactful as they were back in the days, and maybe TH17.5 as well
TH19 is close to it if not because of the kusoge level of gameplay lmao (tho kusoge can be a good thing so i'm not contested it much lel)
WBaWC was pretty big imo, I see a lot of love for the animal yakuza crew relative to the casts in other games.

Also, I'm pretty sure TH19 is deliberate kusoge because ZUN is the most based man alive.

So is the Touhou 19 gameplay consensus now "It's Kusoge but Here's how that's based and really good actually"?

I thought y'all would at least say the game is good.

LoLK is pretty impactful but I'm not sure about WBaWC. HSiFS has way more impactful characters.

And by impactful I mean, how popular they are on the fandom even after their games get old.

I'm not sure about 17.5, it had Yuuma, Flandre and Okina but I haven't seen the fans give love to the characters in that game.
As a degenerate myself, i can fathom that majority of BA fanbase are more focusing on their sex appeal and horniness over shipping at all, like where did that "cunny" meme bs came from if not from BA fanbase lel

And i recall that BA wasn't that much of horniness until Asuna and Karin came, and that's where the series lean towards to nowadays
I see, if they focus more on the sex appeal than the shipping it only confirms my conspiracy theory about lesbians and straight men.

Also, regarding Azur Lane and Kancolle. I can't say anything about that since I wasn't a Touhou fan back when those games were popular.
I'm pretty sure Kancolle and Touhou are older than me.

Wakamo, Mika, and Hina STAY top tier girls. Asuna and Karin are also top tier.

Utaha looks so similar to Reisen, that I wouldn't be surprised if she was based off of her.

New trailer for Genso Narratograph. It should arrive at my place in 2 days, so I'll start cracking into it then.

By the way, ZUN's involvement seems to go a lot deeper than just location descriptions, which is really interesting.
image.png

Interesting, I've always wondered how does it feel to play tabletop RPGs? I've never played one of those and I doubt I could get anyone to play with.

Are they like internet roleplays but on person?

I would also like to mention that Marisa looks way better when she's using gloves. It makes her look very cute.

So is the Touhou 19 gameplay consensus now "It's Kusoge but Here's how that's based and really good actually"?

I thought y'all would at least say the game is good.
Easy there, the game is good (it has flaws but understandable), but the broken shennanigans TH19 has overshadowed it lel

LoLK is pretty impactful but I'm not sure about WBaWC. HSiFS has way more impactful characters.

And by impactful I mean, how popular they are on the fandom even after their games get old.
Only Aunn and Okina who got the massive impact while the rest? Not so much, you only remember Narumi as part of Marisa harem, and Mai/Satono didn't reach the big hit as the previous stage 5 bosses despite their difficulty spike
Other than that HSiFS was great, but still nowhere the same level as LoLK and WBaWC
I'm not sure about 17.5, it had Yuuma, Flandre and Okina but I haven't seen the fans give love to the characters in that game.
Well, Yuuma became instant classic and Flandre appearance on TH17.5 has placed her on no. 1 most popular character, if that's not the example of fans given their love so much on the characters in that game then i dunno what to tell you lel

Back