• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unpopular Opinions and (Friendly) Rant thread

Random opinion

80% of Hand to Hand fight scenes would be made cooler if either opponent employed some form of grappling tbh.

Aint even need to be that full on ground hugging shit they do in MMA. Imagine how metal it would be if Goku or idfk Yuji grabbed someone and just suplexed them 10 meters into the damn earth.

Pro Wrestling already figured this shit out DECADES ago.

Random opinion

80% of Hand to Hand fight scenes would be made cooler if either opponent employed some form of grappling tbh.

Aint even need to be that full on ground hugging shit they do in MMA. Imagine how metal it would be if Goku or idfk Yuji grabbed someone and just suplexed them 10 meters into the damn earth.

This is why Mashle is peak

Random opinion

Yuji does use grappling and wrestling. It's just a lot more subtle.

But yeah, I agree 100%.

Sidenote: Part 1 Naruto uses piledrivers a lot. Look at Rock Lee and Sasuke.

Random opinion

TRUE!! I hate when physical fights are purely just regular punches and kicks. Even the thing where the guy pulls his arm back, the camera zooms in, and the guy throws his arm forward is peak. Just grapple people, flip them around, start jumping and shit, show them why you're a powerful, skilled fighter.

Random opinion

Grappling is usually employed with the purpose of holding someone down and beating them up. You don't just slam them on the floor and you win the fight (at least not in most cases). So why would I attempt that when half of the time these characters have the ability to blow me up or turn me into a poptart? If you want to find verses which use grappling you can find some. They will just most likely be in verses which are don't contain magic.

TL;DR, Goku doesn't wanna get hit by a super ki explosion because he attempted to use an Ouchi-gari.

archery is incredibly underutilized and is an underrated style of fighting
Small, skin-and-bones character that wields a bow is introduced into the story
They are pulling on the string even when outside of combat like they have the grip strength of Mark Felix
Screen_Shot_2021-04-21_at_2.15.25_PM.png

You don't just slam them on the floor and you win the fight
You slam someone into the ground with enough force and that will end a fight tho. Add on super strength and a fair number of characters can legit be KOed just by throwing the REALLY hard into a hard surface.

these characters have the ability to blow me up or turn me into a poptart?
In most cases where an opponent can pop tart you, melee combat in general wouldn't be advisable, that's not an inherent flaw in grappling.

Like "lol, why would I try to punch him if he can turn me into Swiss cheese"

holding someone down and beating them up
Which totally would work in alot of verses. Maybe not explicitly in Dragonball cuz of lol AOE shenanigans but if your a Shonen fighter and you have a lifting strength advantage going for a lil grapple and pound is totally a viable option.

You slam someone into the ground with enough force and that will end a fight tho. Add on super strength and a fair number of characters can legit be KOed just by throwing the REALLY hard into a hard surface.
As I said, it can happen but it is unlikely. This is why Ground N' Pound as well as BJJ exists, to transition after the "slam" happens.
And added on super strength doesn't really make much sense to me cuz the characters also have super durability so the points equal out.
In most cases where an opponent can pop tart you, melee combat in general wouldn't be advisable, that's not an inherent flaw in grappling.

Like "lol, why would I try to punch him if he can turn me into Swiss cheese"
In a fight where my opponent has the ability to summon a watermelon beam, I rather use punches and keep moving then immobilizing myself.
Which totally would work in alot of verses. Maybe not explicitly in Dragonball cuz of lol AOE shenanigans but if your a Shonen fighter and you have a lifting strength advantage going for a lil grapple and pound is totally a viable option.
There are tons of verses which have the AOE shenanigans. Extremely strong Shonen verses are usually employing this. Like I said, lowkey for non magical verses. Read Peakism, get into Viral Hit. I promise they have the grappling you are looking for because a slow move like a grapple doesn't make much sense when it takes the same amount of time to throw a Rasengan.

But that's just my take, maybe I'm wrong.

archery is incredibly underutilized and is an underrated style of fighting

probably not unpopular but I just felt like it needed to be said
They have the same problem as guns when it comes to fighting except at least you can fire off shots in quick successions. There's a reason Kishimoto didn't put guns in Naruto. Couple shots from a flintknock and I could have put Toneri on a T-Shirt.

Last edited:
TRUE!! I hate when physical fights are purely just regular punches and kicks. Even the thing where the guy pulls his arm back, the camera zooms in, and the guy throws his arm forward is peak. Just grapple people, flip them around, start jumping and shit, show them why you're a powerful, skilled fighter.
When I picture fight scenes or RP fight scenes, I make sure to have my characters use a variety of martial arts, and grappling is something that's super fun to utilize, especially when blended with strikes properly.

I would kill to see a character in an anime put another in a flying armbar.

When I picture fight scenes or RP fight scenes, I make sure to have my characters use a variety of martial arts, and grappling is something that's super fun to utilize, especially when blended with strikes properly.

I would kill to see a character in an anime put another in a flying armbar.
Detaches my arm and reattaches it 🗿

They have the same problem as guns when it comes to fighting expect at least you can fire off shots in quick successions. There's a reason Kishimoto didn't put guns in Naruto. Couple shots from a flintknock and I could have put Toneri on a T-Shirt.
Pretty sure he just didn't put them in there because it didn't make sense in a world where everyone relevant can dodge bullets no-diff. The only gun in there is 5-C and powered by the power of rap.

Pretty sure he just didn't put them in there because it didn't make sense in a world where everyone relevant can dodge bullets no-diff. The only gun in there is 5-C and powered by the power of rap.
Someone pointed out there were guns in the Land of Waves arc's anime rendition.

"And then, Sonny Fighter Mcurist would quickly dash forward, his arm raised upwards the whole time. He'd use all of his power into delivering this punch, straightening its trajectory so it doesn't lose any strength on its way to his opponent's sternum! Once connected, the sheer pressure of this single blow managed to hit his heart at the right time it stops beating, resulting in its automatic beating stopping, and thus stunning his foe due to the sudden cardiac arrest. Fighter Mcurist would use this chance to grip the love handles of his foe, and lift him upwards, arching his back as to slightly mitigate the heavy weight of his enemy, before slamming his opponent behind him, the foe's head making direct contact with the wet dirt!"
british-guy-yelling.gif

"He'd grunt."
gigachad-chad.gif

Random opinion

This is why WWE is peak.

They have the same problem as guns when it comes to fighting except at least you can fire off shots in quick successions. There's a reason Kishimoto didn't put guns in Naruto. Couple shots from a flintknock and I could have put Toneri on a T-Shirt.
meh I feel like it doesn't have to be a fast paced fighting series for them to do well.

Inuyasha for example, IMO, does a decent job at this. Kikyo being revered as a masterclass bow-woman who has holy powers that demons and humans fear and revere. Like I think they do well in an adventurous/fantastical setting. Princess Mononoke does well with this as well.

"And then, Sonny Fighter Mcurist would quickly dash forward, his arm raised upwards the whole time. He'd use all of his power into delivering this punch, straightening its trajectory so it doesn't lose any strength on its way to his opponent's sternum! Once connected, the sheer pressure of this single blow managed to hit his heart at the right time it stops beating, resulting in its automatic beating stopping, and thus stunning his foe due to the sudden cardiac arrest. Fighter Mcurist would use this chance to grip the love handles of his foe, and lift him upwards, arching his back as to slightly mitigate the heavy weight of his enemy, before slamming his opponent behind him, the foe's head making direct contact with the wet dirt!"
british-guy-yelling.gif

"He'd grunt."
gigachad-chad.gif
"The marksman fires on him with his rifle, the martial artist punches him, and the ninja rushes him with a knife, all at the same time!"

"He jumps."
These posts... Oh, they awakened something in me.

I hated when people would do that back in the day. This was back when I was on Discord and participating in cursed Dragon Ball RPs (one of which was full of awful gaslighting and even threats of Majin Vegeta-ing, it was bad).

Back