• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Violet Evergarden vs Pichu

Oddly enough, Pichu's signature abilities, Charm and Sweet Kiss are nigh-ineffective against the oblivious Violet, who barely understood what she felt for her leader for the longest time.

Thundershock and Thunderwave are the real threats this time around, which is a double-edged sword for Pichu.

It is inept at storing electricity, and may discharge if amused, startled, or subjected to shock. However, it cannot discharge without being shocked itself. - Bulbapedia

All in all, given Violet's intelligence, skill and experience advantage can give her enough of an edge to knock the little rodent out.

Pichu in a stomp, thanks to range, hax, and speed equalization. Violet has no range that keeps her in 9-B.

Violet tries to close in but is unable to catch up to Pichu, who has equal speed. Pichu keeps at a distance, spamming Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave not only halves her speed (overriding Speed Equalization), but also has a 25% chance of stopping Violet any time she attempts a meaningful action.

Pichu now has all the time in the world to use Nasty Plot + Thunder Shock (multiplying his offense), or Sweet Kiss + Tail Whip (lowering her durability while causing her to damage herself). If TM moves are allowed, he can burn off her arms with Hidden Power Fire.

I personally don't know any reason for Pichu to lose. If Violet wins, it's probably because nobody else voted because the thread is kinda dead.

I mean...it's not a necro so I'm gonna give this to Pichu because that guy above me seems to know what he's talking about yeah?

To add to Prefix's reasons, if Violet hits Pichu then she has a good chance of becoming paralysed as well. While she does have the intelligence advantage, I don't think it would be enough when she's paralysed.

All in all, definitely not a stomp, but Pichu should take this

Gemmysaur said:
It is inept at storing electricity, and may discharge if amused, startled, or subjected to shock. However, it cannot discharge without being shocked itself. - Bulbapedia
Any answer to this please?

It is if Violet's superior intellect can take Pichu by surprise, and therefore shocking itself.

Actually, I just reread Pichu's game dex entries. Pichu gets surprised by its own electricity prowess and therefore shocks itself.

Though Pichu still definitely has ways to win this still, I think Violet has the edge.

From Pokemon Silver, Soul Silver, FireRed:

"Despite its small size, it can zap even adult humans. However, if it does so, it also surprises itself."

TL;DR is Bolded for convenience, because otherwise I'll just feel bad for rambling.

The Pokedex entry is valid, but shouldn't impact the fight. Unless Pokedex entries outright contradict each other, they should be considered. So I'd accept that Pichu shocks itself not only when it discharges electricity (only sometimes?), but also when it's startled (also only sometimes?). However, while it's still relevant, it's a weakness that's easily nullified or circumvented for the following reasons:

1. I don't think Pichu can ever actually KO itself, or even significantly hurt itself. It's just a cute little quirk. Worst case scenario, Thunder leaves it knocked to the ground and shaken. Thunder Wave might, at best, just cause discomfort. Somebody can come in with an exampleof a time when Pichu actually hurt itself (outside of Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Nintendo GameCube).

2. Pichu shouldn't be getting startled mid-fight. Violet isn't exactly an assassin, and isn't likely to sneak up for a surprise attack on a Baby Pokemon. "Startled" usually refers to a surprise surprise like sneaking up and going "boo!" Not general surprises, like the sudden realization that your opponent is stronger than they initially appeared.

3. Pichu doesn't need to use electrical attacks aside from Thunder Wave anyway. That was the point I was trying to make earlier. I listed some viable options that are in its "natural" Learnset, let alone learned through Breeding and TMs (especially Hidden Power Fire).

Also, I'd like to know if TMs and Egg Moves are allowed, and how do we determine which 4 moves it knows for the fight. Can we just decide for ourselves? That seems kinda broken, tbh.

Sir Dr. MC Prefix said:
1. I don't think Pichu can ever actually KO itself, or even significantly hurt itself.

However, it cannot discharge without being shocked itself. - Bulbapedia
2. Pichu shouldn't be getting startled mid-fight.

It is inept at storing electricity, and may discharge if amused, startled, or subjected to shock.

3. Pichu doesn't need to use electrical attacks aside from Thunder Wave anyway.

"Despite its small size, it can zap even adult humans. However, if it does so, it also surprises itself."

Also, I'd like to know if TMs and Egg Moves are allowed, and how do we determine which 4 moves it knows for the fight. Can we just decide for ourselves? That seems kinda broken, tbh.

Standard moveset with standard hidden ability and no outside help (e.g. TMs) is the typical way to go in a vs.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make because I've already granted that Pichu shocks itself. What I'm questioning is whether it's 1. Uncontrollable and 2. Self-Destructive.

For control, the Pokedex entry from Emerald tells us that Pichu "gets better at holding power as it grows older." Since VS Battles generally assume the best of both combatants, we should assume that Pichu is at its absolute peak age and competence (without leaving 9-B tier). It's not unreasonable to assume that, at its peak, Pichu can consistently go entire battles without shocking itself.

For destructiveness, multiple entries say that Pichu may "send out a jolt if amused." UltraMoon says Pichu "plays very energetically" when fully charged. It sounds like these shocks aren't even painful enough to even keep a Baby Pokemon afraid for very long. It sounds more like a cute quirk than anything dangerous.

I'm not saying these shocks can't harmful, but that the dex entries don't prove that they're harmful. All they say is that they're enough to make a baby cry, which means nothing.

Back