• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What should we call tier 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Currently we call it "Absolute Infinity", but this technically seems misleading, as even tier 1-A characters have ascended beyond our mathematical concepts of infinity, as far as I have understood it.

I have seen some other wikis use "True Abstraction" or "Absolute Abstraction" instead. Would this be more appropriate, or do you have a better suggestion?

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

Yeah, the definition of "absolute infinity" that I've heard seems like something 1-A characters would transcend. I think it makes sense to rename it to something else.

Yeah, Absolute Infinity is something High 1-B characters have if we're talking numbers. OP suggestions sound more relatable to conceptual manipulation than it does omnipotence or supreme deities. But maybe something like "True Boundlessness" or "Absolute Boundlessness." Also open to hear other suggestions from staff. Also wouldn't hurt to wait for DarkLK.

Pre-Suggsversal had me die inside.

That said, I suggest to just have it as "Absolute". I mean, there's really nothing we can assign that would not limit something limitless, imo.

@PaChi2

Mathew will probably get rid of tier 0 eventually, but until then we should probably rename it.

I don't like any of those suggestions, if any of them were serious.

@Medeus

We already use Boundless in the Tiering System page. Calling it the same thing twice seems redundant.

Keep it simple and call it Omnipotence?

@AKM

We don't use omnipotence, and will retire questionable omnipotence soon.

@Monarch Laciel

"Absolute Transcendence" might work, but as other have said, it is probably best to wait for DarkLK.

For this tier I thinkl we should maybe move away from the traditional tiering terms we use for the others (Infinity, absolute, true, eternal etc.) and move to something in a more traditional sense.

Tier 0s are not only above and beyond every other tier, more important is that each and every tier other than them are also part of their tier.

All what the others have is what they have.

But nothing they have is what the others have.

In the real world, such a beginning and end which incorporates everything between the beginning and the end is usually associated with, and from everyone understood as

The Alpha and Omega

Why not Name it the "AO" tier?

Antvasima said:
@PaChi2

Mathew will probably get rid of tier 0 eventually, but until then we should probably rename it.

I don't like any of those suggestions, if any of them were serious.
The top 5 were serious-like (they were serious even though I think they sound ridiculous). I just feel any attempt of naming tier 0 to be redundant since we are trying to name the Absolute possible maximum trascendence.

@Raven

"Alpha and Omega" doesn't sound very good. I like "Absolute Transcendence" better.

@PaChi2

No, sorry.

@Udlmaster

"Complete Transcendence" might also work, but "Absolute Transcendence" sounds more impressive.

Absolute Supremacy?

"Absolute- viewed or existing independently and not in relation to other things; not relative or comparative"

"Supremacy - the state or condition of being superior to all others in authority, power, or status."

@Udlmaster

No. Sorry. Also, this is staff only.

Anyway:

Agnaa said:
Posting here since I'm not staff.

Absolute Infinity seems fine and makes sense of how omnipotence has been philosophically throughout history, with ideas such as Ein Sof and True Infinity being ways that omnipotence or omnipotent brings were described.

I'm not sure that a change to the name is really necessary. Especially considering the discussions that have been had around removing tier 0 and merging it with High 1-A.

"Boundless" or "Limitless". There is no need to overthink it.

Also, "True Abstraction" makes no sense. Any abstraction that fulfils the requirements is a "true" abstract. Absolute Abstraction is even worse.

Ultima Reality said:
Absolute Infinity is a real life Mathematical concept present in Cantor's Set Theory which perfectly fits our definition of Tier 0. Even the Inaccessible Cardinal (Which is also a concept from Cantor's Theory) is the textbook definition of 1-A.

I suggest we keep the name.
Couldn't agree more.

Questionable Omnipotence, since that is the power that goes along with it? Like... no matter what context, Tier 0 = Questionable Omnipotence.

I'd just call it that.

Okay, so we should either keep "Absolute Infinity" or replace it with "Absolute Transcendence"?

I personally prefer "Absolute Transcendence", but it depends on what others think.

I'm personally against using inconsistent (read: disproven) mathematical concepts for descriptions of tiers which should be beyond mathematical notion.

So if we use absolute infinity in that context I'm against using it.

Why are we getting rid of questionable omnipotence? Would have been my first choice otherwise.

Otherwise, I guess Boundless is good as well.

"Questionable Omnipotence" is used in the tiering page. "Absolute Infinity" is used in AP and other statistics for tier 0s.

The idea isn't (EDIT: Solely) to get rid of "Questionable Omnipotence" as a term, but to get rid of Tier 0 as a tier, and merge it with High 1-A.

Infinity is not just used in mathematics, anything else we try to call it would just end up conveying the same idea. Though Absolutism is a philosophical/religious term behind the monotheistic conception of God/supreme being, true omnipotence, or in this site's case, Tier 0. True/absolute boundlessness, limitlessness, endlessness, eternity, any of them probably works the same. It wouldn't make a difference except looking how OCD about these semantics we become changing it every several months or so. A case of absolute transcendence can be made of certain 1-A's and High 1-A's as well.

Then again if you plan on getting rid of Tier 0 anyway via the NLF argument, makes the matter even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back