• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which abilities does surviving the depths of the ocean would grant a character?

To elaborate: if a character can be at the bottom of the sea without issues, can move freely, etc, which abilities would they get from it? I know they'd get Type 1 Self Sustenance due to not needing oxygen, but what about the water pressure, cold and such?

Thanks in advance

Hmm, looking up, the temperature at the bottom of the ocean is only around 0┬░C, so it isn't much of a resistance. I could be mistaken, though.

0┬░C is water freezing point so naturally temperatures wouldn't be at the level or lower. Between other powers, resistance to elevated pressures and, I think, enhanced lung capacity (if is not already related to the first advantage; obviously it also involve underwater breathing).

Type 1 self sustenance (underwater breathing is unlikely as there's barely any oxygen in the most deep parts of an ocean), and durability to survive the pressure. I guess enhanced senses if he can still see stuff as there's little to no light there.

@Antoniofer 0┬░C is for pure water, marin water can go to much lower temperatures, though I think that's counterbalanced by the extremely high pressure.

One do not necessary need elevated durability to survive in the depth of the oceans, just be adapted to survive there. Naturaly, someone that is not used to live underwater and survive there by shear strength is considered durability, but otherwise not.

Assuming the thing has human physiology, it would be a dura feat. Yes, inside of our body would counterbalance the outside pression, but the body itself would need to survive being put between these two immense forces, right?

To be more precise, I am not talking about a sea species that has evolved to live underwater, rather a character who lives on land that suddenly via an artifact or skill can now survive and move freely at the bottom of the ocean.

EDIT: Yeah, I do mean a human character

TartaChocholate said:
To be more precise, I am not talking about a sea species that has evolved to live underwater, rather a character who lives on land that suddenly via an artifact or skill can now survive and move freely at the bottom of the ocean.
EDIT: Yeah, I do mean a human character
You mean like Percy Jackson?

More or less? I am not very familiar with him so I can't really say. But from what I could gather he'd be an example of what I mean.

Essentially, the character, when at the bottom of the ocean can: breathe without problem (or not need to breathe altogether), move and fight as freely as if they were on land, not bothered by pressure nor any other possible extreme conditions from the depths of the ocean.

TartaChocholate said:
More or less? I am not very familiar with him so I can't really say. But from what I could gather he'd be an example of what I mean.
Essentially, the character, when at the bottom of the ocean can: breathe without problem (or not need to breathe altogether), move and fight as freely as if they were on land, not bothered by pressure nor any other possible extreme conditions from the depths of the ocean.
Yeah, that's Percy Jackson.

Took a look at Percy and Aquaman's pages. Doesn't seem that resisiting ocean's pressure or moving freely in water is an ability per se. I had missed Underwater Breathing, my bad.

I guess you can say something like: Underwater Breathing. Self-Sustenance (Type-1) and "can move freely underwater" and Resistance to Extreme Pressures (can whistand the Ocean Bottom), like Aquaman's page says.

On a side note, Aquaman has a pretty nifty powerset, I am impressed.

Should the character enhanced senses to be able to see and hear so deep in there? Aquaman has them, but I don't know if it it's because of this or he has them for other reasons.

Back