• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

1 More Discord Ability CRT (One for the Road)

Alright so I'm back with more abilities for our favorite klutzy draconequus. Most of these will be coming from the MLP storybooks so this'll be a new medium to look at.

Starting off, Discord should get Summoning. There are many examples of this, but the most notable example is when he summoned the Bugbear in "A Matter of Principals".

Next up, Discord should get Type 8 Immortality since he cannot die due to his Abstract Existence as he will always live as long as Chaos exists. This of course only applies to his IDW version.

Now moving onto the storybooks, not really an ability but Discord's age should be updated since he claims he is actually thousands of years old and not just 1,000.

Next he should get Body Puppetry because he made Martingale sign a contract and dance against his will. He also explicitly did this without messing with his mind, hence why it's not Mind Manipulation.

Moving forward, he should also get Invisibility with his Invisipaint. He should also have Invisipaint added to his Optional Equipment.

Now for a Resistance possibly, he should resist either Probability Manipulation or Causality Manipulation or Law Manipulation or maybe all of them, because when Scootaloo went to Discord's realm with a bad luck curse on her, it stopped working because Discord's chaos nulled the logic that made the spell work. This of course would work for Discord normally since all his powers come from chaos and he is literally made of chaos so it applies to him as well. He should also get Causality Manipulation since he made a sneeze turn houses into cardboard cutouts and fall over, and Law Manipulation for this as it's literally one of the examples of its uses on the page: "Chaos Manipulation: The user may be able to alter logical order."

To go more into detail why Discord should get resistance: Discord says that there is no logic in his realm, just chaos. What he's saying is that chaos exists without logic by it's very nature. And it is because of this illogical nature, that the spell can't work. So, it stands to reason that an entity like Discord, who is literally made of chaos should also be resistant. I mean, I can't see any possible reason why it wouldn't apply to him.

Agreed. I actually wanted to talk about his immortality as well, but you beat me here.

Also, about resistance to logic. Perhaps it can be also said that he is resistant to Law Manipulation?

MrKerf said:
Also, about resistance to logic. Perhaps it can be also said that he is resistant to Law Manipulation?
Y'know, I wasn't sure about this at first but apparently that's literally one of the examples on the Law Manip page. If his chaos defies logic in this way maybe he should also get Law Manipulation?

Then yeah, I'm in agreement to this. If type 8 immortality applied to normal Discord then I would've been iffy.

This mostly seems fine. His abilities are strictly tied to chaos though, so I do not think that Law Manipulation seems appropriate.

I think that law manipulation is a more generalised ability to manipulate all of the fundamental laws of reality.

I mean literally one of the examples on the Law Manipulation page is "Chaos Manipulation: The user may be able to alter logical order." which is literally what he does so unless we want to remove that from the page I still think he should get it. Even then he has other examples of Law Manip since he can completely flip the laws of physics and his Chaos already effects normal Causality as seen above, so that's 2 more boxes he ticks from the examples on our very own page.

Also wtf I just noticed Discord is in the users section on that page too lol.

Antvasima said:
I think that law manipulation is a more generalised ability to manipulate all of the fundamental laws of reality.
So is the problem that he can't manipulate *all* laws and only the logical ones?

Also, while we're here, I wanted to add causality manipulation for Discord. I believe we've rejected instances of him making chocolate milk explode via throwing it or making a sneeze turn houses into cardboard and fall over as nothing more than him using his reality warping. But with this scan we have official confirmation that Discord's chaos being illogical and nonsensicle is something he means literally, and isn't just flowery language.

Which means his reality warping a result of the illogical side of chaos. He's not using reality warping to make things appear illogical, that's just the nature of his magic at work.

Yeah, but his chaos was used in the exact way as described as on the law manipulation page: Manipulation of logical order. Shouldn't it matter more what he does with the chaos rather than him manipulating chaos?

No. His abilities are accurately summarised by chaos manipulation and reality warping. Law manipulation would let him control the fundamental conceptual building blocks of all reality itself at the same time as far as I am aware. It is generally reserved for very high order cosmic entities. Or that is how I understand it at least. If you want more than that you have to ask other knowledgeable administrators, but I am not going to agree with it, and don't remotely have the time to continue to argue about it.

The Law Manipulation page says that users can manipulate one or more laws. You don't need to control every one of them to qualify.

Basic users of the power may only disturb one or more laws without control over them. Regular and more advanced users may be able to destroy, nullify, modify and/or create new laws, potentially to keep an order or to benefit themselves.
Under this definition, Discord would at best be a basic user.

The page also doesn't say you have to manipulate every conceptual building block to qualify.

The ability to manipulate "laws" that automatically apply themselves upon reality, referring to rules, mandates and even fundamental logical principles/truths/facts that are the way in which a reality may function.
Manipulating fundemental truths is optional, it's not a requirement. Thats why it says "and even fundamental principles". It's not listed as a requirement, just an option that counts.

Okay. I suppose that Law Manipulation might be acceptable then. I would still prefer more staff input though.

Okay. I would appreciate if you ask a few other administrators for help though.

I'm not sure about Law Manipulation, that's mainly for people who can create, destroy, or rewrite abstract laws whether it be the laws of physics, the laws of causality, ect. It is possible, but that's a pretty potent ability that I tend to be hesitant to apply without very specific details. But Reality Warping, Chaos Manipulation, and Causality manipulation seem to make sense to me.

I added the Causality Manipulation to the OP.

I will say, he checks 3 of the boxes for qualifying for Law Manip from our very own page since he can change the laws of physics, deny normal Causality, and his chaos erases logic. If those 3 aren't enough to qualify, we should maybe look into rewriting that page.

I have similar views to Medeus. You can ask DontTalkDT or similar highly informed staff members to comment here if you wish though.

CinnabarManx421 said:
I added the Causality Manipulation to the OP.
I will say, he checks 3 of the boxes for qualifying for Law Manip from our very own page since he can change the laws of physics, deny normal Causality, and his chaos erases logic. If those 3 aren't enough to qualify, we should maybe look into rewriting that page.
You should probably update the reasoning for casuality manipulation. Which is: He made a sneeze turn houses into cardboard cutouts and fall over.

Seems Law Manipulation is on hold right now. But what about Resistance to it? Laws are just... "logical constructs" after all.

Feel free to add what has been accepted, yes.

To be fair law manipulation can vary a lot in potential. I think discord should have it, but it shouldn't be considered exceptionally powerful either. Like Bill Cipher.

Back