• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

2D vs 3D: Doomguy vs Gordon Freeman

Numbersguy

VS Battles
Retired
Half-Life is now 20 years old, Doom is about to be 25 years old. So, how about we make their protagonists have a deathmatch?

Doomguy

NByzxb-eOu8
D24264c57335c5f2be94203c7dd7c592
Gordon Freema

• Gordon has: The crowbar, the mp5, the Super Gravity Gun, the rocket launcher and the Gluon Cannon. He hax maximun ammo
  • Classic Doomguy has: The chainsaw, the chaingun, the shotgun and the rocket launcher. He has maxmun ammo
  • They fight in a town in the middle of Tatooine , 300 meters away from each other
  • Music:

Now THIS is a classic fight!

Thank you for specifing things like location and distance right off the bat. Makes it much easier visualizing how much cover there is and what Gordan can manipluate with the Gravity Gun, or how much distance Doomguy needs to cross to get into RIP AND TEAR range. Loudouts are extremely balanced (except for maybe the Super Gravity Gun) and the music is also a nice touch.

Doomguy can spam rockets at some risk of self damage, But Gordan Freeman's homing rockets can hit targets in cover. Both can stay on the move to mitigate this and Doomguy can probably take a rocket or few more than Freeman.

Freeman's mp5 grenades are a hard to avoid, mid range aoe and the Gluon Cannon might be the most powerful weapon on the field. But Doomguy's shotgun and chaingun give him a better balance of close, mid and long range.

Doomguy is faster, able to cross distances and find cover quicker, but Freeman can use the Gravity Gun to turn objects in the environment into cover, or alternatively into a battering ram!

Think Freeman has a slight advantage at long range with weapons like the Gluon Cannon and homing rockets, while Doomguy has an definant close combat advantage with the chainsaw and bare fists. The Super Gravity Gun kind of changes that however, and I'm sure if nothing else it'll keep Doomguy at a range.

Doomguy has a pretty solid training and experience advantage, but Freeman has been able to compensate against better trained enemy forces before and takes better advantage of his environment.

One of the most even fights I've seen, but in the end, while I think Doomguy is faster stronger and obviously more brutal, Gordan Freeman's weapons give him more tactical options.

Vote for Gordan Freeman

Not all of Freeman's attacks he uses immediately are 9-A, whereas Doomguy very much spams his 9-A attacks. Especially from range while he closes with the shotgun. I believe most of the above points are valid but I'd vote more to Doomguy based on being more willing to abuse 9-A attacks and generally better experience/training.

I agree, sometimes one of the most simple strategies are actually the smartest/most effective tactics. Additionally, Doomguy's strength and speed advantage on top of spamming his 9-A weapons like rockets and Super Shotguns could give him the edge. Not to mention the gravity gun is kind of limited in terms of combat. So voting Doomguy for both mine and Bambu's reasons.

Also, I actually noticed the speed gap seems pretty steep; SuperHuman with Subsonic combat speed Vs at least Subsonic+ movement speed with at least Supersonic combat speed. I really don't see anything that stops Doomguy from speed blitzing him.

didn't even notice this was unequal tbh I always just assume it is nowadays

IIRC, the gravity gun only works on inanimate objects and isn't really used to pick up people; launching saw blades is what it's typically used for. It could perhaps redirect some missiles, but Doomguy could be spamming them left and right faster than Freeman can react and is a much faster runner than his own RPGs. RPGs typically travel at 660 MPH, or 295 m/s, which Doomguy runs much faster than on a regular basis.

This is the Super Gravity Gun. It not only manipulates far large objects at a much faster pace, but it can most definantly manipulate organic matter.

During Half-Life 2s thirteenth chapter, Our Benefactors when Gordon's is droped into a Confiscation Field, all of his weapons are destroyed except for the Gravity Gun which is Super Charges, and you left to use it to fight the on coming Overwatch Soldiers. You can secondary fire to pick them up at long distances, drawing them closer and instantly ragdolling them, and primary fire to blast a shot of electricity that throws the soldiers far distances, vaporizing any other soldiers they come close to.

That's great and all but like

do they wanna be tracer is the real question?

On a more serious note, Doomguy moves faster than Gordon can react. I doubt he'll be able to reliably hit him.

Back