• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A blind samurai against an Oni (Kenshi Takahashi vs Muaj)

The Oni doesn't seem to be a combatant, but rather a support-type of creature, the file even says it is prone to flee when confronted by a stronger opponent.

They don't have any remarkable fighting skill and all their spells are utility: Change Shape, Charm Person and Sleep are hardly combat applicable; Darkness and Invisibility are countered by Kenshi's ES and Mind Reading (since he's already blind and his telepathy can be used to spot invisible beings [Takeda is Kenshi's son, and his telepathic abilities are rougher than his father's]); Cone of Cold and Lightning Storm can be useful, but nothing Kenji hasn't already confronted, and the Oni can't even spam them: Gaseus Form goes so far, and is once per day, and even flight isn't much of help.

On the other hand Kenshi is a master assassin and fighter, with years of experience against various opponents with supernatural abilities, and he himself has a variety of powers that make him much more than a simple swordsman, starting from telekinesis to his "stand-like" summon.

They don't have any remarkable fighting skill and all their spells are utility: Change Shape, Charm Person and Sleep are hardly combat applicable;
???
How is putting the enemy to sleep not battle applicable, I don't see anything on Kenshi's page which implies he can resist it
Oni can put him to sleep and proceed to get a free fatal hit off like Cone of Cold to his head to freeze it or something, or just slit his throat.
The casting time is a round which is usually considered 6 seconds by most, and the Oni has +11 to Concentration checks which means they're very good at casting spells even while being attacked, and due to their flight it's not like Kenshi will have an easy time to hit them

Also I would like to know what Kenshi's stamina feats even are since with the Oni's regen and superhuman stamina there's an argument to be made for it outlasting Kenshi

???
How is putting the enemy to sleep not battle applicable, I don't see anything on Kenshi's page which implies he can resist it
I took it from Oni's file:
This spell as the name implies puts a target to sleee up to a minute unless they get damaged or someone shakes them to wake up

This status seems very volatile, you basically have to leave the target alone to not wake them up.

About the rest, MK characters aren't stranger to freezing attacks, as we often see people being frozen solid but not killed by Sub-Zero's attacks (Goro, Kintaro, Johnny Cage, Frost), and even more have fought him, and freezing attacks are his bread and butter.
And generally, is Cone of Cold such a deadly attack even in lore? I know the damage it deals depends on the levels of the Oni and the victim, and I don't know how much game mechanics weight in this, but if it's not a sure kill, then it's just going to wake Kenshi, since any damage wakes the victim, and this still assuming he has his 1-per-day Cone of Cold when he puts Kenshi to sleep.
The casting time is a round which is usually considered 6 seconds by most, and the Oni has +11 to Concentration checks which means they're very good at casting spells even while being attacked, and due to their flight it's not like Kenshi will have an easy time to hit them
Kenshi can telekinetically control his sword, catch opponent with said telekinesis and send forth a stand-like spirit wielding his sword.
Assuming the Oni does get afloat and isn't caught by one of these attacks (either while rising or chanting the spell), he has to either prepare it at decent range (otherwise in 6 seconds Kenshi can just stab him), Kenshi's isn't going to wait there for a spell to be made (magic and incantations are very common in MK, he's going to recognize one) knowing his opponent is out of range, and can perfeclty put some distance between him and the Oni.

Also I would like to know what Kenshi's stamina feats even are since with the Oni's regen and superhuman stamina there's an argument to be made for it outlasting Kenshi
Considering all the advantages Kenshi has, and the way he fights and his killing blows work, having limbs hacked off is the least thing that can happen to the Oni, especially because Kenshi has no reason to spare him.

Last edited:
This status seems very volatile, you basically have to leave the target alone to not wake them up.
No???
The scan says regular noise will not wake them up, you basically need to actively **** with them after they fall to sleep for them to wake up prematurely and the Oni should be smart enough to not squander this
About the rest, MK characters aren't stranger to freezing attacks, as we often see people being frozen solid but not killed by Sub-Zero's attacks (Goro, Kintaro, Johnny Cage, Frost), and even more have fought him, and freezing attacks are his bread and butter.
And generally, is Cone of Cold such a deadly attack even in lore? I know the damage it deals depends on the levels of the Oni and the victim, and I don't know how much game mechanics weight in this, but if it's not a sure kill, then it's just going to wake Kenshi, since any damage wakes the victim, and this still assuming he has his 1-per-day Cone of Cold when he puts Kenshi to sleep.
It freezes stuff by draining heat in a cone, it's as deadly as it sounds
Also does Sub Zero even freeze freeze people or does he just throw cold attacks at people?
Kenshi can telekinetically control his sword, catch opponent with said telekinesis and send forth a stand-like spirit wielding his sword.
Assuming the Oni does get afloat and isn't caught by one of these attacks (either while rising or chanting the spell), he has to either prepare it at decent range (otherwise in 6 seconds Kenshi can just stab him), Kenshi's isn't going to wait there for a spell to be made (magic and incantations are very common in MK, he's going to recognize one) knowing his opponent is out of range, and can perfectly put some distance between him and the Oni.
It likely can power through the pain and finish the casting, again it's only 6 seconds which isn't a lot and if it ends it Kenshi goes sleeping and is opened to a free lethal attack kill, then it's just going to wake Kenshi, since any damage wakes the victim, and this still assuming he has his 1-per-day Cone of Cold when he puts Kenshi to sleep.

He fires projectiles to freeze his target to Absolute Zero, takes them a few seconds to break out of the ice they're encased in, this effects even Kenshi in game, Sub-Zero could even freeze people in a big block of ice if he wanted, as seen with his Ice-Cutioner fatality in MK11.

Sub-Zero can also perform brutalities with his ice projectiles, such as freezing his opponent with one and firing another to cause their entire torso to come off.

BUT he can also create cold air, while I would say Kenshi escapes Absolute Zero like every other MK character seconds later, Subby was able to freeze Frost (another cryomancer) in MKX, and she took a dang while to escape.

In defense of Kenshi though, he doesn't need to stab them, he could just overload their senses, Kenshi's sharpened senses would give him a hand, especially because of his ability to read minds, he could read its mind and predict what the Oni will do next with that power, the Oni will be unable to keep Kenshi guessing especially because of the edge granted by his ability to read minds! He'd look for an advantage and try to set himself up, maybe even finish it by likely overloading his senses to render them unconscious before they do anything big.

Last edited:
No???
The scan says regular noise will not wake them up, you basically need to actively **** with them after they fall to sleep for them to wake up prematurely and the Oni should be smart enough to not squander this
Attacks and pings do, though, so assuming the Oni lands the attack, he needs to be quite careful anyway.

It freezes stuff by draining heat in a cone, it's as deadly as it sounds
Also does Sub Zero even freeze freeze people or does he just throw cold attacks at people?
Actual freezing (examples 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), and although recovering time varies from fighter to fighter, all of them are basically uninjured when they thaw (in gameplay, the cold ball still deals some damage).

It likely can power through the pain and finish the casting, again it's only 6 seconds which isn't a lot and if it ends it Kenshi goes sleeping and is opened to a free lethal attack kill
It depends on the wound, Kenshi can very well decapitate him, pierce his heart or slice him in half, since the Oni's basically defenseless during casting, if I get it right.
Kenshi can also grab him telekinetically and throw him away (like he did here and here) or do any of these things (or more), since the Oni is vulnerable.
And if the oni is at low health, Kenshi can also push his skeleton out of his body.

Basically, for starters it's not going to be easy for the Oni to fly away at safe distance without getting caught by some of Kenshi's ranged attacks, but it also needs to get decently far away (and it doesn't not know the range of Kenshi's attacks) to not get interrupted and murdered, and the farther it goes, the more difficult it's going to be to catch Kenshi.
Sleep has 30 meters range, which isn't little, but isn't even that much, assuming it manages to get far enough and starts casting, Kenshi has already an advantage and with his peak human running speed and acrobatics, the chances of going out of range increase even more.

He fires projectiles to freeze his target to Absolute Zero, takes them a few seconds to break out of the ice they're encased in, this effects even Kenshi in game, Sub-Zero could even freeze people in a big block of ice if he wanted, as seen with his Ice-Cutioner fatality in MK11.
Them getting free in seconds is a lil bit of a game mechanic, since as seen above time varies, but from what I read Cone of Cold freezes the victim whole only if it deals lethal damage.

Attacks and pings do, though, so assuming the Oni lands the attack, he needs to be quite careful anyway.
And what does Kenshi do after the Oni slices its throat, it has roughly equal stats and uses sharp weapons like a glaive
One free attack is quite a lot in this battle
Actual freezing (examples 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), and although recovering time varies from fighter to fighter, all of them are basically uninjured when they thaw (in gameplay, the cold ball still deals some damage).
I see, well Cone of Cold isn't a major wincon anyways
It depends on the wound, Kenshi can very well decapitate him, pierce his heart or slice him in half, since the Oni's basically defenseless during casting, if I get it right.
Kenshi can also grab him telekinetically and throw him away (like he did here and here) or do any of these things (or more), since the Oni is vulnerable.
And if the oni is at low health, Kenshi can also push his skeleton out of his body.
It can still dodge while casting, you aren't forced to stand still while doing it.
Them getting free in seconds is a lil bit of a game mechanic, since as seen above time varies, but from what I read Cone of Cold freezes the victim whole only if it deals lethal damage.
Well the latter is because it drains heat from you, and most things are dead when you freeze them like that

And what does Kenshi do after the Oni slices its throat, it has roughly equal stats and uses sharp weapons like a glaive
One free attack is quite a lot in this battle
That can surely happen, but it's the Oni's only reliable wincon, and I don't think it has many chances to happen.

It can still dodge while casting, you aren't forced to stand still while doing it.
But the sword is remotely controlled, it would be far from easy.
And Kenshi's telekinesis can also shove the Oni onto the sword or keep it still.

None of the other combatants can really do anything when grabbed by Kenshi's Telekinesis at that, his TK is quite OP.

Scorpion could've teleported but he got restrained and tossed like a ragdoll by Kenshi with TK, so his LS advantage Class K Telekinesis easily stops the Oni from doing anything, Kenshi can also kinda close the distance, especially with Teleportation, and also use his ability to read minds to give him an advantage, once close enough, he could overload the Oni's senses and take the kill.

Heck, he doesn't even need to close the distance too, he has the ability to attack people from a distance, referred to as the 'Tele-Flurry', although since it's from MK Armageddon I don't think it can be counted since Midway characters are getting their own separate profiles, but if you can use this, just know, his Telekienetic Powers ignore durability, so yeah-

I dunno if that effects his sword, but if it did, that'd be a huge help, staying out of effective range and simply slicing 'em up with the sword, even during a fatality of his, that sword spins fast enough to cut people into a bloody mess.

Last edited:
And just to get this concluded

Neglectful Dad FRA

And that's grace, thank you everyone

{Also in case you're wondering, this is allowed based on this thread}

Back