• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Giant Revision for the Iron Giant

Crimson_Azoth

VS Battles
Retired
So, as everyone and their mother probably knows at this point, The Iron Giant's profile is all sorts of outdated, and requires a big old revision to get through.

AP
When the re-evaluated iron vaporisation value came through, there was a consensus that the Iron Giant would need to re-evaluated, but it never happened.

Until now

Using that calculation, the Iron Giant becomes 7-C with his regular armament, and his chest cannon goes to Low 7-B thanks to the power of angsizing. I could just make those changes now, but there are some other things I want to talk about before that.

How did this exist for so long? He's a robot, for crying out loud. He has no gender. This heading should be changed to "None, referred to as male"

Powers and Abilities
So, obviously, the big one that we are missing here is Large Size. The type is a little difficult to work around, as the Iron Giant's size fluctuates during the movie. At times large enough to hold a tree in his hand, then small enough to hide among trees. This seems more like inconsistent animation rather than Size Manipulation.

His most consistent size appears to be the one where he can easily hold Hogarth in his hand, so therefor, Large Size (Type 1)

Immortality: Type 3. Regenerationn type. For obvious reasons

Self-Sustenance (Type 1): The Iron Giant can breathe in space. Either that, or he doesn't need to breathe. This is shown at the beginning of the movie when he arrives on Earth from an unknown origin, and at the end when he catches the nuke.

Energy Projection: I shouldn't have to justify this. The Iron Giant primarily attacks by firing energy blasts at his foes

Heat Vision: One of the Giant's weapons.

Rage Power: The Giant gets violent when he loses control, as shown when Hogarth "dies". And when Hogarth calms him down, he loses access to his weapons

Flight: He already has this, but it should be defined as Technical Flight, as he flies using rocket boosters on his feet

Lifting Strength
Class K? Since when? The Giant's best feats in the movie are lifting cars casually, meaning at best, he should be Class 5, possibly higher. Remember, this was the guy that couldn't even break through metal pylons that he could break with just his weight.

Stamina
High? Nah. The Giant makes Above Average at best. Remember, he needs to sleep and eat quite often, to the point where he has to eat so much that he is taking chomps out of everything in town.

Range
>Extended melee range physically

No! Simply by sheer size, the Giant's reach should be much more than 2 meters. Several meters would be much more appropriate here

>Hundreds of meters with most weapons

We never see him shoot that far. Assuming that he can is a mild dose of NLF. Break that bad boy down to tens of meters for deleting that tank from distance

>Tens of kilometres with Energy Cannon

My calculation found that the Energy Cannon only had a range of about 4km. So the Iron Giant's range with that should be kilometres

Intelligence
At the very least, he should be Gifted. The Giant could pick up a completely new language in a matter of days with very little repetition. He is also apparently artistically gifted, and if you subscribe to the theory that he is a WOMD, he should also be tactically skilled.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this!

You know the fact that he's pretty bicc

I'm pretty sure that's above Class 5 by size alone

Actually, I forgot to bring this up on the calc itself, but Vaporization is best done with E=mass (in kilograms)*heat capacity*Temperature Change/Latent Heat of Fusion/Vaporization

In this case, 23490×460×6213627 is....

67140725185800 Joules, 16.0470184478489 Kilotons, Town level

Now as per how anyone got that J/CC... I have no idea.

The j/cc value came from weighing the tank and using the density of iron, and the value for vaporisation of iron

Which is really roundabout in comparison to using the actual methods for vaporizing

At the moment, DMUA, the calculation works. It gives an answer that is accurate with the formula that I used, and was accepted. The fact that it is roundabout should not have any relevance towards deciding whether it is correct.

DMUA said:
In this case, 23490×460×6213627 is....

67140725185800 Joules, 16.0470184478489 Kilotons, Town level
My main problem is said J/CC shouldn't be getting such dramatically different results then actual heat change

Also, reverse-engineering your found value has the J/cc value at 22,437,407.097 joules per cubic centimetre. That is almost 400x our current value for iron atomisation.

I mean

Considering using the proper method resulted in 400x our current values, wouldn't you think our current values are miscalculated?

That's a pretty beefy miscalculation. And while I will readily admit that vaporisations are not my forte, the way that Medeus went about his calculation seems ok?

Well, what do you want to trust?

The direct way to get a value of vaporizing something as listed on Calculations

Or someone converting from J/KG to J/CC an entire year ago?

You make a good point. I'll edit me olde calculation. Meanwhile, do the rest of the points make sense?

I'll be real with you chief

I've never gotten the chance to actually watch The Iron Giant so I can't comment

Thanks, Ant.

Is there anyone else I need to get approval from, or would you be able to open the profile now?

Back