• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A new type of Preparation

Just linking them (the tiers and abilities of allies cannot go into the profile's powers and stats, however) was accepted.

I'm not quite sure what would be the best standard implementation. How do you feel about the structure on Azra Livbar's profile? Under an "Allies" heading giving a quick summary of how they relate to their allies, and linking to them? If it is standardized it may also be better to turn that subheading into a normal heading.

I believe I got that formatting idea from another profile, but I've long since forgotten which one that was.

I do not know. I personally think that it is pointless and unnecessary to take up entire sections of many profile pages with links to allied characters.

If it is relevant enough, groups of individuals, such as the Justice League, can be placed in the same section of their verse pages, or get specific categories in more prominent cases.

I made a proposal to add a "Optional Companions" section on the standard profile format, but Ant asked me to propose it later in the future because at the moment there are more important things to take care of.
However, tier changing should be allowed in specific case, just like we have characters that are " X-A via Summoning/preparation/optional equipment".

Anyway, a heading/subheading for standard and or optional allies would be the best thing do. If the allies are too much complex to be briefly explained, then they should have their own profile and it be linked instead of a description.

I just saw you reply Ant, people like the justice league, the avengers or similar teams are excluded.
Me (and Agnaa too I think) refer to characters that are consistently shown to be some sort of living equipment that is always with them or can be summoned/brought in.
It doesn't extend to every character that has friends or is part of a team.

@Ant For Azra specifically, I linked her allies because in-game she can't do much by herself, and a large portion of her abilities revolve around buffing, granting abilities to, resurrecting, and healing her allies. To the point where I think she's arguably on the level of Pokemon trainers.

@Saman Tier changing definitely shouldn't be allowed. Having allies is incomparable to being able to summon/prepare/retrieve something that grants you a higher tier. One is done through a character's own power, one isn't.

May I ask a question about a verse that could be affected by this, as it completely relies on commanding armies? I'm not sure how I'd have to change it.

I personally think that it is pointless and unnecessary to take up entire sections of many profile pages with links to allied characters.

If it is relevant enough, groups of individuals, such as the Justice League, can be placed in the same section of their verse pages, or get specific categories in more prominent cases.

It's not about allied characters, it's just random nameless troops, but being a strategy game, that's the only way most characters can fight. Currently I have the pages link to the game's wiki page for units, since that's a lot more in-depth than any explaination I could make, but I could also make a page for the army (since all factions share the same units more or less) or add them to every page, I'm unsure.

Well, we already reached a general agreement here, even according to Agnaa, if I'm not mistaking anything.

The section also wouldn't be for every ally (No Justice League, no Avengers, no Z Fighters, no Ninja Turtles, no whatever other team), but only for minions and/or summons that characters bring with them always of often, and would be generally under their command. Finally, if a character has an army and said army has its own profile (either being a civilization or something) it can just be linked there.

And, most important, no tier change is allowed to happen due to this, as well as no abilities belonging to others will be listed, aside from the description of the ally itself

This should work as an example (the first two images come from profiles I made)

Armor should still express his doubt, though, since his character relies on that

This is an example of the verse's pages. In fact, this is one of the few characters that has a direct attack (with only one move), others such as this one completely rely on their units to attack, and are physically Unknown. And there's like, 20 units in the games each with distinctive traits, so I'm also afraid the pages would be a bit bloated if I listed the units in every single one.

In general yes, does it also apply to my case? Since it was said they cannot get tiers from the underlings, but Nintendo Wars' tiers are the underlings

@Armor Can those profiles really not be reworked into civilization profiles? That's what we do for most RTS games iirc.

Kinda? The CO directly controls and summons them through the right buildings, but I suppose that's common in RTS. But even then that'd lead to five civilization pages with basically the same content, then another with the same and a little more, and then two/three more for Days of Ruin, which is its own canon, and also has identical units for everyone, except one person's units are mindless robots, so they wouldn't even get a page.

How would that not be the case already?

Also, could that redundancy be minimized through the use of keys?

What would be the case?

I suppose I could just make a civilization page for the whole world and use keys if needed, but would these characters be able to use them in VS Debates?

You said if there's a civ page there'd be five civ pages with basically the same content. How isn't that the case with the current profiles?

Yeah, civ profiles let you use the entire force of the civilization, from commanders to random troops.

I, uh, just link to the Advance Wars Wiki for the units. In hindsight... that's kind of bad, isn't it.

I'll do that when I manage to gather the time, then. This month's very busy, and I have no experience with this kinda page, so it'll take a while.

ArmorChompy's stuff seems to be resolved, for his situation our Civilization profiles work fine.

SamanPotou wants a "Optional Allies" section added to profiles. I'm not quite sure what to do about this:
  • The Pokemon trainer profiles already have an established way of doing this.
  • But that may not be appropriate for all cases, Azra Livbar has marginally less control, but she still canonically can't do a whole lot by herself, and fights by summoning/empowering her allies. She doesn't have the issue of tier changes as they're all the same tier, but I may not want tiers changed for cases like hers.
  • But Saman's proposal seems to stretch a bit further than that, giving these sections to any characters with hierarchical control (i.e. a commander of an army), even if they can canonically fight by themselves competently too.

Yes, I think that until these companions are optional but relevant to enough to be considered "living equipment" and don't change tier or occupy too much space, they should still be included (the same would be for standard companions, but it's the same just for characters that have always someone with them and that would otherwise be listed as equipment).

If those secondary characters have a profile as individuals or civilizations, they can just be linked.

Also, despite this being discussed in the "new type of Preparation thread", this thing I'm saying is unrelated to preparation.

I personally think that this may be redundant and am uncertain where exactly that we should draw the line, but that's me.

What do you mean? We can still refine things. The examples of the other day seemed ok.
If characters have a profile of their own they would be just linked as the Pokemon are currently linked in Trainers' pages.

And currently some profiles lists (more or less) recurrent and everlasting helpers, minions and companions as equipment, so in a certain sense this is already applied but in a more raw version.

I mean, the concept is literally the same for standard and optional equipment, the only difference is that this is for living beings (they don't necessarily need to be alive, but you get it).
Even now, if a weapon or a vehicle has a profile, it is just linked in the profiles of those who use it, otherwise is descripted (in the best of the cases)

Well, I do not really think that this adds anything of value whatsoever to our profile pages.

It just creates ongoing widespread unnecessary work, and it is very easy for regular members to misunderstand and add lists of virtually ever character that other characters have ever collaborated with.

It will also be near-impossible for me to evaluate which cases that are accurately or inaccurately handled in my regular edit-patrolling duties, for fictions that I am not very familiar with.

Ok, I understand.
And what about adding that section as a customization for the single profiles, without making it a standard thing?
Just to be know if I have to delete the section from the profiles I put it into (Otherwise I can insert links to prove that they are legit)

Well, I personally prefer if we avoid it altogether, and we also have much more important wiki-wide revisions planned.

Got it.

Do I have to remove that section from the profiles I made? If no, can I add the same thing to future profiles, maybe providing links to justify their presence.
Perhaps, I can insert them into the optional equipment?

Sorry if I stress this, I'm just looking for a way around, but if needed I will remove them. All of this without making it a wiki-wide revision.

I would personally prefer if you remove those sections, yes. That way others will not be inspired to apply the same thing.

Thank you for helping out.

What if I move them in the optional equipment section?
Would it be an acceptable compromise to keep them without insipire others with an additional section?

Well, one of the reasons I brought the thing up is that some profiles use the attacks section (Ex: Olimar), equipment (Ex: One Piece characters, Soul Eater characters, and some Pokemon trianers) or powers and abilities as a way to index living beings that accompany the character, in absence of a proper are where to place them. (With time, I could find more examples of profiles that do this thing)

But I guess that I can remove anyway if it's inappropriate.

Well, Pokemon trainers only fight via their Pokemon, so they are a special case.

Ok then, I will remove those minor characters entirely from the profiles, linking this topic as a reason (I will also edit the version of Slappy from which I took inspiration).
Perhaps I could try to bring this thing up in the future (4-5 months or more), because at the moment those kind of secondary but living people are a bit all over the place in the profiles and it would be nice (at least from my perspective) to put some order.

Back