• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A question for calcing Tabletop RPG characters with random feats.

So in the Pathfinder RPG, the creature known as a Star Monarch has an ability called "Starflight"

It flies through space at an incredible speed. Although exact travel times vary, a trip within a single solar system should take 3d20 hours, while a trip beyond should take 3d20 days (or more, at the GM’s discretion).
Just looking at the "Within our Solar System" this creates a HUGE variance in speed. It could either take 60 hours to get from Earth to the moon (Hypersonic) or only three hours to get from the sun to pluto (FTL). So how do we define what the actual speed IS? Do we highball it to FTL? Or lowball it to Hypersonic?

"This bubble is known as the heliosphere, and its edge (called the heliopause) marks a physical border where the solar system ends and interstellar space begins — but, unlike most borders on Earth, scientists have no idea how big it is or what it looks like."

"Scientists define the beginning of interstellar space as the place where the Sun’s constant flow of material and magnetic field stop affecting its surroundings. This place is called the heliopause."
"As of 2015, it is over 12,161,300,000 miles away from Earth."

Despite my best efforts, I'm unclear where the distance to interstellar space from Earth figure comes from, & considering it seems to be on a kid-oriented section (& it uses miles.), I'm somewhat skeptical of it, but it's from NASA, so I'll give them my vote of confidence/the benefit of the doubt.

On average, 3d20 is 31.5, so.... "a trip within a single solar system?"
Well, where are we starting? At the sun, which is the center of the solar system?
From the edge?
"Sedna is three times farther away from Earth than Pluto, making it the most distant observable object known in the solar system. It is 143.73 billion km from the Sun, thus giving the Solar System a diameter of 287.46 billion km."

"Looking at the aphelion(according to NASA figures) of the orbit of the farthest acknowledged planet, Neptune, the Solar System would have a radius of 4.545 billion km and a 9.09 billion km diameter."

Yes, to my surprise, our solar system is not a sphere, or even an ellipse.
It is apparently, like a "deflated croissant". No joke.
figrue4a.jpg
So do we use our solar system as a model for this trip? If so, what is the start & end point of it? WHERE IN THE DEFLATED CROISSANT DOES THE STAR MONARCH START & FINISH?

But against my better judgement, let's just suppose it starts at Earth & makes a beeline for interstellar space, & that figure above is accurate, apparently.
12,161,300,000 miles in 31.5 hours?
That comes to about 172600 km/s (kilometers per second) or 0.5757c, meaning over half the speed of light.

Unsure if that's relevant, but I hope this info helps!

You can always write "At least [low-end], at most [high-end]".
That brings a question to my mind: Could you have such a character have unequalized speed if the opponent(s) fall(s) within their Speed Range?
After all, with certain "rolls" to get in some ranges, it could effectively land very close to, if not identical to certain speeds without equalization.

This is travel speed (and iirc only travel speed in outerspace, as I believe other similar creatures have their movement speeds separated), it generally does not influences combat.

This is travel speed (and iirc only travel speed in outerspace, as I believe other similar creatures have their movement speeds separated), it generally does not influences combat.
From what I understand in this site (And a mod could correct me), is that Combat Speed is considered equal to Travel Speed unless explicitly shown otherwise (Usually by being HIGHER, so a characters combat speed is at LEAST as high as their travel speed). This is because if that were not the case, if a character's reflexes could not match their travel speed, they'd be incapable of turning or maneuvering while in travel and would just repeatedly crash into everything on a repeated basis.

You can always write "At least [low-end], at most [high-end]".
And that was kind of the question. With how this site handles feats, do they except High-End to Low End's of THAT great a distance?

Back