• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Games and scaling question

I'm confused about how to scale stuff inside an RPG with minimal to no actual feat or statement directly shown.

Do we assume that within an RPG, there is already some sort of UES?

I'll do a bit of whataboutism but on the Wall of Flesh Profile, we get this justification as an AP rating :
Moon Level (Capable of sealing away the ancient spirits of light and darkness, preventing Solar Eclipses from occurring in the process)
Which is fine, but then when it comes to durability we get this :
Moon level (Comparable to Striking Strength)
Is there something special within the verse that allow this? Or is it the standard procedure for games like those?

I have a character within the verse I want to index that does something pretty similar to the explanation given inside the AP of the Wall of Flesh, but I don't know if it can be also imported to the durability section with just a "Comparable to Striking Strength" explanation.

Generally speaking, durability and attack potency scale to one another in terms of physicals unless we have a reason not to do so. Let's go through it step by step to show why.

Character A performs a feat of X tier (in this case, 5-C, Moon level) -> Character A hits Character B, who survives- they now can be considered to have 5-C durability -> Character C hits Character B and manages to defeat him/harm him/what have you, Character C now can be considered to have 5-C attack potency -> Character C attacks Character A (the Wall of Flesh in this instance) and the latter survives, thus giving Character A Moon level durability

And that cycle is more or less the entire basis of powerscaling. It's such a fundamental concept to the hobby that most people, I suspect, just passively assume it to be true, because in 99% of scenarios, it is.

Now, onto the more specific element of your question regarding a UES: no, it is not a default assumption, although it does not take much to conclude that some form of a UES is present. For example, most forms of magic (such as that from Terraria) work on a UES. This isn't really dependent on the games, we don't have any special policies regarding treatment of RPGs.

Generally case by case, but a lot of JRPGs also happen to be fairly convenient in which regardless of whether or not a full UES exists, it tends to be extremely consistent for characters to trade blows regardless of using physical or magical attacks which means various characters ends up having durability on par with the strongest magic spells even without a need for a UES as opposed to a Limited or Non-Physical energy system.

First, thank you both for your answers!
Generally speaking, durability and attack potency scale to one another in terms of physicals unless we have a reason not to do so. Let's go through it step by step to show why.

Character A performs a feat of X tier (in this case, 5-C, Moon level) -> Character A hits Character B, who survives- they now can be considered to have 5-C durability -> Character C hits Character B and manages to defeat him/harm him/what have you, Character C now can be considered to have 5-C attack potency -> Character C attacks Character A (the Wall of Flesh in this instance) and the latter survives, thus giving Character A Moon level durability
Now that you explain it like that, I feel kinda idiotic, ngl.

However, my case seems a bit more complicated than Terraria then. I'll try to make a summary quickly so that you can give me your thought on the matter if that's fine.

During a boss fight, the Demon King uses an attack/skill named "Harbinger of the Eclipse" which, just as shown, creates a lunar eclipse. It may be done with Telekinesis or sheer strength (Both are possible, but I'm leaning toward the first one since it would make sense in the narrative).
In a later chapter, we fight another demon which is stated to "have powers surpassing the Demon King's" making him therefore overall stronger than the Demon King.

Since the MC trade blows with the Demon King and the stronger Demon, can I use that justification to assume a "moon level durability" or is it a stretch?

Just in case my line of thought is : "Demon kind have a moon level feat/Can do a moon level feat thanks to his power => The Demon is said to have overall stronger powers than the Demon King => MC trade blows with the Demon and therefore scales to it"

In that case, I'm not sure if we can quite scale that to physicals without further details. Do the Demon King or the aforementioned stronger boss use their magic/telekinesis for attack purposes?

In that case, I'm not sure if we can quite scale that to physicals without further details. Do the Demon King or the aforementioned stronger boss use their magic/telekinesis for attack purposes?
Both the Demon King and the stronger boss use physical and/or magical attacks to damage the player. iirc there is a statement that in the future era, human civilization has advanced so much that they discovered telekinesis, which is what past people called "magic" once upon a time. I would have to double-check to be completely sure.

Edit : Telekinesis was magic FROM the Middle Ages.

The Demon King was sent to the past by the aforementioned "future civilization", if that can help.

Last edited:
Back