• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Accuracy vs Popularity

So, this is something I've wanted to do for a while, but apparently I never had the drive to do so till 11pm.

My issue is about Character's names (mostly coming from Anime/Manga) that are reported wrongly on the wiki, for the most part coming from mistranslations from Japanese, but use the wrong name due to it becoming more popular. Easy examples of this are Muhammad Avdol (which should obviously be "Abdul" instead), Erza Scarlet (Her name is explicitly shown written as "Elsa" with western characters in the manga), Bruno Bucciarati (comes from the word "Buccellati", a kind of south Italian pastry) and so on. There are probably countless examples of this.

At first I didn't really care much. In order to link these pages using the [[]] function, you need to accurately write down the page's name. Because most members would probably only know a character's most popular name, they might be unable to find the page if we changed its name to match its correct spelling. That is, until I remembered that redirects exit, and it's possible to have pages with the right spelling while still keeping the redirect with the popular name to let users find the page.

As such, I would propose to change characters' names whose name is reported wrongly, and create a redirect with the character's popular name. Aside from the above, other affected pages would be Light Yagami ("Raito" he explains how his name is pronounced when he speaks to Maki Shouto), Jellal Fernandes ("Gerard"), and others I'm just too tired to remember.

Back