• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

An inactive bureaucrat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
First of all, I would like to clarify that I have nothing whatsoever against Polar-kun. He is a perfectly nice person.

However, he has been extremely inactive for over a year, only returning every 4 months or so to make a few sparse edits, and he has never performed any administrative duties whatsoever.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Polar-ku

This is perfectly understandable, but it is completely unsuitable for one of the people with the greatest responsibilities for maintaining the wiki, and also leads to other problems.

I and Lord Kavpeny are worried that his complete disconnection from the VS Battles wiki leaves his judgement to appoint Admin candidates significantly impaired. Should he accidentally appoint completely unsuitable people as administrators, and then leave again, it could create complete chaos, destroy the VS Battles wiki as it is, and dissolve everything that we have worked so hard to build up.

Because of this we think that he should have his bureaucrat rights removed, but need community support for this suggestion to be implemented.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

(Note: This is important, so please avoid derailing the topic.)

Hmm, i think this is a bit of an over-reaction. I would leave him a message saying something like "when you return you must prove you know what is currently going on in the wiki", if they say ok, then leave their rights be.

I support this motion, particularly because I agree regarding Polar-kun's inability to judge suitable Admins due to his disconnect from VS Battles wiki. The potential damage an incorrect Admin decision, no matter how accidental or how short, makes me fear the worst.

Hence, I strongly support this.

i support this due to the fact that he is very inactive and unreliable and in all honesty and no disrespect he doesn't do much to help the community as of late possibly due to real life issues

although would it be worthy enough to somehow label him as a retired admin of some sort

@DC52

It isn't just about the risk that he causes damage, but that certainly factors into it.

For the past year, I have spent thousands of hours trying to improve and maintain the wiki, whereas he has done far less edits than most casual visitors, and hasn't helped out in any way whatsoever. This is completely unsuitable for somebody with the highest position this wiki has to offer.

Again, he is busy with real life, so that is fine, but it is nevertheless highly inappropriate, as he has done very little to earn his position.

In addition, there is the constant severe uncertainty that his presence brings. What if, for example, he decides to return one day to suddenly overhaul the entire VsBattles system that we voted on, and have worked hard to implement?

I am genuinely worried about having this potential threat constantly hanging over the wiki.

Just take away his ability to appoint not his administrative duties he's a busy dude & I understand what that can be like but he stuck with you guys this far at least he manages to come on once in a while. I just checked his message page and it turns out he only has internet access once every few months unless there is some type of quota he should be meeting I think you should leave him be. Plus this is the guy who brang you into the wiki as an admin it looks like that doesn't seem right imo...

Actually, the Wikia staff appointed me as an admin.

Also, taking away bureaucrat rights means taking away the ability to appoint other admins.

In addition, as I mentioned earlier, being a bureaucrat in this Wiki isn't just a right. It has to be earned as well.

This has my support.

My suggestion is that we demote him for until he has came back, and we know he's able to be trusted.

Because similar to GalaxianPyron, if someone hacks into his account they could do enormous damage, it's better not to risk it and demote him for the time being until he comes back, and we know he's good and well.

Nothing against Polar, but this is the best for the community. I support it.

Similar to Sheoth I have nothing against Polar but this is for the best as such you have my full support for it....

Also while the chances of this happening is almost non-existent I do wonder what would happen if Polar suddenly comes back today or tomorrow...

As you can see in the link above, he did come back a few days ago after a 4 month leave. Then he left again.

He is of course free to continue contributing to the wiki if he wishes to. We just don't want one of the people in charge of the development of the wiki to have helped out extremely little, and to risk to suddenly show up to implement massive changes without knowing what has been going on for a long time.

Anyway, thank you for your support.

@The Everlasting As far as I understand, he is busy with school work and social matters, and that is great, but it doesn't help us with our work here.

@Dekoshu Thanks

I support that, but I am with @Imago. If he returns and works hard once again, I think that he may have his position back.

Just my opinion tho.

Perhaps he could be kept on the staff page, with his own category as founder. Not as a position with power, just as a measure of respect for the wiki's history (which is why I was against removing him the last time the issue came up).

Perhaps he could be kept on the staff page, with his own category as founder. Not as a position with power, just as a measure of respect for the wiki's history (which is why I was against removing him the last time the issue came up).

Good idea.

@EliminatorVenom The point is that it should take a very great amount of hard work to earn a bureaucrat position in this active a wiki, and he has not ever put in that kind of effort. If he returns and constantly monitors the wiki for inaccurate additions, rules-breaking, and moderates discussions for 8000+ edits, then he would become a definite candidate, but as it is, he has not ever done so.

@Rib78 Polar-kun did not found the wiki. Galaxian Pyron did.

However, we are currently planning to keep him as a probational admin, just not as a bureaucrat who can appoint other admins.

I suppose that it could be an idea to keep a "former bureaucrats" section at the bottom of the staff page, but you will have to ask Lord Kavpeny about it later.

They brought him up to resolve what to do about Galaxian Pyron, not because they thought Polar-kun is this wiki's founder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back