• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Being able to communicate with animals - Automatic Translation?

AKM sama

Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
I noticed that we don't have an ability page for characters who can understand the language of certain kinds of animals and talk to them in their language.

For example, Tarzan (Disney) can communicate with gorillas and Ferb Fletcher can communicate with dolphins. Yet they have no ability like this listed in their pages, and I am sure there may be more examples like these. I think being able to communicate with animals should get an ability page.

Either that or maybe it could be incorporated in a similar, yet different page we have. The current Automatic Translation page states:
Automatic Translation is the ability to understand and utilize verbal or non-verbal communication without any prior knowledge of the language.
The page doesn't talk about communicating with animals and states that there should be no prior knowledge of the language. Maybe it could be modified in such a way that it also includes the "communicating with animals" bit and some characters do learn their languages. But if people don't want to change this page, then I guess we can follow option 1 and create a new page.

It may also be notable that some considered Animal Manipulation for this, if my memory serves. Although, I, personally, am not 100% sure if Animal Manipulation is fitting for this.

Animal Manipulation won't be fitting seeing how it is controlling the animals to do ones bidding by some sort of effect or force. Which is not the same as simply being able to communicate with them.

I really think this should be its own page.
As its name says, Automatic Translation simply isn't something that covers it as it's not automatic and unlike it, it depends on the actual knowledge of the user on the respective language like any other.

I'll still ask, however...
What about characters that suddendly understand animal language by somehow transforming into one? Note that in this case such language knowledge isn't carried over when back to "normal".

I also believe this should be its own power.

As for turning into an animal to understand like Bob said, I think it'd still be fair to list this if it got its own page.

A separate page seems more appropriate than including it in automatic translation, yes. The latter ability does not require learning, and is far more extreme in its scope.

I really think this should be its own page.
As its name says, Automatic Translation simply isn't something that covers it as it's not automatic and unlike it, it depends on the actual knowledge of the user on the respective language like any other.

I'll still ask, however...
What about characters that suddendly understand animal language by somehow transforming into one? Note that in this case such language knowledge isn't carried over when back to "normal".
Could be split into types of animal communications ig, after all depending on the verse all animals can understand each other while in others it isn't the case

So anybody willing to write a draft for the page in question?

Wouldn't be better to just change automatic translation and turn it into a page for uncommon communication abilities in general?
Ranging from automatic translation to being able to speak with animals, plants or even non-sentient objects and whatever other form of communication is displayed.

No. The two abilities are fundamentally different in terms of function and scale. I do not think that it is a good idea. Sorry.

Ok, I understand.

But what about extending the new page to the ability of communicate with all form of non-human things? I think there are characters that can talk with plants, inorganic things (more or less sentient) or other types of lesser creatures that are not humans nor animals, like monsters or similar.

And talking to animals using human language would still count for this power?
And the opposite situation, in which an animal can understand human language but not reply with it?

I can see the page extending to plants and inorganic things. But not so much about the reverse.

Well, I meant that the page can also cover being able to communicate with plants and other inorganic objects instead of only animals. But I don't think we need a page for animals that can understand human language but can't speak it.

Iirc, Automatic Translation is supposed to cover any form of multilingualism (reason why I suggested to name it in a similar fashion), so it also cover zoolingualism and xenolingualism.

Some verses don't generalize all languages animals do in the same way human language is quite variable, so I would recommend just something like "Multi-lingualism" or so, with the respective extra language(s) being specified on each case's profile.

Someone with Multilingualism do not have to known all language, that would be Omnilingualism, is just that, if the character known several languages or a few non-standard ones, is used to redirect it there.

Iirc, Automatic Translation is supposed to cover any form of multilingualism (reason why I suggested to name it in a similar fashion), so it also cover zoolingualism and xenolingualism.
Problem with that is it is the ability to understand and utilize verbal or non-verbal communication without any prior knowledge of the language. Which is not the same as someone like Tarzan or Ferb who learn the languages of other animals.

So Automatic Translation works more like Language Assimilation, isn't it? If people if fine with that, then characters that normally known the "language" simply do not qualify.

Mm, I rather suggest simply changing its name to Multilingualism, and as an possible application Language Assimilation (of course there's other forms of understanding, writing and speaking languages, such telepathy, [nigh] omniscience, genetic memory, or simply the character studied).

I think that AKM's solution seems most practical.

We need to come up with a draft for the page first.

Yes. Agreed. Feel free to send notifications to members who you think could help out if you wish.

As the person who first proposed it to have its own page, Automatic Translation is inherently a supernatural ability. It does not not cover things dealing with intelligence or knowledge.

It's not simply understanding language or having learned a language over a period of time.

The examples in the OP really should just be mentioned in the intelligence section and left at that imo.

Wouldn't be better to just change automatic translation and turn it into a page for uncommon communication abilities in general?
Ranging from automatic translation to being able to speak with animals, plants or even non-sentient objects and whatever other form of communication is displayed.
This is my bet
We could have automatic translation get types (maybe one based for speaking other human languages and others for understanding innately animal languages)

This is my bet
We could have automatic translation get types (maybe one based for speaking other human languages and others for understanding innately animal languages)
The proposed examples aren't powers though, they're just being multilingual. Therefore they aren't automatic translation.

After all, the power is called "Automatic Translation" because it's not just learning another language. It's an ability that translates for you.

If you want to make multilingual a page, it should be its own page.

Edit:

Someone like Eliza from Wild Thornberrys actually would qualify for it though.

I prefer to keep it as part of the intelligence section in that case.

Multilinguism is an intelligence feat, Automatic Translation (Via a device or something) or talking to something else is an ability.

Back