• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best/most tragic characters for every tier

Felix Argyle for a spot on 10-B too.

Again another spoiler warning.

From birth, he had cat like features due to his ancestors having Demi Human blood, both his parents were humans so they both suspected the other of having an affair. As a result, his parents mistreated him and he was locked in a basement for the first nine years of his life where he was barely cared for.

The basement had no light, his parents never spoke to him, and when he was found by Crusch, she said he was a fragile boy who was painfully thin, was black from being covered in dirt and filth, and couldn't talk properly.

Crusch took him to the Karsten Mansion to be cared for and he was able to speak properly after being taken care of at the Karsten Mansion but because he had spent nine years without human contact, his speech was damaged, hence why he speaks in a cat like manner.

He became friends with Fourier, who was the former fourth prince of Lugnica and Crusch's childhood friend, but his daddy Bean took Crusch hostage so he could get to him.

He wanted Felix to resurrect his wife, whom he had stabbed to death repeatedly in a fit of rage because he thought she blamed him for everything that had happened.

Felix's friend Fourier died of an unknown sickness afflicting the royal family, and later on Crusch got absolutely rekt by Regulus and Ley, her memories got eaten so she doesn't even remember Felix, as if wasn't bad enough Crusch got screwed over again later when she got poisoned and Felix couldn't heal despite him a healer, so of course he was very depressed about his ability to do nothing.

Crusch has been through some stuff, Julius Juukulius too, so many Re Zero characters in tragic situations.

Po (Kung Fu Panda) for 8-C

He lived a happy life, but until one day he was forced out from the village due to Lord Shen before he can say goodbye to his father, watched his village burn and his mother die right in front of him, he was forced into a radish box and swept away, never to see his former home until 30 years

For 3-A i'd say put D (VHD)

He lost everything he gave a **** about, and outlives everyone around him. Its to a point where he no longer tries to make human connections as he knows they'll die soon and he'll keep on living. Dude lives a pretty lonely life (Lefty doesn't count he's just a parasite that airs out his repressed thoughts)

For Low 2-C put Makoto Yuki / Femc

Dude literally goes from being suicidal due to having nothing to gaining friends that appreciate and accept him. Then when something threatens to take that away he gives his life for their protection

For High 1-B throw in The Numidium

The Numidium is a metaphorical expression for the concept of Solipsism, the philsophy that all things are non existent for the mind can only affirm it's own existence. Things only "Exist" or feel "real" because the mind percieves it to be, yet the mind cannot know for it can only go off what perspective gives it. The mind itself knows it exists, but other minds existing is just unaffirmable perspective.

For 8-B I think Characters from Berserk should go there not just Guts

Casca was sold away by her family but saved by Griffith, falling in love with him in the process. After seeing herself being replaced by Guts she goes apeshit and takes it out on the guy, only to come to rely on him later and fall in love with him in place of Griffith. Having finally found love, she is later subjected to the eclipse and her mind is destroyed by Griffith's rape.

Griffith is a tragic figure of his own as well. He and Guts are one in the same, they both face the same challenges yet deal with it differently. Guts confronted and spoke about his trauma, while Griffith bottled up, repressing it behind the facade of a "Hero." I can go into so much more detail but I that would go on for way too long.

AogiriKira said:

Dude literally goes from being suicidal due to having nothing to gaining friends that appreciate and accept him. Then when something threatens to take that away he gives his life for their protection
literally just an abridged version of what I said above. :p

DarkGrath said:
AogiriKira said:

literally just an abridged version of what I said above. :p
Oh hey wife. Didn't see you there.

Is our baby sleeping?

Pretty sure Dante had it very rough and still takes everyday with a smile and willing to help those that need him.

I will go into detail tomorrow as here is late

For High 8-C put Shin Godzilla

You'll understand if you listen to "Who will know (tragedy)" and decipher the meanings.

5-B (wherever you wanna put him.) Darth Vader. He lost literally everything so he could save his Wife and unborn child, including his arms and legs. He was only redeemed after sacrificing his own life to save his son, Luke.

7-A: Siegfried (Soulcalibur). He was completely corrupted into becoming Nightmare because Soul Edge promised it would bring his father back after he had accidentally murdered him. After being freed from Soul Edge he sought redemption and finally managed to defeat Nightmare.

Homura Akemi for 2-a

She basically threw away her life for the only perso who was nice to her, resigning herself to being trapped in an endless time loop if it meant she would eventually be able to save her, realising that everything she's doing is just making things worse and eventually failing when the one she's trying to protect becomes a law of physics

Then when kyubey experiments on her to change the universe back to how it used to be, she tries to kill herself, fails and when madoka comes to take her to heaven, homura drags her down, becomes the devil and locks away madoka's goddess powers, all in an attempt to protect her

So now she's the devil of her verse, hates herself for what she's done, believes she and madoka will become enemies some day and feels she has eternally destroyed her relationship with her friend/lover

I feel Flowey/Asriel should have a spot in 2-B

After dying originally, he came back as a soulless being incapable of feeling love and no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't form genuine connections with anyone anymore, even his own parents. He became so unhappy in this state, that he tried taking his own life, only to become frightened at the last moment and activate his SAVE and LOAD abilities. He had gained the ability to rewind time, and he used it like any good person would have at first, to help others, but as time went on he realized that people just repeated themeselves, they started to feel less like real individuals and more like scripted actors, which allowed Flowey to forgo the moral burden of his actions and kill everyone just out of sheer curiosity

Often tragic backstories are given just to make a character more sympathetic, and they often come off as a character consciously deciding their actions are justified because the bad things that have happened to them. Flowey is interesting because he isn't commiting evil actions as a direct response to his experiences, his experiences has just left him in a state where he doesn't assign the same values to being good or evil anymore, and is easily compelled to commit evil acts without being held back by morality. More notably Flowey's origin serves as a direct parallel to the player, who also views the people he kills as fictional and possesses a power that seemingly absolves him of any lasting consequences; while it is true that he's just playing a game, it is possible to view these actions as a representation of someone commiting horrible acts just because they are detached from the person its affecting and because they don't feel responsibility, and Flowey is a major factor in creating this perspective.

Flowey has a very interesting and well thought out origin and how it allows the player of the game to view their own actions in a different light and gain new perspective by seeing what happened to him, is a mark of great writing in particular

People are probably gonna disagree but...

Zeref Dragneel for High 6-A

His entire family got murdered by dragons basically infront of him. Studied magic day and night for years to find a way to restore his dead brother, only to get cursed by God. Said curse is uncontrolable and kills everything around him as long as he holds onto the value of human life. After being ostrichsized by most of humanity he began a long 400 year life of torment and lonliness in which he creates many demons and eventually his own brother for the sole purpose of killing himself all of which completely failed. During said time gap he met a woman named Mavis who he taught magic to. But due to her using an unfinished spell he taught her, she also became cursed by God. He eventually fell in love with Mavis due to her being the only one who could understand him, but due the nature of his curse he even took her life as well. Which drove him deeper into his dispair and insanity.

Anne and Sion for High 7A

Anne was forced into the role of humanitys savior despite being on the verge of mental break down, had to kill her only family member/closest person in her life and is more or less indirectly responsible for the genocide of human populations across multiple planets, further fanning into her already damaged psyche. Lost the next closest friend, had to confront the mother of said friend with the message that both her children died, was repremanded the moment she showed weakness due to the extreme pressure due to the upcoming war and already suffers from fear of human death, every human death took a big toll on her psyche. She fought an entire war alone while being irradiated, having multiple broken bones and ripped muscles and she nearly killed herself in the end due to the emotional stress she endured. And all of this in a single arc mind you lol.

Sion on the other hand was the bastard child of a homuncolus and a nameless human, the homuncolus being royality in name. Due to that she was drawn into successionconflicts and imprisoned for her unclean blood. Constantly ostracized by the family, only her appointed female guardian gave her the love a child needs, while her other guardian hated her, conforming to the opinion the family has on Sion. She trained in the art of the sword to protect her family despite that, but was quickly send away after wrecking the next successor of the family due to conflicts. She was send to suicide missions (She is still a kid at this point mind you) together with her guardians, further fanning the hatred of the male one. After finally proving herself enough she received her own planet as her kingdom. All was well until said planet was attacked, her kingdom eradicated and everyone under her dead. Drafted into another war, she swallowed her wish for revenge and instead helped another planet on the verge of collapse. She sacrificed everything in her might to protect the planet, chained her guardians to it because of various reasons and was frozen to save her life. Years later, she was thawed to protect the planet once more, but due to another member of her troup a city was devastated in the process. Her female guardian, now a mother, was killed in the process. Sion took the entire blame, else the Knight Order would have to, for political reasons. So now the sons of her Guardians hate her, the husband who was a war comrade before her freezing plans to use her as a sacrifice to make the planet independent, the male guardian vowed to kill her and the entire population sees her as the sole reason for their misery, as the planet was once again dragged into war.

I'm not going to add him to every tier he is in after explicitly saying that I add characters for only one tier they are in.

Ok I'm gonna explain now why Wander (Shadow of The Colossus) should be 1st in 8-C

He travelled to this forbidden land to resurrect his (presumed) lover. To do so, knowing what he'd have to do, he stole the magic sword, hence some guys want to get it back. He made a deal with Dormin, the demon, to defeat all the colossi in order to bring back Mono (presumed lover). Despite a warning from Dormin that he may have to pay a great price to revive Mono, Wander sets out to search the land for the colossi and destroy them. In a sequence after the eighth colossus is slain, a deterioration of Wander's body is shown clearly: his skin becoming paler, his hair darker, and dark streaks growing across his face. Also in the sequence, Wander envisions as if in a dream that Mono awakens and calls out to him, yet as he attempts to approach her, he is quickly dragged away. Meanwhile, Mono's complexion improves and her voice can be faintly heard after each colossus has been killed. After the death of the twelfth, it is revealed that Wander is being pursued by a group of warriors led by Lord Emon.

Wander goes on to defeat the final colossus, and Emon's company arrives at the Shrine of Worship just as the last idol crumbles; Wander appears soon afterwards, his eyes and skin now both entirely pale and two small horns protruding from his head. Declaring that Wander has been "possessed by the dead", Lord Emon orders his warriors to kill him. While he struggles to reach Mono, one warrior shoots Wander in the leg with a crossbow while another stabs him through his heart with a sword. Black blood sprays from the wound as Wander's body becomes covered in darkness and falls to the floor — a death identical to those suffered by the colossi.

Apparently he was tricked by Dormin. Dormin's spirit possesses Wander's body, transforming it into a shadowy giant. Dormin, now speaking in its masculine voice, explains that Lord Emon's ancestors had separated it into sixteen segments in order to seal away its power "for an eternity". While his men flee, Lord Emon casts the Ancient Sword into a small pool at the back of the shrine's hall, creating a whirlwind of light that consumes Dormin, and despite the player's ability to control his attempts to escape, ultimately Wander is sucked in as well. Emon and his men flee the Forbidden Lands as the bridge connecting to the temple collapses behind them. As they safely arrive at the entrance to the Forbidden Lands, Emon expresses hope that if Wander survived, he will someday be able to atone for his crimes.

In the Shrine of Worship, Mono awakens, restored by Dormin in accordance with its agreement with Wander, and Agro(Wander's horse) limps into the shrine with an injured hind leg. Mono follows her to the pool into which Wander and Dormin were pulled by Emon's spell, finding a male infant with tiny horns on his head. The sad part is Mono doesnt have any idea who Wander is and has no recollection about him

It's not a top, I wrote it in OP

So it's not in order, just him being below Akaza doesn't mean he is... less tragic?

Aight woke up so i'll explain why Shin Goji belongs for HIgh 8-C

"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy." This is a qoute from the creator of Godzilla

This is something that is heavily expressed in Shin Godzilla as well. Goji was the result of nuclear waste being poured out into the ocean, mutating into a giant monster as a result of their irresponsibility. He grows and grows, eventually making landfall inadvertently destroing everything in his path as he walks along and evolves. He does this not by choice, but it is simply a result of his monstrous size and strength. Humanity is forced to defend itself, and Goji is as well. He was damned to be destroyed from the very start. Another thing to note: Everytime Goji roars in that movie he is in pain.

To further my analysis to really hammer this point home, well look at Goji's song "Who Will Know." Its a song that takes place from his perspective.

"If I die in this world, who will know something of me? I am lost, no one knows, theres no trace of my yearning." - This expresses what I said earlier, how Goji didn't choose to destroy but it kept happening due to him being to big and too strong. If he dies no one will know his struggles, no one will know the "real" him, all they will see if he dies is a monster being put down. However destroy more and more is all he can do here, as his body kept evolving into larger forms and the humans forcing him to defend himself. They do not know Godzilla, so they fear him. Kind of like a Lovecraftian fear of the unknown. He exists as the one and only of his kind, not understood by any others.

"But I must carry on. Nothing worse can befall. All my fears, all my tears, tell my heart there's a hole." - So this verse introduces a much more raw and tough masculine voice, as opposed to the previous somber and feminine voice. This verse tells of his anger, and how it cant get very much worse than this with the humans trying to destroy him simply for existing. Even if he doesn't want it he must continue on and fight if he is to live. It's his only choice.

"I wear a void. Not even hope. A downward slope, is all I see." - Godzilla has lost all hope for the future, seeing only a decline as he continues to fight and live. He knows peace is now impossible, and even if he keeps going on he will one day face death.

"As long as breath comes from my mouth. I may yet stand the slightest chance. "A shaft of light is all I need, to cease the darkness killing me." - So this may or may not be alluding to his Atomic Breath (Fun fact this song was first played in his Atomic Breath scene.) But eitherway it expresses his other side of his thoughts as he continues on. He's lost all hope but maybe if he continues to fight and destroy he might stand a chance to ward off the humans destroying him. He can only save himself by destroying more.

Tony di bugalu said:
Pretty sure Dante had it very rough and still takes everyday with a smile and willing to help those that need him.
For starters, Dante at some point in his life saw how his dad leaved the family to never come back, at the age of 8, some time after his birthday saw how his whole family was destroyed.

Mundus, the demon sparda sealed 2000 years ago "revived" and sought revenge. He send his demons to find and kill the traitor but only found Eva, Vergil and Dante.

His Mother died while searching for his brother, telling him to forget everything from his past, change his life, his name and lose his identity.

Some time later he was working as a mercenary, a way to gain life again with a new name "Tony Redgrave". During this time he had friends, and a woman that acted as a mother for him, called Neil Goldstein. But Mundus wasn't done with him.

With the knowledge of the existence of the sons of Sparda, Mundus created an armor with the data he had of Vergil, Sparda and Dante.

With this new demon on play Dante's life would change again. Gilver, killed Neil, and his friends, condemning him as an outcast, someone who was a low life and a monster. People who once could be called friends now called now cursed him.

Some time after that a person who he thought dead was again in his life, his brother Vergil, but something had changed with him.

One year later his brother came back, impaled him in the top of a demonic tower and left with his pendant, the only thing he had form his mother.

In one night he had to fight demons, a human and his brother learning at the same time that protecting humanity was important, so much that he had to defeat his brother and leave him on the brink of death only to lose him in the demon world.

There he learned that even "a Devil May Cry when they lose a loved one"

10 years later a beautiful woman showed in his shop with a job for him, one that would help to solidify his personality. The woman was a demon created to look exactly like his mother, to get close to him and to finally kill him.

The job was simple, kill the Demon God who destroyed his family 20 years ago, Mundus. The job was in an island that Mundus was using to create another door to the Demon world.

Dante traveled there and fought the generals Mundus had but one of them was different, it had "honor", something Dante liked and thought it was being wasted on Mundus but what he didn't know was that Nelo Angelo was his brother, Vergil, corrupted and traped by Mundus as another slave to his plans.

Dante was forced to kill him and learned the truth after Nelo droped his own pendant, giving him a new power he went to fight Mundus only to be betrayed by the demon who looked like his mother, later that same demon "died" protecting him thus leaving to the "legendary battle" that would mark the beginning end for this time in his life.

He didn't kill Mundus and he was weakened, both would have died but Trish came back to give him her power so he could seal back the Demon Lord and keep him there for the rest of his life.

There is more but this is a long ass rant.

AogiriKira said:
Aight woke up so i'll explain why Shin Goji belongs for HIgh 8-C

"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy." This is a qoute from the creator of Godzilla

This is something that is heavily expressed in Shin Godzilla as well. Goji was the result of nuclear waste being poured out into the ocean, mutating into a giant monster as a result of their irresponsibility. He grows and grows, eventually making landfall inadvertently destroing everything in his path as he walks along and evolves. He does this not by choice, but it is simply a result of his monstrous size and strength. Humanity is forced to defend itself, and Goji is as well. He was damned to be destroyed from the very start. Another thing to note: Everytime Goji roars in that movie he is in pain.

To further my analysis to really hammer this point home, well look at Goji's song "Who Will Know." Its a song that takes place from his perspective.

"If I die in this world, who will know something of me? I am lost, no one knows, theres no trace of my yearning." - This expresses what I said earlier, how Goji didn't choose to destroy but it kept happening due to him being to big and too strong. If he dies no one will know his struggles, no one will know the "real" him, all they will see if he dies is a monster being put down. However destroy more and more is all he can do here, as his body kept evolving into larger forms and the humans forcing him to defend himself. They do not know Godzilla, so they fear him. Kind of like a Lovecraftian fear of the unknown. He exists as the one and only of his kind, not understood by any others.

"But I must carry on. Nothing worse can befall. All my fears, all my tears, tell my heart there's a hole." - So this verse introduces a much more raw and tough masculine voice, as opposed to the previous somber and feminine voice. This verse tells of his anger, and how it cant get very much worse than this with the humans trying to destroy him simply for existing. Even if he doesn't want it he must continue on and fight if he is to live. It's his only choice.

"I wear a void. Not even hope. A downward slope, is all I see." - Godzilla has lost all hope for the future, seeing only a decline as he continues to fight and live. He knows peace is now impossible, and even if he keeps going on he will one day face death.

"As long as breath comes from my mouth. I may yet stand the slightest chance. "A shaft of light is all I need, to cease the darkness killing me." - So this may or may not be alluding to his Atomic Breath (Fun fact this song was first played in his Atomic Breath scene.) But eitherway it expresses his other side of his thoughts as he continues on. He's lost all hope but maybe if he continues to fight and destroy he might stand a chance to ward off the humans destroying him. He can only save himself by destroying more.

God damn. For some reason that hit me in the feels.

Back