• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Black Flame Jason Voorhees minor upgrades + possible revisions

Jason needs Immortality type 8 as Gretchen explains that Jason will always exist as long as violence exists. Pasted directly from the novel.
"But that wasn't how Gretchen saw it. "He lives off the violence in our souls," she had told them. "All our hate and spite and fear. He feels it. He's a product of it. He's not a person anymore, not the way that you or I are, he's all the bad things in our nature. If we think of violence, even if it's just because we live in fear of it, then he's never far away." - (244)

And likely Soul manipulation. The end of the novel also has him ripping that same girl's soul out and taking her to hell, knocking her unconscious.
"But, as she was dragged into the mirror by her hair, there was no pain, merely a sensation of lightness. Of being taken out of her physical surroundings. Of freefall.

Gretchen imagined herself being drawn rapidly toward the ground, and then into the very earth itself. But her descent did not end there. She found herself tumbling slowly, as if toward the gravitational pull of the earth's core. Down through vast underground vistas of rock. Mountain, cliffs and ravines. Down past escarpments and plateaus that contained hundreds and thousands of bickering, arguing, fighting people.

As she descended to the very bottom of their pit of misery, she thought of a line from her old literary studies: "I had not thought death had undone so many."

As she fell to the bottom, she could see the baying faces that waited for her. The screaming faces of the killers and the rapists who had terrorized her and her friends. The gloating face of that sleazebag Ed North. And the terrible, hideous visage of Jason Voorhees" - (262)
Also, I don't know what this would grant, but Hell Lake establishes that time is frozen in hell but Jason and everyone else in hell can freely move. Immeasurable speed Jason? Time Manipulation resistance?

Indeed, it may have taken years. All sense of time was an irrelevance, something that belonged to the past they were trying to reclaim. All that motivated was the desire for freedom and revenge, the lust to kill, and the will to survive. Beside that, all earthly things, particularly time, could no longer be said to exist (110)
He raised his left arm enough to see that the Mickey Mouse watch he'd worn at his execution, en route to what he believed would be the Disneyland of hell, was functioning in the water. In hell, it had been a redundant prop, its time frozen at the moment of his death. But now he could read the time and date and see that it was close to the end of the day, nearly midnight, on Friday the 13th of January 2006. (115)
-
Furthermore, I don't believe Black Flame Jason should be kept separate at all, or at least most of it can easily be incorporated into the main profile.
Church of the Divine Psychopath
In this thread, it's "canon issue" was... clothes. I mean the films themselves aren't super consistent with Jason's appearance. Part 9 Jason dies in coveralls with a severely damaged hockey mask, FvJ Jason is inexplicably in a jacket and slacks with a fresh mask. Chris Higgins in Part 3 had a previous encounter with Jason but recalled him in his Part 3 workshirt and slacks rather than the Part 2 coveralls, despite him having only switched the look days prior. His damaged eye switches sockets. Also, to my knowledge, the novel doesn't explicitly describe his appearance beyond saying he's in a jerkin
Besides that, the novel has nothing to give a definitive placement on the timeline. It could take place during Hell Lake, which has Jason gone for long periods of time, it could take place between 8 and 9, or some time after FvJ
Hell Lake
Most damningly, BF Jason is currently considered a separate continuity with HKR replacing Part 8 on the timeline. Except the novel does reference the events of Part 8
But he was enthralled to eavesdrop on all their stories about Jason. About Camp Blood, and all the poor little teenage cuties that got sliced and diced there. About how the bloodbath was supposedly started by Jason's mom, before she got offed and her li'l boy took over. How the murders spread out from the hicksville town where they first took place, with sightings of Jason, the deformed butcher in the mask, as far away as New York City. All the stories about how the sucker had been stabbed, shot, run through by harpoon guns, drowned, generally kicked in the ass, folded, spindled, mutilated, but had never been killed. - (16)
Another issue was apparently how hell was presented. Hell Lake has Jason amongst every other killer in history. FvJ has him isolated in a pseudo-Camp Crystal Lake. I would agree this is a contradiction, but the final novel Carnival of Maniacs references FvJ and that Tommy Jarvis even wrote a book about it.
Luke got up and went over to browse through the books. There were hundreds of them and they were all about murder, specifically the Crystal Lake Murders. On one shelf alone he saw:

Jason Voorhees—Fact or Fiction?

Camp Crystal Lake—The Bloody Truth.

The Man Behind the Machete.

The Springwood Copycat Killer.

Who's Afraid of the Water?

Mommy Made Him Do It.

Six other books had all been written by some cash-in merchant named Thomas Jarvis. (96)
So FvJ hell would have to be canon to BF hell. Could just be that that section of hell was designed to trick Jason as he does pretty easily come back to life when Freddy commands him to.
Also, the novel has a confirmed date of 2006 and takes place over a month or so. The original CRT also treated the novels as taking place in chronological release order, which is not the case as Carnival of Maniacs has a given date of 2005 and HKR is a prequel to Part 9.

Hate-Kill-Repeat
The most troublesome one. If we wish to keep HKR canon with Hell Lake, this WOG
I consciously placed HKR on the existing F13th movie timeline, to please fans, myself included. It took place after my favourite sequel Friday The 13th VII: The New Blood, and rather ignored the fun-but-not-so-great follow-up Friday The 13th VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. The title Hate-Kill-Repeat came from seeing a DVD sleeve for some low-budget monster movie which carried a tagline something like 'Mate. Feed. Destroy'. It was no doubt also influenced by Slipknot's early album Mate Feed Kill Repeat - guess I just started thinking about what Jason's equivalent routine would be. The 'Hate' part was important to me, as I was keen to keep Jason emotional (specifically, shot through with negative emotion), rather than some lumbering zombie. Kane Hodder's portrayal of Jason (from The New Blood to Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday) was for me by far the best, imbuing him with a real sense of livid rage. I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I hope new-guy Derek Mears delivers some of that.
could mean that HKR doesn't necessarily decanonize Part 8, but doesn't care to factor its events into the novel, which would make sense since he wanted to make the fans happy by keeping it in the timeline. Besides that, this isn't too bad if you can accept Jason suffered another off-screen defeat that put him in the lake some time between Part 7 and 9.
Jason Strain
The novel AFAIK has no set date or anything that would help an idea of such. Much like the comics, the events are also self contained so it could take place between 7 and 9 or Post-FvJ.
Carnival of Maniacs
Besides the strange nature of Jason requiring moon light to function in this novel, which Pamela vaguely handwaves as him being "sick" somehow. The events are also self contained and could easily fit in canon. The novel does have an open ending with Pamela heading to reunite with Jason, but he did kill another woman possessed by Pamela earlier on. It's entirely possible this happened again following the novel.
And now, in the year 2005, those same rhythms, those same primal drums, were charging the night with mystery. Still distant, still veiled in darkness and spurring men on to deeds of fanatical devotion, still invoking the menace of the most feared and misunderstood religion in the world. For when the three rada drums spoke aloud, in this derelict building on the northern outskirts of Buffalo, NY, Michelle Kyler heard the unmistakable voice of vodou. (96)

-
The novels barring maybe HKR can all be merged with the main profile, so canon Jason would have teleportation, weapon summoning, his more extensive resurrective power, telepathy plus the abilities I brought up. Or we could treat HKR Jason as its own separate continuity entirely diverging from 7, though to my knowledge, he only really has the added fear manip as his stats are pretty much the same.

Back