• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Brain Unglaus tries to challenge the Stray God

Yato (Noragami) takes on Brain Unglaus. I won't equalize speed because the difference shouldn't suffice for a full-on blitz and Brain seems to have a significant AP and Durability advantage.

Who would win?

Yato
A literal God.

Brain Unglaus
The strongest still living swordsman in the Kingdom, a threat even to heroes.

This is a pretty good match up at first glance. Now I don't know much about Noragami at all but.

• Divine Possession: Yato is able to possess people and has full control over their mind and actions during this time. Those he possesses have a small glowing crown above their head (only visible to those who believe in the supernatural) and have their eye color change to match his.
Is that applicable here? can he just make brain kill himself? Without dying himself I mean.

If not I'm leaning more towards brain just because of his martial arts. That'll be the deal breaker here. Yatos experience stops this from being conclusive to me right now though. So I'll need more input from others.

He never uses it in combat afaik, and seems to require the person to have a personal connection to him. Also, Yato is a warrior god who's fought for rather long, so wouldn't he still have the edge on skill?

Mand21 said:
He never uses it in combat afaik, and seems to require the person to have a personal connection to him. Also, Yato is a warrior god who's fought for rather long, so wouldn't he still have the edge on skill?
Thats what I mean, Yatos experience trumps Brains by far but Brain's martial arts I still think gives him the edge. Especially with his newer Nail Clipper move. Yato doesn't have anything like that to use on Brain from what I can see.

Still, though I could be wrong, this is a good match up.

This sort of reminds me of instances where Fire Emblem characters go against characters that are more skilled fighters and are comparable in strength but are more realistic and don't have anything like the skills the fire emblem characters have. The video game like skills they have give them the advantage.

Brain's scaling is taking him to baseline 8-C soon, not sure if that changes the situation here.

I don't think Yato can even harm Brain to begin with if he isn't well into 9-A, though.

Plus, like I said, Brain's profile is getting reworked to baseline 8-C.

Yato's main focus is cutting well. All his weapons take form of blades regardless of their personality. His signature ability is cutting connections between souls, and his orginal purpose is to "Cull the herd". Even if he can't oneshot a bigger building which is debatable (he has to constantly use magic to prevent wrecking the terrain accidentally, and that accidental damage in anime was 9-A if i remember correctly) for sure he can harm resistant targets.

Yato — 1 (Szmiit)

Brain — 2 (Jugger47 and Dargoo Faust)

What feat made Brain 8-C, Dargoo? I'd be interested on seeing that CRT. Anyways, yeah, Yato is pretty well into 9-A if his self-restraint makes him 9-A.

Yato (Noragami) vs Army of Heavens part 1
Yato (Noragami) vs Army of Heavens part 1

Yato (Noragami) vs Army of Heavens part 2
Yato (Noragami) vs Army of Heavens part 2

I just remembered this. This os oneshot against army of heavens. That is 8-B or even 8-A tier atack power. Adequate since he tried to maximize damage in that scene and his restraining magic doesn't stop AP, just Atack Range. The page should be probably be updated.

Mand21 said:
What feat made Brain 8-C, Dargoo? I'd be interested on seeing that CRT
There wasn't a CRT.

I brought up how the 9-A+ feat was performed by a character who scales far below Brain, and is a hair's length away from 8-C, this Brain should at least be in 8-C. This was discussed in the general discussion threads if you want to follow.

@Smiit The might be better talk for a CRT.

I think that Brain takes this. His martial arts allow him to match and briefly surpass Yato's speed, and give him enough precision to make full use of his strength advantage.

CRT and calc were done months ago and still wait for something. I also dont think Brain can hurt him seriously since only supernatural beeings can hurt him in canon and he literaly ignores wounds from mortals. (See the clip)

Have we seen him kill incorporials? All supernatural beeings in Noragami have some incorporial trates. If anybody in Overlorld killed a ghost that would indicate that it is possible. Any life drain, insta kill skill probably would work too.

Wraiths and shadow demons do exist so its possible ... but New World natives are trash so its unlikely they managed to kill one outside of hero level characters who run some magic weapons.

I see Brain losing either way. Yato has the speed advantage (amps help close it), invisible restraints, mind manip, teportation and barriers. If Brain can't actually put him down, or even incap, then an otherwise good match because a stomp which is rather sad.

I mean, Brain with Martial Arts can hurt 6C characters, causing surprise on their faces. He would laughtably one-shot aiming to the vital organs (and probably to anything that is part of Yato's body). And nothing on Yato's file indicates he's intangible and even more non-corporeal.

Looking at the video posted above, how exactly was that incorporeal? Normal things were hurting Yato just fine so if Brain lands Nailclipper he can possibly incap. He won't go for it so quickly though, which puts it in Yato's favor with speed, restraints, mind manip. teleport and barriers.

I did not say he has incorporeality, on the contrary, answering the Schmitz's claims, I doubted that statement Yato's partial intangible nature, since his profile lacking of it.

No, if Brain lands Nailclipper, he would oneshot to the holy oblivion. Speed difference is irrelevant, giving that Yato's andvantage is utterly miserable. Moreover, Brain can speed amp himself, if that matters. Brain's Field which gives him Extrasensory Perception, counters all of his tricks you listed, most of which are non-combat applicable, or Yato in-character refrains from using in a sword fight (i think?). He just walks into Brain's Field and then suddenly finds himself dead, thats how it would play out.

If Yato doesn't use those IC and Brain counts as supernatural for the purpose of countering the regen, then yeah, Gazef-Lite should win.

Yato doesn't use teleportation usually (needs some kind of channel), but never used possesion only because he fights ghosts and gods, and constantly uses distant atacks and barriers.

Belyompusct said:
I mean, Brain with Martial Arts can hurt 6C characters, causing surprise on their faces
wat

If you're talking about Shalltear she was more weirded out by him, and we don't count chip damage as an actual feat of hurting a character.

Brain was able to resist mind manipulation from Shalltear's vampire brides which were approximately five-to-ten levels above him without much difficulty, so Yato's possesion has a good chance of being resisted. Also, Yato isn't even the one who can use restrain; Yukine is, and he can only do it in his human form (meaning that Yato would have no sword at the time and would be defenseless). It also seems like Yato's barriers can't actually prevent non-supernatural beings from crossing them. With this, it seems that almost all of Yato's notable techniques are either useless or very limited in use in this fight, which means this comes down to who lands a killing blow first. This would be Brain, since his field and nail clipper give him extreme speed and accuracy. Yato has the skill advantage, but that won't be enough when four simultaneous slashes are coming at him at blinding speed.

Wait, Brain resisted Mindhax?

Can someone link me that? If he actually did that it should be on his profile.

Here's a quote from volume three chapter two:

"The woman's eyes went wide, and her red pupils seemed abnormally large.

In that moment, a fog suddenly clouded Brain's mind, and he felt favorably disposed toward the enemy before him. However, he dispersed the fog with a quick shake of his head.

'...Mystic eyes, huh? My will isn't weak enough to be affected by that sort of thing alone.'"

I was wondering why it wasn't on his profile, since it happened shortly before the scene where he got humiliated by Shalltear. I guess people forgot about it since it was cut from the anime.

AnonymousBlank said:
Wraiths and shadow demons do exist so its possible ... but New World natives are trash so its unlikely they managed to kill one outside of hero level characters who run some magic weapons.
I see Brain losing either way. Yato has the speed advantage (amps help close it), invisible restraints, mind manip, teportation and barriers. If Brain can't actually put him down, or even incap, then an otherwise good match because a stomp which is rather sad.
I'm quoting this old comment to see what's been changed.

Yato's mind manip is useless, the speed advantage can be closed and perhaps surpassed. What can be done about the invisible restraints, teleportation and barriers? Well, if it's used at the start of the battle, sure Brain can use his Field to feel it and counter, but anything else? Does the skill difference allow him to consistently counter it due to being an extremely well trained soldier, or does a God's far greater experience and practice preclude that?

Furthermore, what advantages does Brain have? I see Yato with 3, but Brain with the multiple cuts ability.

Now, onto whether the barriers work or not, would Verse Equalization make Brain get treated as a supernatural being, or wouldn't he and therefore be able to cross them?

@Mand21

1. Yato cannot use invisible restraints without reverting his sword to its human form, which he probably won't do since it leaves him defenseless. His teleportation can only be used to go to shrines associated with him and to anywhere he has an "active connection" to, making it near-useless in battle. His barriers are not like normal forcefields, but are more akin to protective boundaries against supernatural beings, making them useless against Brain. He does have the advantage in skill due to his age and status as the God of War, but there isn't anything that Brain needs to focus on actively countering, allowing him to bring his full strength to bear with impunity. On the contrary, Yato needs to constantly be on his toes in order to react to Brain's martial arts.

2. Brain is Building Level, While Yato is at least Small Building Level. This means that Brain is at least equal to him, and at most 400 times stronger (though that's really pushing it). That's without even considering the increases in strength and speed from his martial arts that would no doubt widen the gap further. Brain also has the exact same advantage in durability. Yato has the advantage in speed, being at least equal to brain and at most less than five times faster, but Brain's Field and combined martial arts let him react to and easily contend with characters much faster than him. Yato has the advantage in stamina, but that won't really factor in since this will all be decided by whether's Brain's martial arts allow him to overwhelm Yato. Lastly, they have equal range.

3. As far as I know, Brain does not get equalized here. Verse equalization usually only applies in certain situations. An example would be for Jojo characters who normally can't be beaten by non-stand users, or magic resistant characters fighting a character with some other mystical energy source similar to magic. I don't think there's any reason for it to apply here.

Brain isn't supernatural at all in regards to the New World, although some of enchanted equipment is.

Well, supernatural beings in Noragami seem to be mostly Gods and evil spirits like Phantoms from what I can tell. I'm not sure how magic interacts with Yato's barriers.

I'd suggest looking at the idea that maybe Verse Equalization would make anyone who can be an enemy of Yato be stopped by the barriers. After all, the verse did never expect a non-supernatural being to even try to face Yato most of the time, unless Father has shown to be immune to these restraints and barriers and to have superhuman physical attributes comparable to Yato's at the same time.

I'm not so sure. Verse Equalization, much like Speed Equalization, is usually used to make a fight fair, where it would otherwise be either a stomp or not fair at all. Treating Brain as a supernatural being seems pointless since Yato still has other abilities he can use, and some advantages of his own.

Actually, differently from speed equalization, verse equalization is to be assumed as a part of the SBA, so it's always in use. Verse Equalization is most definitely in action, what it's doing to the fight is the only debatable thing.

Back