• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Calc Stacking Issue Related To Speed (Redone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said I would be remaking this thread, and I am. You can look at the previous thread for context. And because of the lack of staff present in the previous one, I'd like this to be done again, with more staff preferably this time.

Okay. So, to summarize my entire proposal here from before.

The Issue With Our Calc Stacking Rule

As written on the calc-stacking page currently, this is the reason why we don't allow the use of calced speed for other feats:

Using speed of characters or attacks calculated at other instances can't be used, as characters and attacks can vary in speed. This is the case regardless of whether the character is seriously trying to do his best or anything similar.

Like I said in the beginning, the general idea of this is still fine with me for us to use here. My proposal is not to remove this rule. My proposal, however, is for us to change the way we apply this rule to the site. Here is why this is a problem.

THE ONLY reason why our site considers using calced speed for other feats calc stacking for high results, is because of this idea that a character and their attacks can have varying speeds. Or in other words, character's magically move slower than they normally move at, even when they are serious. Not only was this never given a proper explanation of why this would happen, this literally makes no sense and is inherently flawed logic to an extreme.

Statistics like speed are not assumed to be at distinctly different levels across instances here, under normal circumstances. In other words, when a character is serious in the middle of battle, doesn't lack a power-up, doesn't purposely lower themselves, doesn't have their stats altered, and has otherwise no reason to be moving at slower speeds, we take them to move at the same levels of speed they always move at. Speed isn't something disproportionate like this.

Because speed isn't disproportionate like this, and will not normally change across different instances a character is involved with in their series, there is no legitimate reason to say a character's calculated speed from one instance couldn't ever apply to the character in another instance. How we generally treat a character's speed completely goes against what the calc stacking page says, and gives no real justification to ban the use of calced speed for characters. This is why I advocate for this rule to not be removed, but changed.

My Proposal To Fix This Issue

My proposal is simple. To fix this, we should allow the use of a character's calculated speed, on a CASE BY CASE basis.

If the Character who has a calced speed is getting blitzed, reacted to, or dodged has a justified reason to be using their normal speed, that character should be allowed to have there calced speed applied, as they won't be moving slower in this instance to make us think it can't be applied.

At the same time, we can still ban their calced speed from being used if the character has a justified reason to NOT be using their normal speed. Such as, are they fatigued? Are they purposely moving slower? Did they lack a power-up? Did they have their stats altered? Reasons like this would still allow us to restrict calced speed from being used.

Hence forth, we make this rule case by case.

How We Can Restrict Calc-Stacking Under These New Conditions (PLEASE READ!!!)

On top of making this case by case, I also have a proposal on how to restrict the use of accepted calc stacking. PLEASE READ THIS, as this was said earlier but has only now been noticed.

To prevent someone making chains of calc stacking when using a character's calced speed, we can give calc stacking exactly the same scrutiny we give Multipliers. We give parameters that need to be met for a character's calced speed to be applied, and then, we increase the burden of proof the higher someone tries calc stacking feats. @Agnaa summed this up in a great way higher above:

"How would you feel if the standards were essentially just "Give calc-stacked results the same scrutiny as Multipliers"? Substituting "It has to be a statement from a reliable source" with "There cannot be anything indicating they're slower (holding back, being fatigued, lacking a powerup, etc.)

Low increases won't require much scrutiny except for the character with the higher result actually being shown as stronger/faster. While higher increases (over 100x) will start requiring supporting feats on that level not achieved through calc-stacking."

For this reasoning, the solutions given and the parameters set to still safely keep it under control, calc stacking should be able to be accepted on a case by case basis.

And because this was frequently brought up, im going to hammer in my counters against the points brought up from the last thread from the disagreeing side.

Counter 1: "Calc Stacking Brings Up "Inflated" Results"

This has been the most brought up counter against my thread and why calc stacking is supposedly bad. This is an inherently flawed argument.

It is not your call to decide a result is inflated for a verse that could very well support the results being legit for them. Which is why a case by case suggestion logistically works better for this. If the verse supports it, it should be acceptable. If not, then we can reject it. This is not that hard.

Counter 2: "This proposal will, in effect, cause many of our profiles to get mass upgrades without restriction"

This is another point thats been brought up a lot, and while understandable, this is also something that isn't problematic. Or should not be problematic under these conditions.

Giving Calc-Stacking the same exact scrutiny as we currently give Multipliers already puts a stop to this from happening. We already have the burden of proof of proving a character's true speed was used in the scenario that other characters blitzed, dodged, or reacted to them, and then have the requirement of proving the feats are not outliers for their series. After this, the rest is taken care of by the same process of how to treat multipliers. New feats with similar results without calc stacking would be needed to be gathered in order to legitimize higher results being legit. Not to mention, since these are calculations, verses on this site will already be required to be evaluated before they can be accepted here. No matter how popular or unpopular the given series is.

We have strong suggested parameters here to make acceptable calc stacking be kept on a leash without being abused. What more is needed to make this acceptable? And if more is supposedly needed, suggestions are helpful.

And at the bare bare minimum here, we would still need to actually change the calc stacking page regardless. As long as the rule specifies that "speeds can vary" is the reason we prohibit calc stacking, it is already alluding to the fact that non-varied speeds that don't change are able to be used. So either we completely change the reason why we restrict calced speeds to something else, or we make calc-stacking acceptable to some degree under what is said on it. It has to be one or the other.

All my thread was given was just a "no", "im against any form of calc stacking" and nothing more as reasons to go against this Ant.

Im not trying to make things difficult here, but none of the staff members that rejected my proposal gave actual concrete legitimate reasons as to why this doesn't work. And that isn't fair at all.

All my thread was given was just a "no", "im against any form of calc stacking" and nothing more as reasons to go against this Ant.

Im not trying to make things difficult here, but none of the staff members that rejected my proposal gave actual concrete legitimate reasons as to why this doesn't work. And that isn't fair at all.
Okay. Can you list all of the ones who replied previously, so I can call upon them again then?

Just ping all the staff members here. Let's give this thread a last chance and call all staff members to see what they think. Calling only the same staff members again would achieve nothing different. Although, I'd appreciate that they make their points known here too so that other staff members can take it into account rather than searching for it in the previous thread.

Also, note that this is strictly staff only. There has already been a lot of discussion in the last thread, Kukui has already summed up everything in the OP, so it should just be open to staff members to give their opinions on.

Last edited:
Im gonna be going to work now, so if I don't answer back fast, this is the reason why.

And again, I am not trying to be difficult about this or try and force my proposal above other's, and I apologize if that is what it looks like. I just don't want this thread to be given the typical "no", "Calc stacking as a whole is just bad", "Calcs can't be used in the same scene" repeatedly verbatim reasons and then brush everything I said off to the side before closing it.

I'd appreciate some actual responses to my points when disagreeing, so I know the disagreeing side addressed me.

Also, if I may suggest, maybe you should tag Ryukama as well if he is still on the site? I remember that he expressed issues with calc stacking rules before too, and if he's willing to comment, he could give a helpful opinion on this.

I have my own inherit issues with calc stacking that are mainly opinionated issues with calc stacking, like the wanked results from calc stacking several values over and over, bringing inconsistencies and huge outliers and such.

But if our main and only justification for it not being used is "umm they can be inconsistent", then that's an issue.

So I guess I agree unless we find better reasons to not allow calc stacking.

I still disagree based on what DontTalk, Bambu, Armor, Qawsedf said in the last thread.

I have my own inherit issues with calc stacking that are mainly opinionated issues with calc stacking, like the wanked results from calc stacking several values over and over, bringing inconsistencies and huge outliers and such.

But if our main and only justification for it not being used is "umm they can be inconsistent", then that's an issue.

So I guess I agree unless we find better reasons to not allow calc stacking.
^
And I would appreciate if people would stop saying “disagree for same reasons from before”

I countered those reasons, so you need to re counter them again for them to hold here.

Not how it works. Just because you can keep replying to them doesn't mean you have eviscerated the arguments others have made. This isn't a battle of attrition where you have to keep replying to each other repeatedly.

Not how it works. Just because you can keep replying to them doesn't mean you have eviscerated the arguments others have made. This isn't a battle of attrition where you have to keep replying to each other repeatedly.
You know very well this isn’t what I’m doing here AKM. It’s a normal debate.

You gave reasons to disagree with this. I countered those reasons. So why would you not re counter them?

Because your counters don't take anything away from those reasons. They still stand on their own. Like I said, your replies haven't eviscerated the arguments made by others.

And what says that? The fact your unwilling to respond to them makes me think otherwise

Or else, you’d explain why they don’t eviscerate your points. That’s basic debating.

I'm unwilling to respond by making a lengthy post because I'd be stating more or less the same reasons people covered in the last thread, and I don't see the need to do that as DontTalk, Bambu, Armor, Qawsedf, etc. already had a 3 page discussion on it and my views align with them. I don't think anything is going to come out of this back and forth, so I'll stop cluttering this thread and you should too.

You wanted more staff input even though several staff members including bureaucrats, consultants, sysops, calc members, etc. have already rejected this idea (but apparently that's not enough), so just wait for more input.

Yes and those very same people who your opinion cling to, I responded to as well. Half of
those people didn’t even return to the thread

And for the people who did give input, all of that can literally just be summed up with: “no”. “I don’t think this solves the issue”. “I’m against calc stacking of any kind”.

What do you think about this?
At the moment its more or less universally opposed, neutral, and one person who agrees on it on the basis that our current system doesn't tackle the issue sufficiently enough. All in all the proposed idea basically rejected.

Under the specific reasoning the page uses, it doesn’t tackle it sufficiently.

Unless we completely change the reason to ban calced speed from being used, the pages justification is just simply flat out terrible.

But, like how I asked last time, why would the speed need to be stated?

I don’t see how a character taking a fight seriously or being shown to not have their speed falter wouldn’t already fulfill that precisely.

Just because it is a fan calc doesn’t mean the character wouldn’t be moving that fast if they are in an instance where there real speed being used is pretty obvious.

Just because it is a fan calc doesn’t mean the character wouldn’t be moving that fast
That's exactly what it is. Fan calcs repeatedly run into story issues where a character is far slower than what we say they are. Its why combat speed as a term was invented in the first place as a way to handwave the issue.

But the points moot anyways considering the overwhelming pushback against the idea.

That's exactly what it is. Fan calcs repeatedly run into story issues where a character is far slower than what we say they are. Its why combat speed as a term was invented in the first place as a way to handwave the issue.
This, again?

A character running into an issue where they perform far slower than claimed to be doesn’t mean they magically moved slower

It means this instance is an anti feat that contradicts them from ever being that fast in the first place. This is just normal anti feat territory

This doesn’t mean the character in THIS specific instance moved slower than they normally do. Not without context saying so.
But the points moot anyways considering the overwhelming pushback against the idea.
Based on faulty logic that, if they thought was ironclad, they would defend. But can’t.

I'm remaining neutral on this subject. I will say that I'm worried about if this is even going to effect that many verses if it gets accepted. Honestly, none of us are crazy enough to just blindly accepted calcs that would buff characters to speeds that far exceed their shown capabilities. I know this would likely lead to multiple threads of people complaining why a verse didn't get a calc accepted while another did via calc stacking but that happens for a verity of things. However, I'm not someone who is good with calcs (I've only done one and it was plain and simple) so I myself don't know if it's a good idea.

I disagree, there's no "case and case basis" in which this calc stacking would be reasonable.

As an example, it is known as a fact that Lady Nagant's bullets are faster than 45% Deku, who is Mach 63, so what happens when you apply that to this calculation? Well, you get a Deku suddenly reaching sub-relativistic speeds, and going with your changes there's absolutely no reason this wouldn't apply.

And I know you said that the numbers being extremely high wouldn't matter, but if they're going to be classified as outliers anyway, what is even the point of this change?

And I know you said that the numbers being extremely high wouldn't matter, but if they're going to be classified as outliers anyway, what is even the point of this change?
This is exactly what’s part of the problem here. What basis do you have to just blindly think it’s going to end up as an outlier without even giving the given series a chance to prove it isn’t?

If I can provide an argument for a given series that the high result won’t be inconsistent, but I don’t even have the opportunity to argue it isn’t because of some universally assumed rule, I sure as hell will have a problem with that.

On top of this, I also can’t help but notice that people who disagree with this keep mainly referring to specific verses in particular as their basis to disagree, giving the impression that their mindset is only geared towards not wanting specific series to be effected by this.

I have to mostly disagree with this. It should fall under much, much stronger scrutiny than multipliers because we're the ones calculating the speed difference as well. Multipliers are a narrative/non-narrative fact.

That being said, some authors have very specific speed feats for their characters. For example, Kid Flash travelled thousands of miles in a matter of hours at his top speed (albeit weakened and distracted by a fight), which is very consistent in-series with characters calling him faster than sound. I think it might be fine if some character is overtaking them at a very visible and consistent rate, rather than just moving so fast that they look like a blur (like 99% of fighting manga). But I also don't think it's worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back