• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Commander Shepard vs The Thing - Mass Aliens

Well thought this might be an interesting idea

Plot: Shepard has been tasked with another assignment on Noveria, he travels in his mako alongside Garrus and Tali. As they drive closer to it they hear transmissions that sound panicked and scared. "D-Don.......don't go here.......i-it touched one of us.............ahghghghhghhhhhh!!!" before it cut off.

"Shepard.......maybe we should just leave this be?" Tali muttered as she tried to regain the signal, to no avail.

Shepard checked his firearms and glanced at his squad before saying "We can't let this thing get loose......I'll go alone, Garrus keep the engine running and calibrate the guns. Tali see if you can keep my signal. I'm going in." and with that the human spectre would exit the Mako and proceed to make his way inside.

"Well........better get calibrating......." Garrus muttered as he sought to take his mind off things as Shepard entered into the base........
  • Speed is equalised
  • Soldier Shepard is being used, his tier 8 equipment is restricted
  • The Thing has taken control of 10 scientists
  • Shepard knows not to let the thing touch him but nothing else
  • Fight takes place in a military/science base with the thing people spread out across the base, the power is out
  • Win via any means
I should go: 0

Alien Ditto: 0

Incon: 0

Few questions.
So paragon or renegade Shepard. I know it says win by any means. But is Shepard shooting everything on sight? Or if he sees a scientist will treat it like the scientist (in the case of paragon he'd probably protect it and renegade would blow it away and not take chances).

I also assume Shepard is unaware of the weakness to fire.

Shepard is unaware of the weakness to fire, however Incendiary ammo is something that soldier Shep will be using very often so him having it on his guns off the bat already isn't out of the question. There's also Inferno grenades that he can use too in this regard, worst case he just has to press a button to swap ammo types.

As for morality I highly doubt Shepard would let any of them get close to him to begin with given what he already knows and will assume hostiles and SBA means he's willing to kill anyway, its not like its the first time he'll have been in a base full of monsters anyway and considering he's familiar with reaper indoctrination I'd say he wouldn't take chances here.

Bump, I also want to say with regards to Shep's morality if we go by the default background for them iirc that's Earthborn/Sole Survivor. Ergo these two backgrounds lean to renegade with neutral by default, this would also include Shep having to survive against Thresher Maws which would have been a scary situation by default.

Scenario me this.
Shepard goes into the base alone. He turns the corner and sees a scientist whimpering. But upon seeing Shepard, the scientist throws his hands up.
"Oh thank god," he cries. The scientist begins to describe a monster that killed each of his colleagues one by one.

What is Shepard's reaction?

Hmm....

I guess I'll put in my feedback. So first thing to note how this is effectively a coin toss you could say. If Shepard uses anything except the guns the Thing is weak to, Shepard gets infected in one go And if Shepard uses any of the guns the Thing is weak to, then it's an easy clean up.

One touch from the Thing is infection. Compare that to husks that can slap Shepard but normally Shepard can shrug it off because not only would have shields but it's also a matter of how much damage. Now Shepard gets touched, if he gets anyTHING in contact with him.

Now the the reason the Thing is weak to fire is because of the heat. Which means not only fire but extreme heat weapons like plasma and particle weapons. So things like the collector particle beam, geth shotgun, geth SMG, geth spitfire, and prothean particle rifle. Those on top of the incendiary grenade, incendiary ammo, firestorm.

So the way I see this fight going is Shepard opens fire on a Thing creature. If he doesn't realize the gun is ineffective (he might just think that he needs to shoot it more) the Thing wins. His combat software includes enemy analysis so he should realize something is wrong. If he realizes it's ineffective he yanks out somethign else. Maybe a new gun, maybe a new ammo type. If it's the right one he melts his foe, now knows it's the secret sauce and proceeds to clean house. If he gets the wrong one, times up, he gets touched and infected.

Hmmm...there is another scenario. We don't know how fast Thing infection is but it seems there is time. Meaning he can get touched, eventually gets the right weapon, cleans house, then kills himself to prevent the spread.

It's also why I ask about the scenario as Shepard coudl try to protect the civie then civie touches him and infects him. It's even been suggested that many infected are completely obvious. Sleepers that don't realize their fate up until their body bursts open.

Though there is another aspect. The one touch infection mostly applied to modern humans in antarctic clothing, not a armored and contained suit. Meaning as long as he has a helmet the one-touch infection is nullified.

There's also the question of how effective the other weapons are. Sure the standard gun will probably be little threat. But what about the arc projector? Electricity should fry every cell in its body. Then there are the cryo rounds, grenades, and weapons. Even if the cryo doesn't outright kill the thign it should effect it enough to slow it down and make room for another gun.

Explosives will be a bad idea. We see that dismembered parts of the Thing are still fully functional. Even a sample of blood taken had a life of its own. So blowing up the thing will result in very much alive biomass all over the place .

I'm gonna have to say Shepard edges out on this. Especially if we treat it as a normal bug hunt.

Back