• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Condensing Natural Phenomena into one page

I personally also think that a single page seems less complicated and confusing to keep track of.

To me (perhaps to me only but I would like you to think):

Making all natural phenomena into one page can become very crowded.

I have tried and maybe 24 hours so can dig back the draft.

Splitting it into several pages for main natural phenomena (storms, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc.) will make things more systematic while keeping things relevant and precise.

It is easy to just say "I prefer this" "I prefer that" but I would like you all to think about it.

Spoken from one who actually attempted to draft them into one page.

(please try to fix your eyes at the natural phenomena part as I have other irrelevant parts in the sandbox)

To me that is oversimplifying. You can continue to see if we can classify them into several big categories. Maybe we can "meet the middle" by actually having several pages of each main phenomena. Then some events can be grouped and make things more precise (which is what you should aim at in condensing things into one page) while keeping relevant distinctive information distinctive enough.

And it will be easier for future maintenance work when we group the pages of small pages (like St Helen eruption, Krakatoa eruption) into several main natural phenomena (volcano eruption) instead of just calling it "natural phenomenon".

Like if some volcano calculation or references has to be edited, one needs not to compete against other calculations like earthquakes and storms.

(Meanwhile, I would like to hear why some of you prefer one single page of all natural phenomena over several big ones.)

On a separate topic, despite whether the condensed natural phenomena pages be condensed into several big pages or one super big page, we still need to standardise/redesign our framework on how to cramp the standardised and condensed information (it may be easier if we design this for several pages instead of one big page but still a format is needed).

Last edited:
Jasonsith seems to make good points. Thank you for helping out.

What do the rest of you think?

You can send a notification message to the rest of the staff members who have responded here previously if you wish.

Can somebody summarise what currently needs to be done here please?

I've never commented in this thread, I can't really help summarise it.

What to do for us:

Summarise how many big types of natural events are there (earthquake, tsunami, volcano eruption, rain/rainstorm, snowstorm, star supernova, etc.)
Possibly list some ways in calculating yields for fictional natural events (like yield in drilling a hole from an earth surface to the earth mantle through the earth crust, yield in pumping lava from mantle through crust to surface, yield in forming clouds, etc)
List yields and other specific stats for specific new events (e.g. Krakatoa eruption, KT event, Chernobyl Incident, etc.)

Then someone make drafts on how each new natural event pages would look like.

I have never done anything related to natural events. I won't be of any help here.

I recall this being a really old topic and remember agreeing, but don't know what was the popular opinion for this.

I think everyone agreed, we just needed someone to make a draft for the new page

What to do for us:

Summarise how many big types of natural events are there (earthquake, tsunami, volcano eruption, rain/rainstorm, snowstorm, star supernova, etc.)
Possibly list some ways in calculating yields for fictional natural events (like yield in drilling a hole from an earth surface to the earth mantle through the earth crust, yield in pumping lava from mantle through crust to surface, yield in forming clouds, etc)
List yields and other specific stats for specific new events (e.g. Krakatoa eruption, KT event, Chernobyl Incident, etc.)

I think everyone agreed, we just needed someone to make a draft for the new page
I think that this seems reasonable. Should we summon all of our current calc group members to this thread in order to hopefully help out?

I remember Jasonsith said he was gonna do a sandbox of it all by himself but then we all forgot due to gfycat stuff.

I remember Jasonsith said he was gonna do a sandbox of it all by himself but then we all forgot due to gfycat stuff.
And one of my findings is that cramming everything into one page is not a good idea.

Grouping the natural events by phenomenon ctaegory then list out notable events of such will be far more readable.

That seems like a very good and rather easily applied idea. Would somebody here be willing to handle it please?

That seems like a very good and rather easily applied idea. Would somebody here be willing to handle it please?
I could. What do I need to do?
What to do for us:

And one of my findings is that cramming everything into one page is not a good idea.

Grouping the natural events by phenomenon ctaegory then list out notable events of such will be far more readable.
See here please.

@IdiosyncraticLawyer @Tllmbrg @Jasonsith @KLOL506 @DarkDragonMedeus @SamanPatou @Agnaa @DemonGodMitchAubin @Andytrenom @Celestial_Pegasus @CloverDragon03 @LordGriffin1000 @LordTracer

Are you willing to help out here please?

Or should we get all of these types of events properly calculated, then place those calculations in a single page, and then turn the old pages into redirect links, instead? That may be a better solution.

Well we are first deciding

1. how many types of big natural events are there

2. Then we decide how typically energy or speed yields of one event is derived.

3. THEN we can fill out how many historical events of one big natural event are there, and backtest our calculation against the ones calculated outside and post both findings and compare.

Say Krakatoa eruption, St Helen eruption etc all gets combined to t he page of volcano eruption (with brief event background listed), KT event will go to meteor strikes, etc.

Big direction is: condensing numerous occasions of big natural events into several pages classified by types of big natural events.

3. THEN we can fill out how many historical events of one big natural event are there, and backtest our calculation against the ones calculated outside and post both findings and compare.

Say Krakatoa eruption, St Helen eruption etc all gets combined to t he page of volcano eruption (with brief event background listed), KT event will go to meteor strikes, etc.

Big direction is: condensing numerous occasions of big natural events into several pages classified by types of big natural events.
Thank you. I think that the following pages should likely be sufficient to find all of our wiki's natural event pages:

To me (perhaps to me only but I would like you to think):

Making all natural phenomena into one page can become very crowded.

I have tried and maybe 24 hours so can dig back the draft.

Splitting it into several pages for main natural phenomena (storms, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc.) will make things more systematic while keeping things relevant and precise.

It is easy to just say "I prefer this" "I prefer that" but I would like you all to think about it.

Spoken from one who actually attempted to draft them into one page.

(please try to fix your eyes at the natural phenomena part as I have other irrelevant parts in the sandbox)

To me that is oversimplifying. You can continue to see if we can classify them into several big categories. Maybe we can "meet the middle" by actually having several pages of each main phenomena. Then some events can be grouped and make things more precise (which is what you should aim at in condensing things into one page) while keeping relevant distinctive information distinctive enough.

And it will be easier for future maintenance work when we group the pages of small pages (like St Helen eruption, Krakatoa eruption) into several main natural phenomena (volcano eruption) instead of just calling it "natural phenomenon".

Like if some volcano calculation or references has to be edited, one needs not to compete against other calculations like earthquakes and storms.

(Meanwhile, I would like to hear why some of you prefer one single page of all natural phenomena over several big ones.)

On a separate topic, despite whether the condensed natural phenomena pages be condensed into several big pages or one super big page, we still need to standardise/redesign our framework on how to cramp the standardised and condensed information (it may be easier if we design this for several pages instead of one big page but still a format is needed).
The draft seemed ok to my but I see your point.

I guess this can work, I can't help with the the calc stuff since that's beyond me.

Noted.

Will find some time to read through them during the weekend.

And really try to regroup them before making drafts of separate group pages

Thanks for the reminder\\Is really squeezing time to condense things

(hate that mobile phones are great at chit chats but not at organising works)

First
Glitch Event, Comet Telos Impact Event, Meteor (One Punch Man) and The Cosmic (CAOS) are irrelevant to our discussion, but are in the "events" category somehow.
Ask relevant verse knowledgeable members on how to reallocate such events.

Second, most pages in "real world" refer to real world animals, plants, weapons and vehicles so I will not touch most of them.

Now, the current classification:

Group into "Earthquake"
1960 Valdivia Earthquake
1964 Alaska Earthquake

Group into "Explosion incidents"
Halifax Explosion
Chernobyl Incident

Group into "Volcano eruption"
[/vs]Island Park Caldera super-eruption[/vs]
Krakatoa Eruption
La Garita Caldera super-eruption
Mount St Helens eruption
Mount Tambora Eruption
Mount Vesuvius eruption

(just keep as is)
Black Hole Collision Event
Hurricane (Real World)
Meteor Crater (should we rename that as Meteor Impact?)
Supernova
Theia Impact
Tornado

(up to discussion of whether to keep or set a new profile)

Chicxulub Impact Event (it is the biggest meteor collision / impoact event that caused the ultimate extinction of dinosaurs)
GRB 080916C
Ophiuchus Supercluster Eruption
SGR 1806-20 Starquake (should we group it under "Starquake"?)
Toba Mega Eruption
Tunguska Event

Back