• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cross universal scaling issue and matter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I updated my post while you were writing.

Anyways to everybody that's possibly ignoring me except for Antvasima, i have once again presented this potential matter to Lord Kavpeny himself.

Alright!?

Now he said that this was a good idea since mainly we don't want to end up with canon characters having inflated tiers due to cross-universal scaling.

I am fine with a rules page, but somebody has to write it as well.

Given that i am the one that brought this up, i'm likely to write this. But i won't gurantee that it'll be a very good job.

I'm not ignoring you, my response was that it should be a rule not a page. That's why I said "basic rule"

Alakabamm said:
I'm not ignoring you, my response was that it should be a rule not a page. That's why I said "basic rule"
Hmmm.

Well either a rule or a page regarding this matter is actually fine either way.

I'm not ignoring you Cross, I'm sorry I couldn't write a response (didn't check the notification for this thread)

Faisal Shourov said:
I'm not ignoring you Cross, I'm sorry I couldn't write a response (didn't check the notification for this thread)
Hmm.

But do you at least agree on what i'm going by making a rule of sorts regarding the matter of not using cross-universal scaling?

I should also note that someone at one point months ago wanted to have Albert Wester be upgraded to Tier 2 or some s*** like that just because beat Galactus in Marvel vs Capcom 3.

We should probably wait with the rules page until Lord Kavpeny has taken a look at this.

Antvasima said:
We should probably wait with the rules page until Lord Kavpeny has taken a look at this.
Well he did say he's going to give his words on this when he gets back.

Hmm.
But do you at least agree on what i'm going by making a rule of sorts regarding the matter of not using cross-universal scaling?

I should also note that someone at one point months ago wanted to have Albert Wester be upgraded to Tier 2 or some s*** like that just because beat Galactus in Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Yes you can make the rule (if Kavpeny approves), although I find it funny that anybody would ever refer to crossover events in vs debate with canon profiles, that's just lacking common sense

I also agree with Ant that we don't need anymore non canon profiles

Faisal Shourov said:
Yes you can make the rule, although I find it funny that anybody would ever refer to crossover events in vs debate with canon profiles, that's just lacking common sense

I also agree with Ant that we don't need anymore non canon profiles
IKR? Again, someone literally wanted to have Wesker be upgraded or at least have his UMvC3 feats be put onto his page months ago, it's crazy.

I suppose that's right. I mean we already have enough non canon pages that we allowed to have here. Don't want to fill this site here with hella lots of them so....yeah.

Gemmysaur said:
Crossover version of characters like that in Super Smash should be taken as their own. Not as part of the original due to the variant power levels.
For example, multiversal pizza.

Multiversal Pizza - Shin Megami Tensei Dante
Super Munchies Time

Nice pizza yum. Anyway idt we should scale at all from the cross overs at it can contradict with the verses real power if its canon and does not as it gives a boost in power it can be considered though it has to be scalable to others Ultimate MVC3 is a very ridiculous in doing that…..

I really thought that we wouldn't need a discussion about this... it's obvious really. Also talking about game mechanics such as being able to defeat Galactus because he's a fightable boss as an in-canon feat? You should know better. (fighting game pet peeves, don't mind me... even though this really shouldn't be an issue)

@Mandrakk: Like i said earlier, i actually talked to Lord Kavpeny himself in private on this and he actually agreed that this could be a good idea and told me to make a thread first so the community could talk about it a bit first...

CrossverseCrisis said:
@Mandrakk: Like i said earlier, i actually talked to Lord Kavpeny himself in private on this and he actually agreed that this could be a good idea and told me to make a thread first so the community could talk about it a bit first...
Well as it's own seperate continuity and canon that's okay but I mean... using game mechanics are still some that shouldn't be done. Of course, the characters are going to be scaled within their own series based on what their story and profile is. Also which character perspective is considered canon (protagonist).

But yeah, I do think it's a good idea. As long as the crossover aspect is noted (which it usually is anyways so it's all good)

@Mandrakk: Do you at least agree on where i'm going with on this? Regarding how we don't accept cross-universal powerscaling due to the complications that the others have pointed out earlier?

Well that's great.

So far we have you, Faisal (mod), DT(Admin), and Antvasima (bureaucrat/admin) who at least agree that a basic rule of this should be made. Not sure about the others given that they straight up didn't say anyhting about the rest but whatever...

I'm still going to be waiting for Kavpeny to come here given that he not only said that this was a good idea (even though this may kind of be pointless in the sense that we obviously only scale them based on their own feats and misc. stuff form their verse), but also that he's going to try to back me up on this when he gets back online...

Has there been any threads about not using game mechanics, gameplay storyline, etc. as canon when making certain character profiles? Like... different endings in fighting games or what have you depending on the character you play? If not, I might make a thread about it but I'm sure there has been at this point. :eek:

Mandrakk The Dark Monitor said:
Has there been any threads about not using game mechanics, gameplay storyline, etc. as canon when making certain character profiles? Like... different endings in fighting games or what have you depending on the character you play? If not, I might make a thread about it but I'm sure there has been at this point. :eek:
To my knowledge of having been here, not really.

You could make it if you want cause i'm focusing on this matter on my end...

It is similar to this matter and kinda comes to common sense once brought up. So... I probably won't do it thanks to this thread... at least not now anyways.

I mean... a random character in Marvel Super Heroes isn't going to be 3-B or something just cause game mechanics show that you can collect the infinity gems haha, that's not what the in story canon suggest, know what I'm saying?

Mandrakk The Dark Monitor said:
It is similar to this matter and kinda comes to common sense once brought up. So... I probably won't do it thanks to this thread... at least not now anyways.
I mean... a random character in Marvel Super Heroes isn't going to be 3-B or something just cause game mechanics show that you can collect the infinity gems haha, that's not what the in story canon suggest, know what I'm saying?
Hmm, alright.

Well someone thought taht because Wesker was able to beat Galactus in UMvC3, he should be upgraded to tier 2 or something. Oh and yeah, i get ya...

So, is there anybody (preferably a staff member) who is willing to write the regulation page in question? I can correct the grammar afterwards.

Antvasima said:
So, is there anybody (preferably a staff member) who is willing to write the regulation page in question? I can correct the grammar afterwards.
IDK. Lord Kavpeny wanted me to let this made and then he'll come to comment on it. But it seems he's a bit too busy IRL to do so....

Yeah. He has not replied to my private message updates about what is going on in the wiki for several days.

If I was not so tired and unfocused I could write it myself, but maybe the participants in this thread can come up with something by collaborating here, and then the finished text can be posted in a separate page.

Antvasima said:
Yeah. He has not replied to my private message updates about what is going on in the wiki for several days.
If I was not so tired and unfocused I could write it myself, but maybe the participants in this thread can come up with something by collaborating here, and then the finished text can be posted in a separate page.
Hmm, indeed.

Yes, that's a good alternative.

To everyone who agrees that a rule regarding this matter, is there some sort of description we can put up as a rule on the front wiki page or even possibly have it as a potential rule....page?

Do you want a page or a rule? I already stated my opinion on that but I can help create both.

We want a regulation page based on what we have written above in this thread.

Alakabamm said:
Do you want a page or a rule? I already stated my opinion on that but I can help create both.
Well Kavpeny himself didn't say on the matter and i actually don't mind either method. Though i wonder if making a front page rule on this is more convient than making a whole new page on somehting like this,,,

A regulation page is probably best, as a long explanation probably takes up too much room in the front page. But we can probably link to it in the regular rules section.

Antvasima said:
A regulation page is probably best, as a long explanation probably takes up too much room in the front page. But we can probably link to it in the regular rules section.
Fair enough...

Well, maybe it is enough to just write something quick among the front page rules. At least until Lord Kavpeny comes back. I can do that.

== Introduction ==

Oftentimes, series will receive various one-shots or small shoot-offs that merge that verse with one or more others, leading to what is referred to as a crossover. This can generate confusion into what is considered relevant to the scaling of the original verse, especially if the two series vary greatly in attack potency, durability, speed and other relevant stats. Before changing pages to reflect what is seen in such crossovers, you must read the following rule.

== Rule ==

Crossovers in general cannot be used for scaling, with a few notable exceptions.

The exceptions are as follows:

*The character you are changing is exclusive to that crossover and doesn't exist outside of it. In that case, make sure to note that the character is a part of the crossover series and not a part of any of the original series which make up the crossover. This character may not be used to scale characters in either series.

*The crossover series is a verse in and of itself, such as Kingdom Hearts. Do not conduct scaling between verses, even if the character is the same.

*The crossover is considered canon and is consistent with the power levels of both series. There is a burden of proof for this and you must create a content revision thread before making a profile.

I think the rule is fine. If you want to make a page or more people think a page is good, then they can use the template I suggested.

Okay. The rule probably shouldn't be so hard to understand that it requires a separate instruction page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back