• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Darkness is faster than light

In some cases darkness is the same speed or faster than light, so why aren't darkness manipulation users FTL or LS?

Darkness is not a matter that does move, is the lack of photons, in fiction is treated like just another element but it do not have physic principles. Also, not all character with photokinesis is lightspeed.

Darkness moves in fiction, if you expand the concept of dark, however, it may appear that the dark has a "speed" all its own. Consider a dark spot in a beam of light, which might be created by placing a piece of cloth or other object over part of the light source. While this dark spot might not meet strict criteria for total darkness, it travels at the same speed as the rest of the non-obstructed light [source: University of Illinois]. This same speed of darkness holds true if you equate darkness to how long it takes for the light to go away when the power is switched off -- again, the speed of dark, in this case, is equal to the speed of light.

Darkness by default doesn't have some sort of speed, since it's just the absence of light.

If its moving around in fiction then it's just whatever speed the fiction portrays it as.

Darkness shouldn't be able to move if it doesn't have a speed number unless darkness is omnipresent.

By default, it would be, since it isn't really a "thing". It's just something not being there. That's like me saying the absence of my water bottle has a speed that it moves away at when I put my water bottle down somewhere.

Besides, energy projection style attacks can travel at whatever speed the writer wants anyways.

Back