• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DBZ: Unpopular opinions

Basically, your opinions related to the plot of Dragon Ball (Z/Kai/Super, not GT), that not many other people share. THIS IS NOT GOKU VS SUPERMAN OR OTHER BS. It's related to the plot.

Here are a few for me:

- Goku should have married Snow (the girl from the northern village in Dragon Ball) or Bulma

- Power levels are reliable UP TO A POINT

- Oozaru Goku should have had more appearences, at least in the original Dragon Ball

- Master Roshi is the funniest character in the original Dragon Ball

- Tien and Chaozu should have never been bad guys

- Android 18 deserves more attention

- Yamcha shouldn't get a family

- Super Saiyan God Goku is the best aesthetically, out of all of Goku's forms

- Goku vs Frieza 2 should have been longer.

I agree that Android 18 deserves more attention.

Here are mine.

• Seeing Vegeta lose is way more entertaining than seeing him do anything else.
  • Fusion was the only worthwhile thing to come out of the Buu Saga.
  • Dragon Ball's plot is... so bad. All of Dragon Ball's plot, from beginning to end. You can pace and present crap well, and if it's the right audience they'll eat it up no matter what, but it'll still be crap. (I still love it.)

Goku (while being a real lovable and me being a huge fan of him) is a very shallow, bland character who has changed little to not at all as a person throughout his journey. All his conflicts are external and none are internal.

Ryukama said:
Goku (while being a real lovable and me being a huge fan of him) is a very shallow, bland character who has changed little to not at all as a person throughout his journey. All his conflicts are external and none are internal.
Agreed.

I agree with that too, Faisal.

... I'm probably going to agree with a lot of criticisms here.

• Dragon Ball's plot is... so bad. All of Dragon Ball's plot, from beginning to end.
well the RR army saga was pretty good... but everything went to shit after the saiyan saga

"Goku should have married Snow (the girl from the northern village in Dragon Ball) or Bulma"

^This

-Cell should have been the last villian.

-Krillin should have had some more screen time.

-Goku should have had better character development.

- As much as i liked SSJ3 i thought it should have ended with SSJ2 as it was more impactful.

-Supreme Kai should have been more powerful, the way he was introduce made him seem as a badass but in reality he was shit.

-They butchered Piccolo imo he should have been more important but instead he was useless after the Saiyan Saga.( He had his moments though i can't deny that).

-Android 17 should have been one of the z fighters after the Cell saga.

Oh another criticism I have sadly. The SSJ forms are getting ridiculous at this point. There have been at least 21 different forms, states, weird hybrids/variations, etc. of the Super Saiyan throughout the franchise as a whole. Disregarding non-canon we are still left 10 different forms and now possibly an 11th white haired form supposedly.

It really takes away from any of the intrigue or suspense a new form could ever have at this point.

I want an arc where Goku meets Bardok or Gine, or both really, and is given a choice to either stay with his birth parents and learn more about them and cherish the parents he never had or stay with the z fighters. In other words, I want Goku to have some internal conflict rather than external.

• There needs to be more of a focus on better stories, good writing, and proper character development and less on fights.
  • There should be more complex and thought provoking morality and less black and white "good vs. evil" scenarios. More redeemed villains ala Vegeta or Android 18 would be great.
  • There never should have been more than one SSJ transformation aside from (maybe) fusions. It takes away any real emotional and/or narrative impact.
  • SSJ3 and SSJ4 are the best SSJ designs.
  • There needs to be a larger variety of different kinds of fight scenes. Most, if not all of, DBZ's fight scenes feel and look the same and I miss the interesting strategies of DB. Charging up big lasers and screaming gets boring after a while.
  • The art style should return to that of the more cartoony DB / Saiyan saga art, it was far easier on the eyes, much more expressive, and just plain better drawn and more professional looking.

• I agree with everyone who has said 18 needs more love.
  • 17 should have come back, as he was an interesting character and could have contributed a lot to the story.
  • Piccolo is the most well developed and sympathetic character in the series.
  • Goku should have stayed dead after the Cell saga, and the final fight of the Buu saga should have been Ultimate Gohan vs Super Buu. Just have Super Buu get a power up (like he did with Buutenks) to make the fight more tense.
  • Side characters deserve more attention, as they are often more interesting than Goku.
  • Goku and Vegeta should never surpass Beerus and Whis, as that would defeat the point of their characters. At the very most, they should cap at slightly under Beerus level, and that should be treated as a huge moment in the series.

• Piccolo, 18 and probably Tien, 17 and Buu needs more attentions.
  • Similar way, Goku and Vegeta needs less attention.
  • I would like to see more fusions.
  • More variety of skills: punches and ki blast are boring for me now.
  • They should being more consistences with characters durability: being harmed by laser, lava and even bites sound pretty ridiculous to me...

Buu Saga was kind of unneccesary

But I like Vegito, Gotenks and Mystic Gohan

Gohan should be in the Universe 6 Tournament

I need more Future Trunks and Gohan

The arc I like by the story and plot is the Cell Saga

DBS needs hax

i like the fact that Goku hasn't really change over the years tbh the OP I pretty much agree

Goku is too bland to be a really great main character

There isn't enough emotion in the series

Most of the interesting aspects in Dbz are from the show being open to interpretation by fans

Beerus and Whis are the best things to happen to Dbz

Gt had good ideas

There should be less Good vs Evil and instead have morals'/values be factors for fights

Dragon Balls need to stick to their rules

Some characters should die permanantly (like Vegeta almost did in the Buu saga)

Toriyama needs to step his game up

tbh, the thing i liked about broly is his attitude in fighting, and the fact that he was a juggernaut

it wud have been good if he had a better back story and a good personality as a non-LSSJ

Goku should have Gohan and Goten go to Annin to talk to their grandfather every once in a while. I mean, he took Chi Chi

The real cal howard said:
Another unpopular opinion: the last 8 episodes of the original dragon ball should be cano
that wud be cool, but of no importance to the rest of the show

so it wud make no difference, and hence it wudnt be a problem to include them

that wud be cool, but of no importance to the rest of the show

so it wud make no difference, and hence it wudnt be a problem to include them

Exactly, and it shows a certain side of Goku and Chi Chi's relationship. Not just the nagging.

Back