• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - The canon and the non-canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTRODUCTION

Currently, the game Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot is not considered to be canonical to the mainline series. This thread aims to prove that DBZ: Kakarot has canonical elements that can be taken into consideration. This will NOT be an attempt to canonize the entirety of the game, but rather prove we can use it's non-contradictory elements as evidence for the mainline series. Please, enjoy :)

Part I: Why does it have canon material?

There is plenty of evidence that suggests, and outright confirms that Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot is intended to have canonical elements that weren't present in the mainline story, I'll be presenting each and every one of these evidences to this thread to make my point, some of which will be repeated from past threads, but now with a different perspective and a much different objective behind each evidence.
This is of course a very direct confirmation that DBZ: Kakarot must have elements that are intended to be in the original material. This piece of evidence was used in a misguided way, as it was presented as evidence to canonize DBZ: Kakarot as a whole. That is not the case, as this evidence does not prove such thing. However, being presented for the purpose of this thread, it comes off as a much stronger piece of evidence.
Notice how Ryosuke-san doesn't say outright yes to the interviewer's question, but rather states that Toriyama made the setting for the stories for Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, alongside the development team, who also made their own side-stories.
"Are they now to be officially part of the overall canon of the franchise?"
"The first, the settings of Akira Toriyama, should be accepted as part of the main storyline, yes, but to answer your question, not everything"

This leads to my main point in this thread. DBZ: Kakarot has information that can absolutely be taken as canon to the main story, but we should NOT canonize the game itself for it's several contradictions I'm sure you're all familiar with. The elements we should take as canon for both anime and manga would be the encyclopedia, which takes information directly from Akira Toriyama and uses information from the guidebooks, like Daizenshuu.

Some more minor evidence
  • Several promotional material promotes the sub-stories as "the unknown stories inbetween the main story"
  • Kakarot hews closer to the original manga than the anime adaptation, which weighs in at a hefty 291 episodes spanning nine seasons. Either way, it's a lot of ground to cover. Hara says cutting down all that material to make it accessible for newbies was a monumental task.
    "This may seem obvious, but the amount of volume we had to cover was huge, so this was quite a challenge," he says. "But we felt that it was necessary to cover the story in one complete package to truly deliver the appeal of the Dragon Ball Z story, especially for players who know little about the anime."
    "Not only do we focus on detailed moments from the original story, but we also show scenes and settings that will be told for the very first time. Some settings were even shared with us from the author, Akira Toriyama,"
    "We had the chance to send a batch of questions to Toriyama-sensei," the producer says of the team's dialogue with the Dragon Ball creator. "Based on the answers we received, we implemented them into the game as sub-quests and conversations between characters."

Kakarot's calmer moments are captivating, too. You can zip from beneath the surface of a lake and crack through the clouds in the blink of an eye. But don't let all those opportunities to explore fool you: Kakarot isn't an open-world game. This was a deliberate choice the team made in order to remain as faithful as possible to the source material.

"Our goal was to be true to the original story," Hara says. "And being able to go anywhere at any time would not be faithful to the show. So, it was quite intentional that we didn’t make the game into an open-world game."
  • Promotional Material says stories between the original work are revealed, implying they're canon.

In the text, it is mentioned that the game Dragon Ball Z Kakarot offers the opportunity to experience additional episodes or stories that were not portrayed in the original manga or anime ("原作では描かれなかったエピソード"). These additional episodes are referred to as "substories" ("サブストーリー").

The text suggests that the "DBZK" sub-story provides a platform for enjoying episodes that were not depicted in the original work ("原作" or "Gensaku" in Japanese refers to the original work or canon).

The term 原作 (gensaku) consists of two Kanji characters:

1. 原 (gen):
- Meaning: Origin or source.

2. 作 (saku):
- Meaning: Work, creation, or production.

Combining these, 原作 (gensaku) translates to "original work" or "source material." In the context of anime, manga, or other media, 原作 typically refers to the original work that serves as the basis for adaptations. It is often used to denote the source material from which other derivative works, such as anime or movies, are created.
While 原作 itself doesn't directly mean "canon," it is closely related. The original work, whether it's a manga or a novel, is generally considered the primary and authoritative source for the storyline and characters. In this sense, the term 原作 is often associated with the canon because it represents the authentic and official creation from which other interpretations or adaptations are derived.
原:実はそれも含めてすべて鳥山先生から出てきた設定で、私たちは何も手を加えていないんです。ですから、これは先生公式の設定で、『ドラゴンボールZ』の新たな正史と言ってもいいと思っています。最初に上がってきたときは、本当に衝撃的でした。

Hara: Actually, all of the settings, including that, came from Toriyama-sensei, and we didn't make any changes to them. Therefore, this is the teacher's official setting, and I think it can be said to be a new canonical history of Dragon BALL Z. When it first came up, it was a real shock.

This just further cements the point. We can take information from DBZ: Kakarot, as they are part of Toriyama's setting, much like we do with the anime and game interpretations of the cosmology.

Part II: DLCs are NOT canon

I know you might've been excited to learn about the DLCs and canonizing Bardock again, but unfortunately, the DLCs are not canon and this was said several times and implied by the DLCs themselves.

Uhhh.... That was lackluster. I also have some evidence that it's also canon to the anime for Part III, but I don't care enough to do it. BOOP.

CONCLUSION​

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot itself is not a canon 1 to 1 game to the source material, however it has settings created by the original author and it intends to add more information to the overall story and is referred as "new official story". . .

Therefore we should be able to use it's encyclopedia, and information that doesn't contradict anything, and secondary canon.

NOTE: ELEMENTS THAT DIRECTLY ALTER THE MAIN STORY SUCH AS MIRA AND TOWA, BY DEFAULT, WILL FALL UNDER NON-CANON MATERIAL FRA.

Agree: @Adem_Warlock69, @ProfectusInfinity, @LuffyRuffy46307, @The_Unknown_Warrior1, @CurrySenpai, @Accelerated_Evolution, @henryzx900ruly, @UchihaSlayer96, @Shadow-Ragna, @Lightning_XXI, @LordGriffin1000, @Qawsedf234, @Elizhaa
Neutral
: @Killerdrone123, @Damage3245
Disagree:

Last edited:
Okay, this is WAY better evidence for Kakarot's elements being canon to the manga/anime over just a singular statement from Toriyama so I'm going to agree with this now.

But just to ask now before the thread concludes or is closed or whatever: Are we going to treat the Mira boss fight as being part of the canon or non canon elements to Kakarot? Because Kakarot takes place between Xenoverse 1 and 2 and I'd imagine some can of worms would open if the idea of Xenoverse/Heroes being canon is introduced

Okay, this is WAY better evidence for Kakarot's elements being canon to the manga/anime over just a singular statement from Toriyama so I'm going to agree with this now.

But just to ask now before the thread concludes or is closed or whatever: Are we going to treat the Mira boss fight as being part of the canon or non canon elements to Kakarot? Because Kakarot takes place between Xenoverse 1 and 2 and I'd imagine some can of worms would open if the idea of Xenoverse/Heroes being canon is introduced
Xenoverse and Heroes are already canon to the wider multiverse which the mainline series is in, however Mira's fight evidently didn't happen in the original setting/doesn't fit in the original setting, therefore it will not be canon. I think that makes sense,

Xenoverse and Heroes are already canon to the wider multiverse which the mainline series is in, however Mira's fight evidently didn't happen in the original setting/doesn't fit in the original setting, therefore it will not be canon. I think that makes sense,
Okay thank god that's the case, I could only imagine the chaos which would've ensued had it been the opposite in terms of status. Still it should probably be noted in the OP that Mira and Towa's appearance in Kakarot won't apply to mainline canon compared to the other elements

But my concerns were relieved so I whole heartedly agree with this thread and the usage of Kakarot's elements being used in canon

Ngl I don't feel like reading allat (I'm a dragon Ball fan). Can you redirect me to where it says that the additional story and all that jazz is actually canon so I can agree? Of the stuff my attention span allowed me to read, I have only seen that
1. DBZ: K has canon parts in the story.
2. DBZ: K has parts in its story that weren't in the original anime.

I just need the final evidence that says "these additional stories are canon". Thanks.

Ngl I don't feel like reading allat (I'm a dragon Ball fan). Can you redirect me to where it says that the additional story and all that jazz is actually canon so I can agree? Of the stuff my attention span allowed me to read, I have only seen that
1. DBZ: K has canon parts in the story.
2. DBZ: K has parts in its story that weren't in the original anime.

I just need the final evidence that says "these additional stories are canon". Thanks.

"Are they now to be officially part of the overall canon of the franchise?"
"The first, the settings of Akira Toriyama, should be accepted as part of the main storyline, yes, but to answer your question, not everything"

This interview of the lead producer, I guess.

People are quite afraid that the XenoVerse will become canon to the Dragon Ball multiverse, but either way, at some point or another, it might happen.

But anyway I agree with Dragon Ball Kakarot being canon

People are quite afraid that the XenoVerse will become canon to the Dragon Ball multiverse, but either way, at some point or another, it might happen.

But anyway I agree with Dragon Ball Kakarot being canon
Well DBZ, Super, GT, the movies, and many of the games are canon to Xenoverse and Heroes...but currently we don't treat Heroes and Xenoverse as being canon to the OG manga and Super's continuity.

I mean hell, Heroes' version of Super is a complete deviation from the Super manga's events and goes through widely different stories compared to the later so that's why canon DB is part of Xenoverse/Heroes but not vice versa

I have mixed thoughts on this, but I currently dissagree. How can we know something is one to one to normal DBZ? as you mentioned we don't. We have lots of stuff that both follow and contradict DBZ. The main reason why i disagree is that this will lead to many possible CRT with contradikting information and confusion. We already have mutliable other DB related stuff that are either their own scaling or none canon. We also have much bigger contradiktions with entire character and events that diden't happen in the DB multiverse. So my conclusion is that it feels to contradikting and forced to try to add it to DBZ. But if you can prove me wrong I would happily agree.

The Kakarot encyclopedia states that Super Saiyan 2 is a 2x multiplier and Super Saiyan 3 is a 4x multiplier, for example.
I have no problem with that becoming the case. Multipliers are stated and don't need to make sense with our logic so ssj2 is a perfectly okay number. Even SSJ1 would have been a 10x, but Tori used 20x kaioken and messed up the scaling.

What changes are you wanting to make if this is accepted as canon?
I don't know yet. I will use it to change the currently absurd multiplier for SSJ2, and give SSJ3 an actual multiplier, and probably some additions for the cosmology, but I doubt it will be anything relevant.

It has a ton of evidence, far more than the anime or GT having their cosmology accepted as canon, for how little change it will provide

Well, accepting that the game has "canon enough" elements that can be used for future canon updates might not be as big of a problem as it is directly stated to be the case, I'm just worried that we might stumble into an arbitrary area of what is and what isn't canon in this game, and that also depends on what kind of updates are you guys looking for, as I wouldn't agree to anything that is not supported by the manga and its other canon sources. SS multipliers are already backed up by other official materials (as far as I know), so I won't be against their implementation

Well, accepting that the game has "canon enough" elements that can be used for future canon updates might not be as big of a problem as it is directly stated to be the case, I'm just worried that we might stumble into an arbitrary area of what is and what isn't canon in this game, and that also depends on what kind of updates are you guys looking for, as I wouldn't agree to anything that is not supported by the manga and its other canon sources. SS multipliers are already backed up by other official materials (as far as I know), so I won't be against their implementation
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Yeah, if you can't reliably determine if something within the game is a "canon event" or a deviation, then why are we even to consider this?

Material from the game isn't predictive of what happens in teh actual canon.

I believe it might be a comsology upgrade after this
or even a goku tier upgrade

Those two are the most likely
While this is a guess, this does feel like a CRT that wants to make a controversial change but doesn't want the flak for it, so it's trying to get part of it accepted so the other part has some backing to be used.

Unless the OP clarifies what they want to use with the new canon material for I don't feel comfortable with weighing in.

While this is a guess, this does feel like a CRT that wants to make a controversial change but doesn't want the flak for it, so it's trying to get part of it accepted so the other part has some backing to be used.

Unless the OP clarifies what they want to use with the new canon material for I don't feel comfortable with weighing in.
Keep in mind, DBZ Kakarot has the brilliant changes like:
- Piccolo didn't actually destroy the moon

The only remotely useful info is they state super saiyan is a 50x, which we already know

Utterly agree with this, and its backed up with very good sources. As there are canon stuff but not everything in Kakarot game is canon.

Shouldn't the Future Trunks DLC be canon since its following the the events depicted in The History of Trunks special and Trunks The History - The Lone Warrior special, and also later showing events of how Future Trunks defeated Dabura and Babidi much like in DBS manga? Or nah?

Makes sense that the 6 DLC is canon due to it being the OG Dragon Ball, and pretty cool that they stressed this one is canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back