• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Flaming Chicken vs. Universe-Hopping Scalie

So Sarkhan should have higher AP here(5.99 teraton vs presumably 3.82 if its considered to be a third of Lugia), and with enough power pumped into it Banefire can overcome resists. This is seen both on the card and how it managed to throw off Ugin enough that Bolas was able to kill him in their otherwise equal fight. Sarkhan isn't a haxxy planeswalker, but Moltres isn't of that ilk of character either. Right now i'm thinking Sarkhan, unless Moltres is one of those characters that has more dura than AP or pressure would instantly exhaust Sarkhan, which seems unlikely.

I'm not sure Moltres isn't that haxxy. I mean, not much has shown it tends to go for hax right off the bat, but it definitely has hax.

But given Sarkhan has Red, Green &... Blue... mana? He should be pretty haxy, too, depending on what spells he has. Does anyone know a list of spells Sarkhan Vol has? (I swear I thought he had Black mana.)

Anyway, assuming I'm not being math dumb again, Sarkhan is roughly 156.8% as strong as Moltres .

Dumbest way this could end: Sarkhan hits Moltres, injuring it. Moltres, as it's said to do, goes to a volcano to dip and heal. In an astonishing bout of incompetence, Sarkhan loses track, both forget about the fight, & Moltres loses by retreat as forfeit.

But in all seriousness.... Going by profiles, Moltres is Very High stamina, & High intelligence. Sarkhan is Very High stamina, above average intelligence.

Also, why is it that we don't seem to mention the abilities Sarkhan has from his Planeswalker cards? My best guess is we don't have much context as to what they do in lore, even if MtG is known to associate certain actions with certain types of things in lore.

Sarkha Vol's Planeswalker Cards .

Anyway, going by what's on the profiles, Moltres has a good amount of hax.

It might get screwed over if Sarkhan can use green or red to throw something that counts as Rock-type to a Pokemon, but he likely wouldn't know of that weakness, & his first resort seems to be fire, dragons & melee. If his weapons are metal, those might be resisted, but unless he has very heatproof weapons & knows that, he probably wouldn't use them on a 2-meter tall flaming bird.

Supposing Moltres has both Pressure & Flame Body, it would make the fight challenging for Sarkhan, since it means he spends stamina twice as fast, & any time he makes contact with Moltres, he has a 3 in 10 chance to get a burn. And Pokemon-style burns not only do gradual damage, but reduce physical attack.

Either of those are troublesome for a brawler, especially if he has to flap his wings to fly as a dragon. (Assuming he can't do so with Blue magic.) AFAIK, Agility is useless in Speed Equalized.

Speaking of burning, I think Moltres might get to its hax a bit quicker in this match. Since Sarkhan has Fire Manipulation & mastery over Red & Blue mana -the former for fire use, & both can do redirection- he might be able to redirect Fire attacks.

Although, Attack Redirection isn't on his profile so, uhh....? (This is why a list of spells would be good.)

Point is, if Sarkhan does fight fire with fire, or redirecting fire or such, Moltres with its apparent High intelligence think to change tactics.

Some of its tactics: Safeguard. (Not likely to help, but High intelligence would want to be prepared, & combatants by default, don't know of each other; Odds are, this would help Sarkhan even if Moltres did it to ensure it can go all-out.)

Leer to lower Sarkhan's physical defense, and assault him with Wing Attack, Peck, & if it has the free time, Sky Attack. Notably, Sky Attack can cause Flinching (About 3 in 10 odds, if game mechanics are any basis.) which may give some extra opportunities for Moltres to take action.

Sunny Day is quite notable, as it powers up Fire-type Attacks (by about 1.5 times, according to game mechanics.), & lets the powerful Solar Beam without the need for recharging, temporary as it is.

Air Slash can make Sarkhan Flinch as well, Flamethrower, Ember, & Heat Wave give it more options to burn Sarkhan. Fire Spin can let it add more residual damage.

Burn Up has utility here, since if Moltres notices Sarkhan using Rock-based attacks, it can make these a little less debilitating. Hurricane is notable for it's 30% chance to inflict Confusion status when hitting -although the move is less accurate in intense sunlight, like from Sunny Day- & Confusion will mean a 50% chance for Sarkhan to waste time hitting himself every time he tries to do something while confused.

And most notable is Roost, which could arguably negate some of its Flying-type's weaknesses, but more importantly, let it heal itself by landing. Finally, there's Ancientpower, which has a 10% chance of raising all Moltres's stats when it hits. If it hits. But considering Sarkhan's only about 157% as strong as Moltres, this is a big difference when Moltres's AP & durability get raised. Unlikely in most cases, though.

The point being, assuming Moltres has all its moves & both its abilities, it can (& likely will, given apparent High intelligence.): Safeguard to temporarily block statuses against itself. (Even if Sarkhan can't inflict any, it likely won't know that.)

Make Sarkhan use twice as much as stamina via Pressure (Both have Very High Stamina.), & make him likely (3/10 odds.) to get burned on contact, giving him residual damage & weakening his physical offense.

Add more gradual damage via Fire Spin, use Sunny Day to power-up its Fire-attacks, as well as try to intimidate with Leer to lower Sarkhan's physical defenses.

If it notices Sarkhan redirecting Fire or the like, it can just switch to Air Slash, Solarbeam, or melee with Wing Attack, Peck & Sky Attack. If it gets to drop Sarkhan's physical defense via Leer, it can be on nearly equal terms.

Via flinching via Air Slash & possibly Sky Attack, as well as Hurricane's possible Confusion, it should be able to get opportunities for set-up. It can also heal itself via Roost if it gets the chance.

And if it gets Ancientpower's boost, Moltres would be roughly on par with base Sarkhan. Unlikely, but very good because of healing, flinching, confusion & burn.

As for Banefire, I'm not sure it'd be his first resort, but especially if Moltres has noted Sarkhan's higher statistics, or just used Burn Up -meaning it wouldn't resist Fire anymore- it would be likely to try Endure, allowing it to survive what would otherwise KO it.

Moltres even has arguably better range. Sure, Sarkhan has extended melee to Moltres's Standard Melee range, but Moltres is kilometers with large-scale like Sunny Day & Hurricane, to Sarkhan's meters with his fire & spells. And if his weapon can be melted or disarmed....

TL;DR - Sarkhan isn't very haxxy, supposedly, & while he has better AP & Durability, & is likely the better brawler -before Leer- Moltres's High intelligence & ability to inflict flinching, confusion, burns, residual damage via Fire Spin, & survive with Endure, & arguably its fire resistance mean it could win a battle of attrition; Luck becomes less of an issue because once it gets an opportunity, it can land, heal with Roost & keep going; OHKO's can be survived with Endure. Meanwhile, Sarkhan has to deal with Flame Body on contact, & deal with his Very High stamina vs Moltres's Very High when he's losing it twice as fast to Pressure. I don't doubt a Red/Blue/Green (& Black, I'd assume.) could be very haxxy, but his profile doesn't list a lot of abilities that stuff of those colours have, so I have to assume he doesn't have them. If he did have a bunch of those abilities, it could be argued he could just use some of Black's Death or Void Manipulation, Blue or Red's Mind Manipulation, Green's Statistics Amplification, or heck, his Summoning that his Planeswalker cards suggest. But as is, such abilities aren't on his profile, so I assume we can't assume has them in this battle. Heck, he doesn't even have the Durability Negation it seems like Banefire should have, if he does have it. Sorry about all the words. Hope this helps! (Also, shame on me, voting for a Pokemon character with a Mew avatar. Shame on me.)

Damn, nice vote, no arguments here.

Sarkan has access to the magic colors, but as far as I recall he's never really shown much outside of going in and out of dragon mode and some flame spells such as Banefire.

I think he also has a form of Animal control with dragons, although that just might be him communicating with them normally. I wouldn't be surprised to see some mental resistances seeing as he's endured being brought to madness several times, although that's not much.

Yeah, Sarkhan has colors capable of hax, especially black and white, but hasn't used them. I disagree with some of your reasoning, but I'll type a response to that later.

Since when did Sarkhan use white magic?

And he has access to the colors, but not necessarily any specific hax unless he's explicitly demonstrated it.

New card is partly white. Seems weird to me, but eh.

Wait, no, I was thinking of Sorin. He has blue, which is even haxxier and easily the haxxiest normal color in MTG, but he hasn't done any of the stuff blue can do with it so can't be considered. He's actually used everything except white.

Back