• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Goku Vs. Superman (Splatfest Edition)

Superman is definitely not a one dimensional character lol. More complex than Goku for sure, though tbf Supes has had far more writers and has been around for longer. Not really sure how open this should stay either, what with people already getting mad apparently.

Wokistan said:
Superman is definitely not a one dimensional character lol. More complex than Goku for sure, though tbf Supes has had far more writers and has been around for longer. Not really sure how open this should stay either, what with people already getting mad apparently.
Superman literally started like 99% of the modern Super Hero tropes today. He's definitely 1 Dimensional. He's all for justice, protecting the innocent and shit, while also having a "bad" side to him when he's pushed to the edge, and blah blah blah.

Goku's got the privledge of being a protagonist, while also not being a Hero. Like...at all.

Besides, it's my opinion. No need to reply to it.

Superman's definitely more multifaceted than that, don't really feel like going into why. Goku's the classic blood knight heroic spirit shonen protagonist gig, and likely codified many of those tropes himself. Putting out an opinion and then complaining about people responding to it is a silly thing to do.

No offense man, but that's like...the worst generalization of Superman I've ever seen. Goku's faaar more one dimensional, being probably the least developed of his circle of friends barring like, Tien. Plus, with your logic, Goku started 99% of the modern Shounen tropes.

Feel like I should share this. A genuinely moving comic from the 'cliche, one-dimensional' Superman that has helped a friend of mine

AntorusTheBurningThrone said:
Dragon Ball, cause I don't like generic 1 dimensional super hero complexes with their undergarments outside their ******* pants.
Clearly you've only seen BvS and nothing else

GyroNutz said:
Feel like I should share this. A genuinely moving comic from the 'cliche, one-dimensional' Superman that has helped a friend of mine
You took it from the "no suicide" stuff from the rules, didn´t you?

I haven't read the rules in all honesty, but I have seen it in Superman's profile. Knew about it beforehand though

AntorusTheBurningThrone said:
Dragon Ball, cause I don't like generic 1 dimensional super hero complexes with their undergarments outside their ******* pants.
This is a terrible oversimplification of Clark's character.

Almost anything you can say about Superman can also be said about Goku, and vice-versa; both are incredibly recognizable character, which started many cliches, and due to that, are now seen as generic and one dimensional due to the cliches that they started.; you can't say you don't like one of them because of that, but still like the other, they both have great things to offer if you look for it.

I personally like more Goku than Superman because Goku has more character develoment.

I mean, you can see Goku right when a baby, then a kid, then a teenager and so on, while Superman is usually just baby (briefly just to show how his parents sent him to Earth), then it´s just skipped right to adult, which is kind of lame IMO.

I don't really like neither Goku nor Superman all that much, I just think they're ok, but I can respect what they both represent, and their importance to their respective medias.

@Bob Actually, there's a ton of else world stories where they show the back story because it just lasts a few comics, or maybe one. Also, the canon versions also have lots of comics entirely devoted to when they were kids/when he was a teenager.

ByAsura said:
@Bob
Actually, there's a ton of else world stories where they show the back story because it just lasts a few comics, or maybe one. Also, the canon versions also have lots of comics entirely devoted to when they were kids/when he was a teenager.
Then again, how many versions of Superman we have around?

We may already have it for at least 1 of them, but as each Superman is technically an entirely different character, it can´t really be just assumed to be pasted the same way for every Superman.

Oh Cal, I just saw your comment. It may be right, but I can´t see it also fitting with this.

I've heard that the number, including random appearances, numbers in the thousands.

I was talking about each rather than across the board, as an example, Pre-Crisis had a long running comic about superman as a boy.

I prefer stuff that has a solid timeline.

Dragon Ball is just more simple and easier to follow up.

Meanwhile, I always fear that I´m accidentally compositing every Superman I see into only one when I attemp to follow DC.

The thing about superman is that while Dragon Ball is a verse largely centered aroung Goku, DC comics are a setting where different stories take place. DC comics also has had far more writers and iterations than dragon abll, which obviously creates more variance. Both formats have their merits, I mean look at my wall, lots of the verses there don't exactly have the most linear timeline, they're just different.

Depends on the versions.

I'd take Xeno Goku over like, 90% of Supermen anyday.

Those 90% are basically the Jesus Supermen.

The other 10% are supermen that actually has a Story oUo

The real cal howard said:
No offense man, but that's like...the worst generalization of Superman I've ever seen. Goku's faaar more one dimensional, being probably the least developed of his circle of friends barring like, Tien. Plus, with your logic, Goku started 99% of the modern Shounen tropes.
B91
jojo make shonen mahnga first

I just prefer to stick to series that have a cosmology that anyone can understand without having to compile every single artwork of it to the point not even the writers themselves can fully understand.

I´m not going to just like a character the same way as the "main canon" one just because they are basically an high quality ripoff of that one in a different setting, even if they are in the same multiverse or so.

Nah, I personally find that a lot of the fun is in trying to understand and make sense of where stuff fits together. I mean, I do consider Dark Souls my favorite games for a reason, and not just the excellent gameplay.

Well, I have to admit that DC isn´t half bad, but it simply isn´t really my taste.

To each their own I guess.

Back