• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Guilty Gear: Scaling Revision (Part 2)

DarkGrath

Top Tiering Advisor in Liyue
She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
Human Resources
This is a Part 2 for this thread, concluded about a week ago now.

As I alluded to on the previous thread, the scaling on Guilty Gear profiles is quite messy. Everyone in the verse scales to a single top-tier feat, even characters who are unambiguously not on the level of the character who performed the feat - a few profiles scale to evidently non-canon material - the justifications give inconsistent results when looking at each profile in tandem - and some profiles have keys that are either needless or unclear in their purpose. The purpose of this thread is to fully address the proposed new scaling for each Guilty Gear profile. I will start by outlining the general "categories" that each character fits into, why those categories scale to a certain tier, and then I will provide a document with each proposed new Attack Potency section for each profile and their justifications. Let's begin.

Top-Tiers: These are the characters who scale in some form to Justice's gamma ray feat. This feat has been calculated in the past, and is currently used on the profiles, but @CloverDragon03 had some issues with the assumptions of the original calculation. He has recalculated the feat here, and this recalculation has been accepted.

This recalculation still produces a result in the same tier as before - namely, High 5-A - but it does reframe how I would consider character scaling to it. With the previous calculation, there was an element of ambiguity about whether Justice would scale to the same tier as this feat. You may recall the issue with this if you were on the previous thread, but for those who weren't: in the scene where Justice performs this feat, it is implied that Justice is amped, with one of the characters stating that her gamma ray is done at "Maximum Output + 40". With the previous calculation, taken at the highest reasonable interpretation of this line (that is, that her output was 41x higher than it usually is), this would have placed Justice at 5-A. Considering the ambiguity, I suggested scaling all top-tier characters to "At most High 5-A".

With this new calculation, this ambiguity isn't really present - even taking this line at its highest reasonable interpretation (that is, that she was buffed 41x over), Justice without the amp would still be around 5x baseline High 5-A. The fact that I can't think of any way to frame this line such that Justice without the amp would be less than High 5-A, combined with the fact that several characters by now arguably scale above Justice, leads me to think the Top-Tiers should simply be listed as High 5-A (downscaling from 3.33 quettatons). This category includes the likes of Justice, Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, and Asuka R. Kreutz.

Low-Tiers: These are primarily the characters who have only scaled to the top-tiers thus far due to a lack of other substantiating feats, and for the most part, these make up the characters who are currently listed as "Possibly/Likely High 5-A" on the profiles. Luckily, we now actually have a feat we can scale them from.

In Guilty Gear Xrd, Potemkin is capable of striking an opponent against the ground with enough force to burrow them through to the other side of the Earth. This was calculated with various methods here, and what was eventually accepted was the 7-B end. More precisely, the maths for 2 7-B ends were accepted - one for hitting Bedman through the Earth, and one for hitting a Potemkin clone through the Earth.

I included the second calculation here due to the theoretical instance that we consider the Potemkin mirror match in Xrd -Sign-'s Arcade mode to be valid, but I would argue we should use the lower Bedman end. For one, this Arcade Mode storyline is of dubious canonicity - and even if it is canon, we still don't know if this "Shadow Potemkin" has the same weight as the real Potemkin, which the original calculation has to assume. I'm not content with that assumption, so I would recommend we scale the Low-Tiers based off of the lower end 7-B (scaling around 8.9 megatons). Considering the general ambiguity in this category about how far the potential of these characters go (especially owing to the fact that, considering the nature of a fighting game, there's always at least a very tenuous argument to be made for a character scaling to higher characters), I would suggest listing these characters as "At least 7-B". This category includes the likes of Potemkin, May, Bridget, and Chipp.

Ambiguously Top-Tier: This is another necessary category to ascribe the characters who might scale to the Top-Tiers, but have some kind of questionable context that voids giving a completely decisive rating. A few examples include Goldlewis (who is claimed in an off-hand statement by a probably unreliable source to be "stronger than the entire secret service", which would include Giovanna (who doesn't currently have a profile, but would be a Top-Tier)), Delilah (who briefly claims to be stronger than Bedman but doesn't really have any decisive feats), and Leo Whitefang (who has fought alongside Top-Tiers like Ky Kiske, but explicitly as their inferior to some degree). These characters will generally be given Likely/Possibly High 5-A depending on how strong the evidence in favour of their scaling is, and if they do scale to any low-tiers as well, they're also given At least 7-B.

One more thing to note - some of these characters get their scaling from Bedman, or more precisely, causing trouble for Bedman while he was at less than 8% of his power. It's not completely clear exactly how comparable Bedman is to Justice, just that they should be around the same level. You could argue, if you take the highest interpretation of Justice's gamma ray feat (that she was amped 41x over while doing it), and then scale these characters to less than 8% of base Justice, that these characters would actually only end up at likely/possibly 5-A. I'll leave this as an open point, but I'd like to use the same reasoning from the previous thread and denote that - because this requires very specific assumptions about multipliers under ambiguous circumstances - that it would be more appropriate to just downscale them considerably from the High 5-A feat. I'll leave that as an open point, and just leave my suggestion as likely/possibly High 5-A for each of these characters.

With this all in mind, we have three distinct categories that each character in the verse fits into:
  • The Top-Tiers (High 5-A, downscaling from 3.33 quettatons);
  • The Low-Tiers (At least 7-B, scaling from 8.9 megatons);
  • The Ambiguously Top-Tiers (likely/possibly High 5-A, potentially downscaling from 3.33 quettatons)
I have written up a full blog post detailing my proposed suggestion for every character's Attack Potency section, detailing what category they would fall into, the justification for that category, their appropriate keys, and full references for almost every claim. Importantly, I should note that I have not addressed the Low 1-C scaling (beyond some grammatical changes, and removing a couple of justifications that don't explain why they're Low 1-C in the first place), for various reasons. I may discuss this in a future CRT, but this is not the purpose of the present CRT. Presently, this blog contains my proposed changes to the Guilty Gear profiles, and I ask that it is at least broadly evaluated for any discrepancies.

In conjunction with this, the previously listed Justice calc and Potemkin calc should be added to the verse page calculation section, with the former replacing the currently listed calculation for Justice's feat.

One final thing - checking through every profile in detail has alerted me to the alarming fact that, ever since its creation in 2015, Asuka's profile name has been misspelt. His name is "Asuka R. Kreutz", and his profile reads "Asuka R. Kreuz". While handling all of these changes, I think it is well in-order to fix this error by now.

I believe that is all. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
From Part 1:
Guilty Gear has recently been my Dorky Fixation That Will Inevitably Fade Away In Two Weeks™️
This was May 15th, which means we have to get this done within six days while the spark is alive. Should be doable.

This recalculation still produces a result in the same tier as before - namely, High 5-A - but it does reframe how I would consider character scaling to it. With the previous calculation, there was an element of ambiguity about whether Justice would scale to the same tier as this feat. You may recall the issue with this if you were on the previous thread, but for those who weren't: in the scene where Justice performs this feat, it is implied that Justice is amped, with one of the characters stating that her gamma ray is done at "Maximum Output + 40". With the previous calculation, taken at the highest reasonable interpretation of this line (that is, that her output was 41x higher than it usually is), this would have placed Justice at 5-A. Considering the ambiguity, I suggested scaling all top-tier characters to "At most High 5-A".

With this new calculation, this ambiguity isn't really present - even taking this line at its highest reasonable interpretation (that is, that she was buffed 41x over), Justice without the amp would still be around 5x baseline High 5-A. The fact that I can't think of any way to frame this line such that Justice without the amp would be less than High 5-A, combined with the fact that several characters by now arguably scale above Justice, leads me to think the Top-Tiers should simply be listed as High 5-A (downscaling from 3.33 quettatons). This category includes the likes of Justice, Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, and Asuka R. Kreutz.
No objections to updating based on the renewed calc.

As an aside, where does the 41x come from? Him saying "plus" instead of "times" or some equivalent would make me think it isn't a multiplier.

Low-Tiers: These are primarily the characters who have only scaled to the top-tiers thus far due to a lack of other substantiating feats, and for the most part, these make up the characters who are currently listed as "Possibly/Likely High 5-A" on the profiles. Luckily, we now actually have a feat we can scale them from.

[snip]
Makes sense.

Ambiguously Top-Tier: This is another necessary category to ascribe the characters who might scale to the Top-Tiers, but have some kind of questionable context that voids giving a completely decisive rating. A few examples include Goldlewis (who is claimed in an off-hand statement by a probably unreliable source to be "stronger than the entire secret service", which would include Giovanna (who doesn't currently have a profile, but would be a Top-Tier)), Delilah (who briefly claims to be stronger than Bedman but doesn't really have any decisive feats), and Leo Whitefang (who has fought alongside Top-Tiers like Ky Kiske, but explicitly as their inferior to some degree). These characters will generally be given Likely/Possibly High 5-A depending on how strong the evidence in favour of their scaling is, and if they do scale to any low-tiers as well, they're also given At least 7-B.

One more thing to note - some of these characters get their scaling from Bedman, or more precisely, causing trouble for Bedman while he was at less than 8% of his power. It's not completely clear exactly how comparable Bedman is to Justice, just that they should be around the same level. You could argue, if you take the highest interpretation of Justice's gamma ray feat (that she was amped 41x over while doing it), and then scale these characters to less than 8% of base Justice, that these characters would actually only end up at likely/possibly 5-A. I'll leave this as an open point, but I'd like to use the same reasoning from the previous thread and denote that - because this requires very specific assumptions about multipliers under ambiguous circumstances - that it would be more appropriate to just downscale them considerably from the High 5-A feat. I'll leave that as an open point, and just leave my suggestion as likely/possibly High 5-A for each of these characters.
This seems sensible, and I am inclined to agree with your point about the multipliers.

I have written up a full blog post detailing my proposed suggestion for every character's Attack Potency section, detailing what category they would fall into, the justification for that category, their appropriate keys, and full references for almost every claim.
Might be prudent to add a scan for Dragon Install Sol > Ariels statement. Also Sin Kiske's justification doesn't have hyperlinks for Sol and Ky, you do that everywhere else so I am assuming you intended to do so there, as well. I will take the many "fought equally with" justifications at face value as it wouldn't really be practical to scrutinize each and every one, but I've read each of them and they all appear formatted correctly and include a reference, so worst case scenario some future thread could be made by someone who notices a mistake.

Also "Sol Badguy" lol.

Anyways, I agree.

From Part 1:

This was May 15th, which means we have to get this done within six days while the spark is alive. Should be doable.
Hehe.

No objections to updating based on the renewed calc.

As an aside, where does the 41x come from? Him saying "plus" instead of "times" or some equivalent would make me think it isn't a multiplier.
This was basically my point in the previous thread. In the past, Guilty Gear scaled to 5-A because this statement was interpreted as "Justice was at 40x her usual power when she did this feat", and 1/40th of the previous calculation landed at 5-A. I argued in the previous thread that this wasn't supported by the text, and that "+40" in this context could mean many things other than "40 extra maximum outputs".

Also Sin Kiske's justification doesn't have hyperlinks for Sol and Ky, you do that everywhere else so I am assuming you intended to do so there, as well.
That was an error on my part - I'll quickly edit that in.

I think the low-tiers can scale to Bridget instant kill which I remember someone calc to High 7-A.
Anyway, I agree with the rest

Last edited:
I think the low-tiers can scale to Bridget instant kill which I remember someone calc to High 7-A.
Anyway, I agree with the rest
The contentions surrounding that calc were part of the reason this thread took as long as it did to post. In the end, the High 7-A calc was rejected.

Can we use Jack O instant kill feat which is MFTL+?
Also Slayer can punch people from earth to another galaxy in his instant kill but no one calc this feat yet.

Can we use Jack O instant kill feat which is MFTL+?
Speed scaling will be left for another thread (probably a Part 3 to this one).

Also Slayer can punch people from earth to another galaxy in his instant kill but no one calc this feat yet.
I wasn't aware of this feat before now, but there is an immediate issue that comes up with calculating a feat along the lines of "punching someone to another galaxy". Kinetic energy feats (or, feats calculated through the energy something possesses in its motion) cannot be used if the motion reaches faster-than-light speeds, which Slayer's feat definitely would.

Speed scaling will be left for another thread (probably a Part 3 to this one).

I wasn't aware of this feat before now, but there is an immediate issue that comes up with calculating a feat along the lines of "punching someone to another galaxy". Kinetic energy feats (or, feats calculated through the energy something possesses in its motion) cannot be used if the motion reaches faster-than-light speeds, which Slayer's feat definitely would.
Okay, then I agree with everything

A couple of things I'd like to say.

If we're using the Bedman end of the 7-B calcs, the result would be 8.9 megatons.

Secondly, as for the whole "Bedman using less than 8% power" dilemma, my idea was to lowball these characters to 1% of Bedman's power - which would scale them to 33.3 ronnatons, still High 5-A - as they were fighting Bedman at a power level ambiguously below 8%. As such, I don't think their "likely High 5-A" value being that of Bedman's full power is exactly accurate. That being said, I know this isn't exactly an ironclad solution, so I'm pretty ambivalent on how this goes either way.

This is a Part 2 for this thread, concluded about a week ago now.

As I alluded to on the previous thread, the scaling on Guilty Gear profiles is quite messy. Everyone in the verse scales to a single top-tier feat, even characters who are unambiguously not on the level of the character who performed the feat - a few profiles scale to evidently non-canon material - the justifications give inconsistent results when looking at each profile in tandem - and some profiles have keys that are either needless or unclear in their purpose. The purpose of this thread is to fully address the proposed new scaling for each Guilty Gear profile. I will start by outlining the general "categories" that each character fits into, why those categories scale to a certain tier, and then I will provide a document with each proposed new Attack Potency section for each profile and their justifications. Let's begin.

Top-Tiers: These are the characters who scale in some form to Justice's gamma ray feat. This feat has been calculated in the past, and is currently used on the profiles, but @CloverDragon03 had some issues with the assumptions of the original calculation. He has recalculated the feat here, and this recalculation has been accepted.

In Guilty Gear Xrd, Potemkin is capable of striking an opponent against the ground with enough force to burrow them through to the other side of the Earth. This was calculated with various methods here, and what was eventually accepted was the 7-B end. More precisely, the maths for 2 7-B ends were accepted - one for hitting Bedman through the Earth, and one for hitting a Potemkin clone through the Earth.

I included the second calculation here due to the theoretical instance that we consider the Potemkin mirror match in Xrd -Sign-'s Arcade mode to be valid, but I would argue we should use the lower Bedman end. For one, this Arcade Mode storyline is of dubious canonicity - and even if it is canon, we still don't know if this "Shadow Potemkin" has the same weight as the real Potemkin, which the original calculation has to assume. I'm not content with that assumption, so I would recommend we scale the Low-Tiers based off of the lower end 7-B (scaling around 16.2 megatons). Considering the general ambiguity in this category about how far the potential of these characters go (especially owing to the fact that, considering the nature of a fighting game, there's always at least a very tenuous argument to be made for a character scaling to higher characters), I would suggest listing these characters as "At least 7-B". This category includes the likes of Potemkin, May, Bridget, and Chipp.

With this all in mind, we have three distinct categories that each character in the verse fits into:
  • The Top-Tiers (High 5-A, downscaling from 3.33 quettatons);
  • The Low-Tiers (At least 7-B, scaling from 16.2 megatons);
  • The Ambiguously Top-Tiers (likely/possibly High 5-A, potentially downscaling from 3.33 quettatons)
I have written up a full blog post detailing my proposed suggestion for every character's Attack Potency section, detailing what category they would fall into, the justification for that category, their appropriate keys, and full references for almost every claim. .
So are just in agreement that Bridget even being remotely close a dragon installed KY is an outlier.

So are just in agreement that Bridget even being remotely close a dragon installed KY is an outlier.

We don't have to assume that - the game is fairly explicit that they shouldn't scale.

You can't see it in the scene itself, but in the dialogue surrounding her fight with Ky (even in the variants where Bridget "wins"), it's framed as Ky intentionally holding back in his spar to help Bridget see how far she's come. Even when you flawless all the way up to Stage 8, Bridget's first remark about Ky is that his power is seemingly limitless in comparison to hers.

Transforming into Dragon Install is not because Ky needs to, but - as he alludes to in the ending dialogue - that he'll keep striving for his 'own path' regardless of how he looks to others, and that he wants Bridget to know the same lesson.

I vaguely considered giving STRIVE Bridget a "possibly High 5-A" tier for this fight - it wouldn't necessarily be an outlier, since she's implied to be much stronger by STRIVE - but I don't think it's necessary. She's pretty explicitly not on his level, and is practically being mentored by him in this scene.

I vaguely considered giving STRIVE Bridget a "possibly High 5-A" tier for this fight - it wouldn't necessarily be an outlier, since she's implied to be much stronger by STRIVE - but I don't think it's necessary. She's pretty explicitly not on his level, and is practically being mentored by him in this scene.
Isn't Leo's possibly High 5-A for a similar reason, though? Fighting Ky, whilst still being demonstrably inferior, that is. Though, in fairness, Leo also has the Bedman thing

Isn't Leo's possibly High 5-A for a similar reason, though? Fighting Ky, whilst still being demonstrably inferior, that is. Though, in fairness, Leo also has the Bedman thing
That is true, but his rating is primarily for the Bedman scaling. Fighting alongside Ky in the past is just a supporting point.

I don't mind either way, I think it only really affects Bridget anyway. But personally, I'd be fine with possibly High 5-A for Bridget

Yeah, I remember Bridget can fight Johnny in her story mode in Guilty Gear XX

I do remember looking over this when I was handling the blog, but there's a couple issues I have with Bridget scaling to Johnny.

1: As far as I can tell, this path is non-canon (as Bridget's story in XX Accent Core follows on from Path 2 of XX).

2: If it is canon, then it is still questionable - Johnny is known throughout the series for holding back on "pretty women" (which he mistakes Bridget for), and his pre-fight dialogue implies he's not trying to beat Bridget but pressure her to join his crew.

3: When he is "beaten", the dialogue implies that he hasn't collapsed because of anything Bridget did, but because he abruptly realised Bridget was a man and wanted to stop embarrassing himself. So even in a win, this fight doesn't really imply Bridget is capable of harming Johnny.

All factors put together (especially the questionable canonicity) made me willing to write this off as not being suitable for scaling.

Grace has passed, and there is sufficient staff support to approve this revision. However, considering the general complexity of the topic and lingering concerns therein, I may leave this open for at least another few hours in case anyone wishes to provide further input.

Secondly, as for the whole "Bedman using less than 8% power" dilemma, my idea was to lowball these characters to 1% of Bedman's power - which would scale them to 33.3 ronnatons, still High 5-A - as they were fighting Bedman at a power level ambiguously below 8%. As such, I don't think their "likely High 5-A" value being that of Bedman's full power is exactly accurate. That being said, I know this isn't exactly an ironclad solution, so I'm pretty ambivalent on how this goes either way.
I'd admittedly like some input on this, because I feel it's pretty relevant. I don't believe these characters should be scaling to what's basically "likely Bedman's full power" when they can only contend with less than 8% of it

I'd admittedly like some input on this, because I feel it's pretty relevant. I don't believe these characters should be scaling to what's basically "likely Bedman's full power" when they can only contend with less than 8% of it
Yeah, I have no gripes with this. Though if we take the 8% margin as the upper bar, they would still be High 5-A (just at 266.4 ronnatons), so neither the tier nor justification would change. It's just a matter of how the profile is interpreted, not something to adjust about the profile changes directly.

That is true, though I'd like to include it as a scaling note on the verse page for clarity's sake.

I'd be happy to include that as a detail while rewriting the Power of the Verse section, though I currently have nothing drafted as it is.

All good. I can take care of that, provided my proposal is accepted.

Speaking of which...
Yeah, I have no gripes with this. Though if we take the 8% margin as the upper bar, they would still be High 5-A (just at 266.4 ronnatons), so neither the tier nor justification would change. It's just a matter of how the profile is interpreted, not something to adjust about the profile changes directly.
@Deagonx @DarkDragonMedeus What do you think of the above?

Okay, so I'm revisiting this now because Slayer just dropped into Strive, and we've potentially got some new scaling (perhaps some Strive keys) for Slayer and maybe even Zato-1. The relevant scans are as follows.

Slayer:
Zato-1:
As such, I believe that in Guilty Gear Strive, Slayer and Zato-1 should scale to a full High 5-A rating.

Okay, I talked with DarkGrath about this, and to avoid dragging this thread out any longer, we've agreed to save the Slayer stuff (plus potentially other scaling from Strive's arcade mode, since some were more dubious than others) for another thread. For now, we'll just leave it at this.

Back