• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Hammering in the Inconsistency: Bad Scaling and Hammer Units (Team Fortress Revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me, WeeklyBattles, Abstractions, Sir Ovens, and others already agree with what Abstractions said about Hammer Units. Also, I do not support rockets being that slow, so I think it's best to just compare rockets to real world counter parts but avoid downscaling character reactions and movement speeds from the rockets entirely.

Other feats such as repelling arrows are fine to use, but definitely not using the hammer unit scaling given how inconsistent it is.
Well, I am not well informed, so it is probably best to go with what the rest of our staff think is best.

Well, I am not well informed, so it is probably best to go with what the rest of our staff think is best.
I'm thinking Athletic Human for all the Mercenaries except for Scout, who will be Peak Human, scaling for the rest of the verse goes from there.

Only one I'm considering not scaling is Merasmus, who should just be left at Unknown.

I don't see how you are scaling people at all if you said that the current measure is inaccurate and can not be trusted and have not yet provided an alternative.

No offense, but not placing their reactions at Subsonic (via Pyro reflecting arrows) by the claim that we can't use gameplay because its "inaccurate" somehow (even though its an intended mechanic) is, to put it simply, a huge double standard. For any other verse, this would be a straight forward addition.

I don't see how you are scaling people at all if you said that the current measure is inaccurate and can not be trusted and have not yet provided an alternative.
The mercenaries are athletic people, they engage in combat on a regular basis.

Scout is the fastest of the group, having spent his entire life running, in which he moved fast enough to get in front of a train as it was slowing down in a short timeframe, thus his separation in tier.

These are rather self-evident things, unless you would prefer I rate them even lower.

Rtxthegamer said:
No offense, but not placing their reactions at Subsonic (via Pyro reflecting arrows) by the claim that we can't use gameplay because its "inaccurate" somehow is, to put it simply, downplay. For any other verse, this would be a straight forward addition.

This was never the claim and I had specified it was due to the canonicity of the gameplay being put in jeopardy based on the comic telling us the game is a dramatization, but this will be covered at a later date.

The mercenaries are athletic people, they engage in combat on a regular basis.

Scout is the fastest of the group, having spent his entire life running, in which he moved fast enough to get in front of a train as it was slowing down in a short timeframe, thus his separation in tier.

These are rather self-evident things, unless you would prefer I rate them even lower.
And so your entire argument is that "I don't know what they actually scale to, but this is as far as I can low-ball them without being obviously wrong, so that is what I am going with."

Mind you Scout also wasn't really paying attention to this whole ordeal, he was talking out loud and droning on.

Leotamer said:
And so your entire argument is that "I don't know what they actually scale to, but this is as far as I can low-ball them without being obviously wrong, so that is what I am going with."
You haven't proven I'm low-balling them, and if you haven't noticed I've waited and actually requested calculations be done for their speed, so I don't know what's giving you the impression that I'm not striving for accuracy here.

You're implying that I haven't a clue what the mercenaries scale to but I've read through plenty of the material available myself, you don't have a reason to doubt my credibility on the subject.

The argument is that anything less then Athletic Human is utter downplay since these guys are some of the most dangerous mercenaries in the world and should damn well move like athletes.

Also wouldn't spy's feat also be a reaction/combat speed feat? i only calced the movement speed and spy would probably need superhuman reactions to pull it off

I agree with you here, Demoman was past the explosives before they went off
He still outruned the explosion and that still a feat speed and maybe he was past because he was faster that the explosions? and saying that he alredy outruned the explosions is stupid because there arent anything to prove against that and make more sense in the context of the scene

That was a casual feat and isnt a anti feat you know if A character does MSH feat casually then he does a FTL feat A that doesnt mean the FTL feat is a outlier specially when the character pulled the feat casually.
We already explained why the feat isn't valid.

Gonna try to update my spy calc a bit to make it more accurate, since it's very obvious that he traveled a lot more than i calculated

He was already out of the range of the explosions by the time they went off.
He still outruned the explosions if he was slower that the explosions by a large marge the explosions would caugth him and that still a speed feat and should be calced

AKA: you still need to be comparable to the explosion speed to not be caugth and just because you are alredy beyond the explosion doesnt mean he is slower that the explosion and hear me out what if he outrun the explosion? just because he outruned the explosion doesnt mean he haved a advantage

If he was slower that the explosion he would still get caugth that is like saying a human can outrun a bullet because he was 100 meter of advantage yeah he haved a distance advantage but the bullet would still caugth him

I think that most RPG rockets move at subsonic speeds.
Starting at 115 meters a second right out of the barrel and 295 meters a second once the rocket ignites.
He still outruned the explosions if he was slower that the explosions by a large marge the explosions would caugth him and that still a speed feat and should be calced

AKA: you still need to be comparable to the explosion speed to not be caugth and just because you are alredy beyond the explosion doesnt mean he is slower that the explosion and hear me out what if he outrun the explosion? just because he outruned the explosion doesnt mean he haved a advantage
Why should a clear feat of just having explosions go off behind you be anything more then athletic human? You are making a bigger deal of this feat then it actually is.

If he was slower that the explosion he would still get caugth that is like saying a human can outrun a bullet because he was 100 meter of advantage yeah he haved a distance advantage but the bullet would still caugth him
False equivalency. Bullets can travel 100 m easily. Clearly, the explosions here did not travel as far as demo ran before they went off.

Not if he's literally outside the range of the explosion.

...wat

No
Okay he was in the range of the explosion and he was outruning it Just because he haved a distance advantage doesnt mean he is slower he was in the explosion range and he was outruning

Starting at 115 meters a second right out of the barrel and 295 meters a second once the rocket ignites.

Why should a clear feat of just having explosions go off behind you be anything more then athletic human? You are making a bigger deal of this feat then it actually is.
Because he was outruning it? if he was peak human the explosions would caugth him especially when most explosions are supersonic+ and no he was in range of the explosion Just because he was like 4 meters behind make the feat magically invalid

and also when i am refering double standards is because some characters do extremlly similar feats and this isnt accepted

Character that i am refering that escaping a explosions is atleast transonic

He. Wasn't. In. The. Range. Of. The. Explosion.

There is no outrunning here, the explosions happened behind him one by one. Right after Demo already got out of the range of them.

Because he was outruning it? if he was peak human the explosions would caugth him especially when most explosions are supersonic+ and no he was in range of the explosion Just because he was like 4 meters behind make the feat magically invalid

and also when i am refering double standards is because some characters do extremlly similar feats and this isnt accepted
Did you ever hear of this thing called range?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back