• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Immortality (Type 1) minor revision

Catzlaflame

Ephemeral Thoughts
He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator
Haven’t made a thread in a while so I thought I’d make this.

I had a discussion that got me wondering about the immortality type 1 justification. Particularly, the discussion was regarding whether or not Immortality type 1 could grant resistance to disease manipulation.

According to our current Immortality Type 1 justification:
“Characters gifted with this type of immortality cannot die from natural causes, such as old age or conventional illness,

I believe the purpose of this is NOT to say that a character can resist “conventional illnesses,”but rather, it’s trying to say something else.

As we all know, when living things grow older, their organs decrease in quality, their immune function decreases, etc. This, normally, would make older characters more susceptible to disease and illness. However, with characters that have immortality type 1, their organs would NOT go through that natural degradation process and remain at normal levels no matter how much they age.

This does NOT mean that they resist conventional illness,” but rather, that their ability to resist illness doesn’t get affected by age. Our justification does a terrible job at conveying that, and could easily make someone interpret it as “immortality type 1 = resistance to disease manip.” I propose a minor re-write, we replace the aforementioned clause with:

Characters gifted with this type of immortality cannot die from natural causes. Such characters do not experience physiological degradation due to aging, and as such, are not at an increased risk for damage or illness.

Agree: @LordGriffin1000 @DarkDragonMedeus @LuffyRuffy46307 @TWILIGHT-OP @Fallen_Angelicx @Excel616

Disagree:

Last edited:
I think it should be worded differently, or at least say that natural biological degradation can occur, but not outright kill them.
That is already included in the current justification (as in the justification currently accepted by the wiki)

Current justification:
Characters gifted with this type of immortality cannot die from natural causes, such as old age or conventional illness, but can be killed by unnatural causes. To clarify, this type of immortality can include both those who do not age at all, and those who still grow old, but will never die of old age. However, in the case of the latter, it should be made clear that this is not just Longevity, as characters with that ability will eventually die of old age, as opposed to Eternal Life, for which dying of old age is not possible.
In this thread I only highlighted the specific clause I was trying to change because I didn't want to clutter the OP, however, the rest of the justification will of course still remain. Basically it would be the new clause + rest of justificaiton:
Characters gifted with this type of immortality cannot die from natural causes. Such characters do not experience physiological degradation due to aging, and as such, are not at an increased risk for damage or illness. To clarify, this type of immortality can include both those who do not age at all, and those who still grow old, but will never die of old age. However, in the case of the latter, it should be made clear that this is not just Longevity, as characters with that ability will eventually die of old age, as opposed to Eternal Life, for which dying of old age is not possible.

Last edited:
In this thread I only highlighted the specific clause I was trying to change because I didn't want to clutter the OP, however, the rest of the justification will of course still remain. Basically it would be the new clause + rest of justificaiton:
The thing is that I find this line your are proposing a tad bit misleading: Such characters do not experience physiological degradation due to aging.
Because many immortals do experience physiological degradation, which might go as far as incapacitating them without never killing them.

The thing is that I find this line your are proposing a tad bit misleading: Such characters do not experience physiological degradation due to aging.
Because many immortals do experience physiological degradation, which might go as far as incapacitating them without never killing them.
This is as fair a point as any, I'd prefer a rewrite that accounted for this.

Characters gifted with this type of immortality cannot die from natural causes. Such characters may or may not experience physiological degradation due to aging, and as such, are not at an increased risk for damage or illness.
May want to change "natural causes" in the first sentence, but changing it to "old age" seems... I dunno, unprofessional?

Back